Compatibility and Price Check

ekremmert

Honorable
May 12, 2012
Hello, I'm planning to set up a new build and wanted to check if they are compatible and reasonable, also how much would it cost? Here it is;

Lian-Li PC-P50R (If not possible, I'm thinking of PC-P80R)
ASUS Crosshair V Formula 2133MHz O.C. Motherboard
AMD FX X8 8150 AM3+ 3.6GHz 16MB cache
HI-LEVEL or GSKILL (I dont think RAM really differs anything) 1600MHz or better, 8 GB or more RAM
Asus AMD Radeon HD6950 DirectCU II GDDR5 2 GB 256 Bit Graphics Card ( I will try to get this CF later on) (It's somewhat big, they said. It may not fit in every case, they said)
A 800-900W Power Supply
hard drives and other things dont really matter, do they?
And I've not yet selected any cooling systems for this rig yet, I'm waiting for your advices :)
Peace.

ddan49

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Try using pcpartpicker.com to check your stuff.

Why the Lian-Li case? I don't know what your motherboard is... it doesn't give me much info. I'd suggest going Intel... as in, strongly suggest. What's your budget? I can pick you a build based on your preferences.

ddan49

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Well... just keep in mind that with AMD, your gaming performance is going to be a lot lower. It's not a difference of just 5fps, either... it's pretty significant. But if you insist, I'll look over the other components (I don't know about AMD mobos).

CPU Cooler: If you want liquid cooling, do custom. Seriously... the Corsair "liquid cooling" doesn't even cool that much. In fact, believe it or not, usually air cooling actually keeps temperatures lower (than retail liquid cooling... I think that custom liquid cooling keeps temps lower than air). I'd suggest air, but if you want liquid... look up how to set up the system yourself. "Pre-built" liquid cooling is not very good.

RAM: Are you sure you need 12GB? I'd suggest 8GB running on dual-channel. 8GB is PLENTY for gaming, and 12 is just a strange number... usually, it would be either dual-channel or quad-channel (actually... I'm not sure quad-channel is the term).

HDD: I'd try to save some money elsewhere and try to get an SSD. A Crucial M4 should be fine... 64GB for OS and a few games, 128GB for OS, games, and apps, and 256GB for no worrying and pretty much anything you want to put on there. I'd suggest 128GB.

Oh, and the SSD is supposed to be supplemental to your 7200rpm HDD. Also, do you REALLY need 2TB? That's a massive amount of space. Do you use a lot of video editing?

Video: Meh... it's kind of old. If you want superior performance, try for these GPUs (sorted from best to worst):
1. GTX 680 - $500 (These are hard to get ahold of)
2. GTX 670 - $400 (Newly released, also hard to get ahold of)
3. 7870 - $350 (Moving into AMD/Radeon. NVidia is better 'cause of physX and CUDA cores, but if you're running a multi-monitor setup, you may want AMD)
4. 7850 - $250 (Basically, a good card that can still max out any game out there and also has a GREAT overclocking potential. So does the 7870, by the way)

I'd rank the manufacturers like this:
1. MSI Twin Frozr II OC (great cooling/OC/noise level)
2. ASUS
3. Sapphire
4. Gigabyte (really, this depends. Some cards (meaning actual chips as in 7850 vs 7870, not separate physical cards) have great cooling, others don't. Look at the reviews for more info)
5. EVGA
6. HIS

However, all six are good (with the occasional exception of a Gigabyte card here and there).

Case: Again, why Lian-Li? It's crazy expensive... I mean CRAZY expensive.

PSU: I'd suggest this one instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151102

GREAT PSU. Also, it's modular! And gold rated! And enough for SLI/Crossfire!

I know nothing about the monitors. Sorry :(

Anyway, overall, this should be fine. You'd be better off with an Intel build (look for some benchmarks. I can show you some if you want. AMD's CPUs are just terrible at the moment... they used to be competitive), but I'm sure you have your reasons. If you REALLY have the money, you could try to get a 690 GPU... but those are $1,000 here in the US, and probably aren't available in Turkey yet. I'd suggest a stronger GPU, though...at your budget, I think it would be beneficial. Overall, a pretty nice build!

ekremmert

Honorable
May 12, 2012
I really want to stick with the AMD but :( I will look for Intel again, thanks for your advice. OK I will look for custom liquid cooling, too. For RAM, I've already decreased it to 8 :) I will try to get an 64GB SSD but doesnt seem possible. Yes I need 2TB because I'm planning to take gaming videos with my friends. For video cards, I can try to get a 7850 but 7xxx series are extremely overpriced on Turkey, and yes I will have multiple monitors. Noise level is not very imortant and I was thinking about Asus DirectCU II and OK I will look for MSI Twin Frozr as well. Does PSU really matter? I dont know anything about monitors either, Ive just selected a HD monitor that has DIV input on it :D Overall, thanks for your advices.

ekremmert

Honorable
May 12, 2012
I've done some more builds and, I really need to decrease some parts, I'm planning to make stereoscopic 3D with 3 monitors and monitors are really expensive :) I'm going to stick with 6950 x2 CF (I will buy one of the cards and 2 monitors later, so I will buy 1 3D monitor and 1 graphics card for now) If you can make an equal/better system with Intel with lower prices or if you can advice which parts I can sacrifice to decrease total cost, I would be glad. I want case color to match/look good with motherboard color, I mean, white case would be good with a blue motherboard, and a black&red one would be good with red motherboard. And try to keep PC-P50R as the case as I'm in love with that case :D but if you cant, http://tinyurl.com/6zxru72 :(

ddan49

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Custom liquid cooling isn't bought... it's built. Go ahead and check out the liquid cooling subforum for some more info. It involves building.

There's nothing on your build that I haven't said before. If you were going Intel, I'd try for an i5-2500k and a Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 ASRock motherboard. Total, it would be the same price as your AMD components... actually, cheaper. May want an ASUS motherboard (it's blue) or an i7-2600k... you choice. An i7 has hyper-threading, which is unnecessary unless you do a lot of media editing (photoshop, video editing,etc.)

As for decreasing the price... you've got a lot of overpriced parts. I mean, the case is WAY overpriced, but it's your choice. The PSU is too strong (go for the PSU I suggested, anyway). I'd get an SSD. There is absolutely NOTHING changed (besides the monitors and the HDD) that I didn't go over before. I've already said my opinions, and it's up to you if you want to take them.

ekremmert

Honorable
May 12, 2012
I meant building :) I've already searched a lot on web about liquid cooling, I looked for some intel parts and i5 sounds not powerful enough for me :D yes I will edit videos as I said before, I will put up a youtube let's play channel together with my friends. that's one of the reasons I want to stick with 8-cores. Case is really overpriced, I've looked for an hour to find another case that looks as good as that one but, this one is really cool, bro :D (and it has AMD logos and so which adds +coolness points to my system :) ) for PSU, the one you suggested is 200 dude, and I dont get the difference. i7 costs much more. Also, you know, guiness world record was broken by FX 8150 (+ Crosshair V Formula I think ? ) which makes this rig extra cool :D For SSD, it is just to decrease time taken to start up with 3-4 seconds. does it really sound important for a gamer? I know you will say: gamer would go with intel but, despite i know intel is better for now, its the way I am, I just dont want a Intel build. If you can find a case as well as this one ( you must have got what I like and dont by now :D ) and not overpriced, I would go for it, but no need for now anyway since I havent exceeded budget limit even with this REALLY overpriced case. I will try to get a SSD later on anyway along with the monitors and 2nd graphics card.

ddan49

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Clock speeds and cores mean almost nothing. A 5GHz processor isn't always better than a 3GHz processor. Also, most games don't even utilize all FOUR cores. I'm going to leave it at this: Intel is better for gaming... even an i3 is better than the high-end AMD chips. The SSD can make games run faster (not fps, but some other stuff), and will speed up boot time by about 15-20 seconds... it's significant. I'm not going to force Intel on you :) Also, if you want that case, take that case. Just don't shave money off of other components to do it. The PSU is gold rated, but I don't know what price it is at in Turkey.

The difference will be unnoticeable ,or even nonexistent, at 1080p resolution and high detail settings .
Heres BF3
http://www.techspot.com/review/458-battlefield-3-performance/page7.html

Older games with less demanding graphics are all going to exceed 60FPS . Since monitors refresh at 60 Hz , WHICH IS THE EXACT SAME THING AS 60 FPS, the user experience will be identical even if the intel can make theoretical fps at lower resolutions because they will NEVER appear on the screen

But the OP should consider the Radeon 7950 even if it means dropping the processor to an FX 6200

ddan49

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Hmm... yeah... I guess the 7950 would be fine. It's just that the 78xx series is such a good overclocker, I kind of feel like I'm missing out on something if I would buy a 79xx. However, the OP should definitely consider the price, and as the 78xx series seems to be really expensive anywhere outside of the US (I think even UK and Australia has high prices on them), then the 79xx series may be right.

Also, I still think you'd be okay with AMD, it just wouldn't be my first choice. If it were up to me, I'd take off $80 from the case and get a higher GPU ;)

Also, about the case. You seem to really like it. But what specifically do you like about it... the aesthetics? The stickers? Keep in mind that AMD components come with AMD stickers... your CPU and GPU should have one each. You can also buy them (for less than the extra $80 ;) ). If you like the dragon... well... selection is limited on that front. However, with some basic modding (meaning literally just putting on a dragon sticker), you could turn a HAF case into that. However, the case you have is pretty sweet. Keep in mind it's huge--all full-tower cases are.

TRENDING THREADS