Sign in with
Your question

A piece is burnt out, but which one? And what now?

Last response: in Systems
May 12, 2012 3:36:37 PM

This computer has been a mess for a while. I don't take it to school and my younger brother sure doesn't maintain it. Anyway, its latest problem was stuttering every 3 seconds in every game. I tried removed a piece of RAM, turned it back on, making a minor drone I hadn't heard before, but still worked. Turned off the computer, turned off the power supply, grounded, all of that. Tried to put the piece of RAM back in. Something apparently went wrong, because then the computer didn't POST, so I turned it off. And could tell that something was burned. So I took out the video card, doesn't seem to have been that. I took out the CPU and there are no signs of a problem. Aside from the usual thermal paste, pretty much looks pristine. That doesn't rule out that it might be dead, but it doesn't smell burnt, it wasn't even warm, it's not melted in any way. All that seems to leave is the power supply and the motherboard. I don't know if either one would be safe should one burn out. I don't know where to go from here. I needed a reason to build a new one, since this one is some sort of Frankenstein's monster, but I'd like to at least figure out what happened here.

Intel E8400 (3.0 ghz)
Asus P5G41T M LX
Corsair XMS 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 PC3 12800
EVGA Geforce GTX 560 Ti 1024mb
Corsair TX650W PSU
Windows XP Home 32-bit

More about : piece burnt

a b B Homebuilt system
May 12, 2012 3:53:44 PM

Under a good light see if there are any scorch marks or popped capacitors on the motherboard. if it happened when you inserted the ram check around the ram sockets closely. you can also smell the power supply to see if that is what burnt out. Most likely you will need to replace one item at a time to find the culprit if that is not the case.
m
l
May 12, 2012 5:54:03 PM

It was the power supply.
m
l
Related resources
!