PC crashing and not turning back on

halfbaked90

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
Hi,

My three year old system has recently developed a problem where I get what appears to be random video card crashes. The screen either goes blue/red or my monitor just flickers and says no signal.

Whenever it does this I have to turn the PC off at the tower, however repeatedly doing this may have caused another problem. Now after it crashes and I turn it off, when I try to turn it back on the fans just make a very loud whirring sound with no display. Eventually after repeatedly turning it off and on again it will andomly work again for a few hours and run video games fine.

I'm replacing my system in 6 weeks but I need to just squeeze a bit more life out of it until then. By spec is:

Processor: Intel Quad Core CPU 2.4 GHZ
Ram: 3070 MB
Video Card: 2 GB Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTX

About six months ago I changed over the graphics card, however my old PSU couldn't support it, so I got a friends second hand one and put that in. Its worked fine for about 4.5 months though so I don't know if this has anything to do with it.

I know a bit about hardware but I'm not exactly an expert so I would appreciate any anywers in layman's terms please.

Also, I have already treid uninstalling/reinstalling my video drivers and cleaning the fans and vents of dust.

Thanks

trapper

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005
I know you re-installed the drivers but try booting into safe mode and doing a full video card driver cleaning and then re-installation. I had a similar issue about 6 months ago with my gtx 460s where it would crash and randomly every 5-6 times work for a bit. After getting into safe mode and cleaning out all the drivers I've had no issues.