Why do my Audio CD,s crackle ?

irish_rover

Distinguished
May 20, 2001
Why do my audio cd,s crackle like old vinyls when played on my cd-rom. They play fine on ordinary hi-fi.

Thanks in anticipation.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Are you playing them by analog or digital?

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

irish_rover

Distinguished
May 20, 2001
Yes I am because when I got the pc, just a few weeks ago I put a cd in and it would not play, so I changed it to digital and it played. Is this normal?

lamer_gamer

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
Oh, good! Someone else is having trouble too, so I'm intersted in replies to your question! Actually I don't get crackling but it does seem to skip and repeat stuff. I've tried using digital and analog settings, error correction on & off, and cleaning my CD's. Strangely though, I only see problems when playing back audio CD's and when my kid plays games (simple kindergarten age stuff). However, when she goes to bed and I play one of my games (like Undying), I don't run into any problems like that at all! Is there anything else I should be checking? I've had this problem before on an older system, but the Auto correction feature solved that problem before.

A7A266, 700mhz Duron, 320 Megs PC-133 RAM, 32X CDROM, 20Gig 7.2K RPM WD HDD, SB PCI128.

My brain has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down

lamer_gamer

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
Quick update:
I noticed a box called "Sync Data Transfer" was <i>not</i> checked, so I checked that box. Digital playback enable didn't produce any difference, so I disabled it and now it seems to play back audio CD's just fine. Now I'll have to make my kid play some of her games and see if they're also improved!

lamer_gamer

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
Still getting the weird echo like sound in my kid's games. Maybe I should just let her play my games! :wink: