Sign in with
Your question
Solved

$330 for most of a computer. Will it work?!

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
May 12, 2012 9:43:26 AM

I'd love to get some feedback or advice on the below build. I'm very new to building computers and I'm not even sure if everything below is compatible. I seriously can't spend more. But saving money on any part (without sacrificing too much performance) would be greatly appreciated!

Approximate Purchase Date: This Week

Budget Range: $400 before rebates is too much, but I'll probably do it anyway!

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming (thinking Diablo III and/or Witcher etc.) with decent fps, but I don't need to max graphics settings.

Parts Not Required: (e.g.: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, case (hopefully), RAM, DVD drive, HDD)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: (e.g.: newegg.com)

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 is native on my monitor, but not necessary for games

Here's the wishlist link:
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

But here's the 4 components I'm thinking of throwing in my case for your convenience:

GIGABYTE GA-A75-D3H FM1 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
$90 after rebates and discounts

GIGABYTE GV-R677D5-1GD Radeon HD 6770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
$85 after rebates and discounts

CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
$45 after rebates and discounts

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX
$110 after discounts

Total comes to $390 before $60 in mail-in rebates which brings it to an eventual $330 after mail-ins.

What do you think? Will it work? Good price?

Thank you so much!

More about : 330 computer work

Best solution

May 12, 2012 12:09:10 PM

That is an incompatible motherboard. You need an am3/am3+ socket. The motherboard you selected is for fm1 socket (llano.) Also what ram are you using? It must be ddr3.
May 12, 2012 12:42:50 PM

At this point, it really seems like you'd be better off with a console. $330 is really low... I'd usually suggest a pre-built, since they can shave money off of components.

I can confirm everything zooted said. Also, that mobo seems pricey.
m
l
Related resources
May 12, 2012 6:16:09 PM

Thanks for the advice! I see the compatibility issue with the mobo now! I suspect I will need new RAM too. I was going to throw in older DDR sticks, but they are probably too ancient to work on a new mobo.
m
l
May 12, 2012 7:59:50 PM

Okay, here's the new wishlist (no seriously I did it right this time! It's not empty!):

I replaced the mobo with this:
ASRock 770iCafe AM3+ AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
$68 after shipping and discount

and added some of your modern day ddr3 ram:
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9S-4GBRL
$22

All said and done, the cost is essentially the same at $390 before rebates and $330 after.

Any constructive thoughts on this? Seems like a cheap, decent-performing build that can be easily upgraded (newer quad-core cpu, a newer gpu, more ram) without starting from scratch in 2 or 3 years.

Thanks again for your help!
m
l
May 12, 2012 11:44:37 PM

Your wishlist seems to be empty. I think you may not have made your wishlist public.
m
l
May 12, 2012 11:50:50 PM

A $330 gaming PC is very doable. I mean D3 is very low requirement. A 6770 will definitely max it out with over 60FPS. That's a good build
m
l
May 13, 2012 12:27:55 AM

Oh, absolutely. A $330 gaming PC is possible (unless you add in the OS and peripherals). Your PSU is overkill, though. You'll only really need 400W.

I'm not sure about the D3 stuff, though. A 6770 probably won't play it on MAX settings at 60fps... although tomshardware did a recent benchmarking of it.
m
l
May 13, 2012 1:48:50 AM

Thanks for the feedback (and encouragement). Sorry the link was messed up. Should be working now. Here it is again for your pleasure:

Please let me know if there's anything wrong with these components, or anything that isn't compatible!

I know the PSU is nuts, but it's got some serious rebates that make it a very good price (about $50). Also, the mobo seems to allow enough flexibility that I could upgrade the cpu and graphics card in a few years, and they might require a larger power source.

If you can find a better deal on a PSU let me know!

Anything that saves some cash, but doesn't hit the performance, (and isn't terrible quality) just link it!

Thanks again!

PS: I have the OS, monitor, case (that hopefully still works) HDD, and other peripherals already, which definitely helps keep the cost down. But even still, many builds for these components get very pricey, or are so cheap that the system can't be upgraded, but must be completely replaced within a year or two (resulting in more spending). Saving a few bucks now for a dead end system sounds like a waste of money.

This seems like it has both cost effectiveness and future upgrade potential . . . . . right?!!??
m
l
May 13, 2012 12:46:59 PM

Don't factor in rebates. They barely ever work.

Anyway, the PSU seems to be fine.

Possibly, you may want two sticks of 2GB RAM to run in dual-channel mode. However, I'm not sure if it runs faster than one stick of 4GB RAM... may want to double-check.

Stuff looks good! Your case SHOULD work... I don't see why it wouldn't.
m
l
May 13, 2012 6:41:31 PM

Thanks again.

I decided on 1 stick of 4 in case I wanted to grab another stick of 4 later. Figured 2x4 would be better than 4x2.

Only reason I'm worried about the case is because my current (very ancient) desktop won't even start anymore, and I suspect it's either the power supply or the maybe the actual power button on the front panel that's the problem (although the mobo itself may just be fried).

I suspect there's no way to find out until I get some parts anyways.

I may just go ahead and order these!!!
m
l
May 13, 2012 7:01:31 PM

reusing old cases is a great idea, easy to modify to your needs, and i doubt your start button is broken, i have 4 cases all older than 7 years and the lights, and all buttons still work. and one was from 1998.. old cases=complete tanks. i could kick my case down the staircase and it would be perfectly fine. idk bout the components inside though lol.
m
l
May 14, 2012 10:46:57 AM

I've never done any modding, but I'm sure it would be very simple to rig up a start button to the motherboard. It's literally just connecting two wires together.
m
l
May 14, 2012 11:13:04 PM

i meant as in getting a regular switch from a local hardware store or an old computer case and scavenging form that, very easy to do. i got a random button at my hardware store to act as a horn button on my lawnmower, just connecting wires and if you wrap up the exposed parts with electrical tape its fine, also if you got a switch like is on older airplanes, you know simple metal lever switches, it actually looks really nice on a computer case..
m
l
May 23, 2012 8:12:54 AM

Best answer selected by evanxcs.
m
l
!