Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Looking to upgrade a 8800GT

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 9, 2012 2:32:13 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: No rush to upgrade unless a deal presents itself.

BUDGET RANGE: $150 CDN but willing to go to $200 CDN

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: SC2, Dota2, TF2 are the games I main but possible D3?

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: OCZ Stealthxtreme 600w and EVGA 8800 GT

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Antec Nine-Hundred, Intel E8400, Asus P5K-e

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg.ca, TigerDirect.ca, NCIX.com, MemoryExpress.com, CanadaComputers.com

PARTS PREFERENCES: No preference really but I've only owned NVIDIA cards.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes / No / Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: My mobo only supports one PCI-e and I don't plan on OCing.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Just looking for some tips from the community. I was told a 560GTX would be the way to go but again, any information would be helpful. My main concern is if I even require an upgrade or if I'm just spending money for the sake of spending money. If the 8800GT is still a formidable card then I can always wait until something comes along and blows it out of the water.

Thanks again and I'm looking forward to the replies.

More about : upgrade 8800gt

a b U Graphics card
March 9, 2012 3:08:25 PM

There are several versions of GTX560, GTX560ti and GTX560ti 448. In that order from least to most expensive.

However either of those would be held back by your current cpu.

I have no idea what CAD vs. Dollars is either, and it's not my job to convert currency for you. Keep in mind this is an English site so most of us are American or English.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...
Score
0
March 9, 2012 3:18:38 PM

for around $200 you can get a 560ti- very nice card.
For $150 the 560gtx is your best bet from what i see.

I did see a 560ti for $199 on canadacomputers recently, but that was after a mail in rebate...

I had the 8800gt myself and upgraded to a 6950, huge difference. but that was alot more $$$. I would suggest that when you have the $$ you want and are sure you want the card just get whichever fits the budget then, deals are so fickle in Canada for video cards.
Score
0
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 9, 2012 3:21:45 PM

The CAD vs USD (thats right, USD, not Dollars which is what many places call their currency) has been more or less on par for quite some time now.

For that price range a 6870 would likely be the best bet. NCIX has a deal + mail in rebate right now on this card: http://ncix.com/products/?sku=58226&vpn=GV-R687OC-1GD&m...
Score
0
March 9, 2012 3:42:21 PM

geekapproved said:
There are several versions of GTX560, GTX560ti and GTX560ti 448. In that order from least to most expensive.

However either of those would be held back by your current cpu.

I have no idea what CAD vs. Dollars is either, and it's not my job to convert currency for you. Keep in mind this is an English site so most of us are American or English.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...


I never asked you to convert currency? I merely asked for the community's opinion on what would be best given my budget of $200 Canadian dollars, which is more or less on par with American currency. I don't even know why you threw in "this is an English site so most of us are American or English" when I'm clearly typing in English.

Anyway, thanks for your input.
Score
0
March 9, 2012 3:44:54 PM

thenewlexicon said:
for around $200 you can get a 560ti- very nice card.
For $150 the 560gtx is your best bet from what i see.

I did see a 560ti for $199 on canadacomputers recently, but that was after a mail in rebate...

I had the 8800gt myself and upgraded to a 6950, huge difference. but that was alot more $$$. I would suggest that when you have the $$ you want and are sure you want the card just get whichever fits the budget then, deals are so fickle in Canada for video cards.


Yeah the deals are constantly changing and since I've been out of the loop for awhile I wasn't quite sure exactly where to get some input.

I built my first and current gaming rig with the help of the community here back in 2008, and it seems the 8800GT is still serving its purpose almost 3.5 years later. I'm not looking to shell out a ton of money so I might just wait on it.

Much appreciated.
Score
0
March 9, 2012 3:46:53 PM

trapper said:
The CAD vs USD (thats right, USD, not Dollars which is what many places call their currency) has been more or less on par for quite some time now.

For that price range a 6870 would likely be the best bet. NCIX has a deal + mail in rebate right now on this card: http://ncix.com/products/?sku=58226&vpn=GV-R687OC-1GD&m...


Thanks, I'll check this out and compare it to the 560.

This card looks like a beast, hopefully it'll fit in the case that I have as there isn't much more room back there.
Score
0
March 10, 2012 2:05:12 PM

Shameless bump for any more opinions?
Score
0
!