Sign in with
Your question

Can my CPU handle the resolution of my monitor?

Last response: in CPUs
August 29, 2012 10:07:12 PM

First of all I want to mention that I have no idea what I'm talking about so this may be stupid. After having trouble connecting my PC with an I5 processor to my 24" monitor I asked a friend and he said that the monitor's resolution was too high for my CPU and I should buy a smaller monitor. Does that sound crazy or is it the truth?
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2012 10:39:31 PM

Makes no sense at all. A 24" inch monitor runs at 1900X1080 resolution, which just about any modern video card or even Integrated Graphics Processor should have no trouble outputting. The CPU doesn't come into play at all. Have you tried both the onboard graphics and a discrete video card?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b C Monitor
August 29, 2012 10:53:47 PM

Yeah, he's talking out a hole in his nether regions.

Even decade old rigs are more than capable of running a 24" screen.
m
l
Related resources
a c 283 à CPUs
a b C Monitor
August 29, 2012 10:58:54 PM

Yeah, even if you're running it off of the integrated graphics, it should work just fine. The CPU itself has absolutely nothing to do with it.
m
l
a c 332 à CPUs
a b C Monitor
August 30, 2012 1:01:48 AM

Your friend is lacking in knowlege. (There. How's that for being polite?) What kind of problems were you experiencing?
m
l
August 30, 2012 1:03:49 AM

abekl said:
Makes no sense at all. A 24" inch monitor runs at 1900X1080 resolution, which just about any modern video card or even Integrated Graphics Processor should have no trouble outputting. The CPU doesn't come into play at all. Have you tried both the onboard graphics and a discrete video card?

Okay I thought that might be BS. I tried all the ports.
m
l
August 30, 2012 1:05:51 AM

clutchc said:
Your friend is lacking in knowlege. (There. How's that for being polite?) What kind of problems were you experiencing?

When I turn on the machine and connect it to the monitor it gives me a message along the lines of 'could not connect.'
m
l
a c 473 à CPUs
a c 195 C Monitor
August 30, 2012 1:07:23 AM

Ignore your friend.

Performance is mainly determined how powerful the graphic card is if you are talking about playing games. The faster the graphics card, the better the performance, unless your CPU is so slow that it limits the graphics card. The i5 will not limit the graphics card.

If the problem is that nothing is being displayed on the 24" monitor, then it could be a faulty graphics card, monitor, the cable connecting the monitor to the PC, or one of the graphics port whether it is the PC or the monitor.
m
l
a c 473 à CPUs
a c 195 C Monitor
August 30, 2012 1:11:25 AM

Do you have an actual graphics card? Or are you relying on the Core i5's integrated graphic core?

It's best to list your PC's specs.
m
l
August 30, 2012 1:21:45 AM

jaguarskx said:
Do you have an actual graphics card? Or are you relying on the Core i5's integrated graphic core?

It's best to list your PC's specs.

PNY GTX 560

Corsair something PSU

ASUS Z77 Mobo

Corsair rip jaws 8gb

m
l
August 30, 2012 1:25:06 AM

jaguarskx said:
Ignore your friend.

Performance is mainly determined how powerful the graphic card is if you are talking about playing games. The faster the graphics card, the better the performance, unless your CPU is so slow that it limits the graphics card. The i5 will not limit the graphics card.

If the problem is that nothing is being displayed on the 24" monitor, then it could be a faulty graphics card, monitor, the cable connecting the monitor to the PC, or one of the graphics port whether it is the PC or the monitor.

I'm pretty sure its the cable or something. Both the monitor and the graphics have been tested and work
m
l
a c 332 à CPUs
a b C Monitor
August 30, 2012 1:33:09 AM

Doctor Funk said:
When I turn on the machine and connect it to the monitor it gives me a message along the lines of 'could not connect.'

Is this a new build? Pre-built? Discrete graphics card or integrated? How are you connecting... HDMI, DVI, VGA?
m
l
August 30, 2012 1:33:53 AM

clutchc said:
Is this a new build? Pre-built? Discrete graphics card or integrated? How are you connecting... HDMI, DVI, VGA?

New build with a graphics card. DVI.
m
l
a c 332 à CPUs
a b C Monitor
August 30, 2012 1:55:53 AM

Doctor Funk said:
New build with a graphics card. DVI.

I would breadboard the system with just CPU/HSF, graphics card, memory, PSU, monitor. Short the 2 pins the pwr sw plugs into to start. If you don't get an image with a known-good card, I would RMA the board.
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
August 30, 2012 2:02:02 AM

Just out of curiosity....

Are the PCIE connectors for the GTX 560 plugged in?
m
l
August 30, 2012 2:02:03 AM

clutchc said:
I would breadboard the system with just CPU/HSF, graphics card, memory, PSU, monitor. Short the 2 pins the pwr sw plugs into to start. If you don't get an image with a known-good card, I would RMA the board.

Okay I'll try that out, thanks.
m
l
August 30, 2012 2:10:57 AM

amuffin said:
Just out of curiosity....

Are the PCIE connectors for the GTX 560 plugged in?

Yes everything is plugged in.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b C Monitor
August 30, 2012 2:17:13 AM

Have you tried removing the graphics card and plugging into the on-board display ports?
m
l
August 30, 2012 2:49:50 AM

pauls3743 said:
Have you tried removing the graphics card and plugging into the on-board display ports?

I have but to no avail.
m
l
!