G

Hey, can anyone tell me what CAS stands for? I just got this PC133 SDRAM chip, and I checked the bios and it was set to CAS3....what if i changed it to CAS 2? would it be possible? It's also set to 10ns...but there are options for 8ns, normal fast and turbo...what happens if i changed it to CAS@ and Turbo?

mpjesse

Splendid
CAS: Column Access Strobe Latency

CAS is basically the number of cycles it takes your CPU to send one bit to the memory. CAS 2 is obviously faster requiring less cycles to tranfer data between the CPU and the memory- increasing performance.

Most memory will not work at CAS2 if it's branded CAS3. However, Crucial sells CAS2.5 DDR SDRAM that will run fine at CAS2- this is because of the double data rate factor built into the memory.

You can try the turbo- it might work. The worst that can happen is the system will crash or hang- if it does simply reboot and put the settings back to normal. You won't damage anything.

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Still Suck"

Arbee

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
"Most memory will not work at CAS2 if it's branded CAS3. However, Crucial sells CAS2.5 DDR SDRAM that will run fine at CAS2- this is because of the double data rate factor built into the memory."

AFAIK, being able to run at CAS2 has nothing to do with DDR. But I may be wrong...

Cheers,

Arbee