Sign in with
Your question

Best variant of radeon 7970

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 9, 2012 5:03:54 PM

Hello,
I will be purchasing a radeon 7970 very soon, although i dunno which one to buy.. i want a pre overclocked one with good cooling.. i was looking at the saphhire, gigabyte and xfx 7970 black edition DD.. can someone please tell me which is the best among them?

More about : variant radeon 7970

March 9, 2012 5:16:21 PM

All of those brands are good TBH,if budget isn't an issue,go with the black edition.It's a great card(another option would be ASUS DirectCU model)
Welcome to the forums BTW :) 
March 9, 2012 5:22:14 PM

Budget isn't an issue!! i was thinking about the black edition but then i saw some very positive reviews for the gigabyte version of the card! Haven't yet found a review for the directCU model.. very confused :( 
Related resources
March 9, 2012 5:34:09 PM

Well - overclocking seems to be determined more by your luck of the draw than by which model you buy, so my recommendation would be to buy whichever brand / cooler / aesthetic you like.

I also haven't seen many reviews of the Asus DCU model. I've really been happy with my XFX DD BE model... keeps my card below 70C (and often below 60C!) while gaming even with my overclock.

My card wasn't very responsive to voltage tweaking, but again I attribute that more to poor luck of the draw than any fault of the card itself.
March 9, 2012 6:44:50 PM

goonersrule said:
Budget isn't an issue!! i was thinking about the black edition but then i saw some very positive reviews for the gigabyte version of the card! Haven't yet found a review for the directCU model.. very confused :( 

I google'd for the 7970 DCU and didn't find anything(seems like a new card) but usually,ASUS DCU cards get high scores because of their design/cooling/OC'ng capabilities.
March 9, 2012 6:57:25 PM

Maziar said:
I google'd for the 7970 DCU and didn't find anything(seems like a new card) but usually,ASUS DCU cards get high scores because of their design/cooling/OC'ng capabilities.

Is the DCU II a non-reference PCB? I thought I read somewhere that it was just a reference PCB with a giant cooler on it.

The XFX and Gigabyte custom cards are reference PCBs with custom coolers (hence they don't necessarily overclock any better than a reference chip).

If the DCU II actually is a non-reference PCB, then that would definitely be worth looking into to see if it is a reliably better overclocker.

Also worth noting that the top-end versions like the MSI Lightning are perhaps just around the corner and will almost certainly be the best if you're wanting to OC.
March 10, 2012 5:33:45 AM

Quote:
the cheapest one.

As i said earlier, budget isn't a problem
March 10, 2012 7:02:37 AM

7970 with ek water blocks.
March 10, 2012 11:18:02 AM

BigMack70 said:
Is the DCU II a non-reference PCB? I thought I read somewhere that it was just a reference PCB with a giant cooler on it.

The XFX and Gigabyte custom cards are reference PCBs with custom coolers (hence they don't necessarily overclock any better than a reference chip).

If the DCU II actually is a non-reference PCB, then that would definitely be worth looking into to see if it is a reliably better overclocker.

Also worth noting that the top-end versions like the MSI Lightning are perhaps just around the corner and will almost certainly be the best if you're wanting to OC.

Not sure,but I think it's a reference PCB
March 10, 2012 1:06:02 PM

If I were buying right now as opposed to when I did at launch, I'd actually go for the Powercolor card with the custom cooler:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Just saw it released on newegg yesterday. $550 for a card with a nice cooler ain't a bad deal.

As long as you're not terrified of overclocking yourself, that's a great deal. If changing a clock slider in MSI Afterburner terrifies you (lol?), then maybe shell out for a factory overclocked version.
September 5, 2012 10:41:04 AM

goonersrule said:

I built out with the Asus DCUII (ROG V Gene & i7-3770) just two weeks back. Under furmark's 15m 1080p burn-in test, my temps flatline at 71 C (27 C ambient) with the fan duty @ 70%. That translates to roughly 50~55 decibels. The sounds lounder than it is though, there's no character to the fans, so it's more like having a room fan on & close by. Under normal gaming load it's rare for the card to push up to 60% and <50db, but I usually game at 900p. For my purposes, noise and heat in more important. And of course the longer Asus warranty.

If you go the same route as me though, be warned: the DCU is a massive triple slot beast. It looks awesome, but I've got bar stock & rubber pads on order to stretch off my HDD cage and take some of the card weight.
!