Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Suggest UPS for 550 watt Power Supply

Last response: in Components
August 29, 2012 5:59:40 PM

So i have a Corsair 550VX power supply which has 13A rated plug. My UPS is an ICE 600VA one, which does not have a socket big enough to fit the 13A rated plug. Does it mean that the power draw of the SMPS will be limited by how much the UPS can provide? Should i replace the UPS to a more capacity one, so that my SMPS can draw its peak power (when the need be) ? If so, how can i make sure that the socket in my UPS is big enough to fit a 13A-15A plug? Any inputs will be helpful
a b ) Power supply
August 29, 2012 6:00:29 PM

550W PSU should only draw around 4-6A MAX.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 29, 2012 9:53:41 PM

the size of your power supply only has to do with how much of a pc it can run and very little to do with how much of a UPS you need.

A pc's power supply only draws enough from the wall to make the power actually needed by the pc.

There are plenty of guides on the net on how to select the correct size UPS.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
August 29, 2012 11:15:38 PM

^ correct
Example: My system 650 Watt PSU, i5-2500K, ATI 6870 GPU, 16 gigs ram, two SSDs, on HD, A Blur ray writer BUT it ONLY draws 350 WATTs and That Is maxing out the GPU running furmark. When Idle draws less than 150 WATTS.

Ignore the "VA" rating and look at the "Watts Rataing" Compute approx Max computer powr Then look at the Spec for the UPS, ie how long will it run @ max power and at half power. IE if your system when gaming is only 300 Watts and UPS is a 600 WATT (NOT VA) then look at lenght of run time at half power.
m
l
August 30, 2012 3:52:18 AM

My concern mainly came out of the fact that, the 3 pin plug rated 13Amps of the power supply, did not fit into the UPS - it was too big. Hence i thought, if the socket is small enough, it means the UPS is meant to provide less amperes of current.
Now coming across RetiredChief's reply, i checked the watts rating - here is what it says - UPS can provide maximum power of 390 watts. My PSU is capable of way more than that. Theoretically, my rig will not reach that much as of now, but i want to make sure whenever it is required, it should not cause a problem.
m
l
August 30, 2012 9:08:53 AM

RetiredChief - Any inputs on my new reply?
RetiredChief said:
^ correct
Example: My system 650 Watt PSU, i5-2500K, ATI 6870 GPU, 16 gigs ram, two SSDs, on HD, A Blur ray writer BUT it ONLY draws 350 WATTs and That Is maxing out the GPU running furmark. When Idle draws less than 150 WATTS.

Ignore the "VA" rating and look at the "Watts Rataing" Compute approx Max computer powr Then look at the Spec for the UPS, ie how long will it run @ max power and at half power. IE if your system when gaming is only 300 Watts and UPS is a 600 WATT (NOT VA) then look at lenght of run time at half power.

m
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
August 30, 2012 12:07:34 PM

1) I've not found a "standard Computer PSU" Three Prong Plug AC that did not fitt my UPS. NOT to say there are not some as you found out. For this Recommend you get a replacment, they are very cheap.

2) On power requirements there is No simple, one answer fitt all. New egg sells a Cheap Watt meter, which is what I use to establish My power consumption. t simply plugs into the Outlet then you plug the Computer into it. Then measure the idle current and loaded current. For loaded current I run Furmark. Furmark will normally load the computer more than a high end game. The Kill-a-waytt meter is curently $22 at newegg, However is often on sale for around $16.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Another varaible is what you have plugged into the "on battery" typically this only needs to be the computter and monitor, not the printer. In fact I do not even include the Monitor as I just use shork cut keys to kill power. But Most UPS come with a connection to the Computer and software thatr will AUTO shut down when power is lost.

As long as MAX system (on battery backup) is Less than UPS listed Capacity and the run time at max load is 5 Mins or more you should be OK. If Sytem is less than max then run time is extended.
August 31, 2012 6:02:35 AM

Best answer selected by Manoranjan2012.
m
l
!