Sign in with
Your question

Powerline or wireless?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
July 19, 2011 10:50:50 PM

Hi there.

I'll be moving in some days and I need to plan how I will set up my network at the new house.
I did this lame chart to explain better how it would be.

Basically what I need is suggestions for the wireless router in the main house, with bandwidth control (I was looking at the TP-LINK 300Mbps wireless routers line), how to connect it to my room, in the back of the house, past some walls and a yard (was looking at powerline, but it seems slow, and I don't want to pass a long cable) and a router on my room (or anything to receive the connection from the house and distribute inside my room).

All devices on the house (two laptops and the printer) are wireless.
In my room everything is connect using cable, but I can leave the NAS and the media center next to the router, connected with cable and buy a wireless adapter for my desktop. So I don't need to pass cables inside my room too.

Any suggestion on what would be the best choice of connecting all that?
Well, no all that, but mainly the connection between the house and my room.

Thanx!

More about : powerline wireless

July 20, 2011 4:26:52 AM

Powerline is fine if both ends are on the same circuit but wireless should be able to cope depending on hte thickness and content of those walls. Seven metres is way less than I am from my router here with "excellent" signal strength to where I'm sitting now.

m
l
July 20, 2011 11:22:46 AM

Saga Lout said:

Powerline is fine if both ends are on the same circuit but wireless should be able to cope depending on hte thickness and content of those walls. Seven metres is way less than I am from my router here with "excellent" signal strength to where I'm sitting now.

I think I'm gonna simply buy a wireless n router and test if the signal arrives ok back there.
If it does not, I try the powerline or cable way.
Now just need to look for good range wireless n routers.
Thanx.
m
l
Related resources
July 20, 2011 5:03:59 PM

is your main router a N-router?

4 to 5 walls might be a lot for the wireless signal to travel trough.

I use a ASUS RT-N12 N-router with DD-WRT firmware as a wireless Bridge Repeater which connects wirelessly to my main router and retransmits the signal. I have mine set half way between the main router and my laptop.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

since this one external antennas you could also connect 7db antennas to extent the range.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
July 20, 2011 5:25:38 PM

I don't have a main router yet. My main router is the ADSL modem I'm using. But the connection on the new house will be cable.
I think I'll buy a TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND, which is wireless n AND has bandwidth control. It also accepts open WRT firmware, as Gargoyle.
So I think I will buy this one and end up passing a long cable to my room. So the laptops and the printer inside the house connects on the TP-LINK router.
In my room I can connect the cable to any router, just to connect my desktop, my NAS and my media center, via wire.
There are too many options to choose from :/ 

Right now only one thing is decided. One of the TP-LINK wireless routers with bandwidth control will be the main router.
m
l
!