buk laou

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012
Hello all just wondering because something weird happened two days ago. As I was playing my computer turned off suddenly. No weird sounds or anything. As I attempted to turn it back on. The fans would spin for half a second then stop. If I was to turn my PSU off for a few seconds then back on. And started my computer it would do the same thing.
I have had this computer for 3 month's and it worked perfectly fine the whole time until then. CPU temps were fine. Same with GPU temps. I tested by taking each RAM out and trying individual ones and nothing same with GPU. My computer won't even boot. As I said the LED's of my fan will light up and spin for just a second. I checked my CPU to see if it looked odd. And it was fine. Re applied thermal paste And re-fastened my Cooler.
So I have brought everything down to my PSU and my MOBO. I also did the breadboard technique No shorts or anything. Same thing happened only started for a second. Then stopped. I took my PSU out to do the paperclip thing. And it would do exactly what it has been doing. The fan and PSU fan would spin for half a second then stop. Is my PSU dead? I only have the money to get a new PSU. I don't have the time to wait for an RMA. If I could get my money back then OK. Also everything is plugged in right. I checked multiple times. Please don't give me the guide.
Specs--
PSU-Corsair TX750 Watt
CPU-i5-2500k Not overclocked. With hyper 212 cooler.
RAM- Gskill Sniper 8GB
GPU-GTX 570
MOBO-Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3

Solution
Not that I couldn't be wrong but its simple, process of elimination the computer shut off and wouldn't turn back on first thing that comes to mind is a power issue. You breadboarded the computer eliminating any shorts that would cause it to act the way it did. You physically tested the power supply on its own by jumping the wires telling the power supply to energize turning on for a second then shutting off so in term it wasn't working properly if you followed all the steps for testing the way you did correctly and these are the results you get then everything points to the PSU.

Maybe someone else will chime in and give a second opinion.

Orlean

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
Sound like a bad power supply to me, if you jumped the green wire to any black wire to enable power on the PSU it should at least turn on. Now I don't know if that particular model doesn't turn on the fan unless its temperature reaches the threshold its set at or its always on but runs at a slow speed and varies RPM depending on temperature. Only way to make certain its dead is if you probe voltages with a Volt Meter on the connectors to see if when it turns on and off if its actually operating or not.

buk laou

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012

It should They have there guide to jump the PSU. Mine would only power it up for a second then stop. No full rotations.

Orlean

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
In that case with you breadboarding the motherboard, checking everything multiple times and specifically testing the PSU by jumping the wires with sign of it working properly I would have to say that its the power supply.

buk laou

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012

Hope you're right. Would not want it to be something like my MOBO or CPU. That would be terrible and cost me more.

Orlean

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
Not that I couldn't be wrong but its simple, process of elimination the computer shut off and wouldn't turn back on first thing that comes to mind is a power issue. You breadboarded the computer eliminating any shorts that would cause it to act the way it did. You physically tested the power supply on its own by jumping the wires telling the power supply to energize turning on for a second then shutting off so in term it wasn't working properly if you followed all the steps for testing the way you did correctly and these are the results you get then everything points to the PSU.

Maybe someone else will chime in and give a second opinion.

Solution

buk laou

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012

Well thank you. I'm at least a little more optimistic on this. I ordered a Corsair HX750 and will RMA my TX750. Thank you again.