Can my CPU handle the resolution of my monitor?

Doctor Funk

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012
First of all I want to mention that I have no idea what I'm talking about so this may be stupid. After having trouble connecting my PC with an I5 processor to my 24" monitor I asked a friend and he said that the monitor's resolution was too high for my CPU and I should buy a smaller monitor. Does that sound crazy or is it the truth?

Makes no sense at all. A 24" inch monitor runs at 1900X1080 resolution, which just about any modern video card or even Integrated Graphics Processor should have no trouble outputting. The CPU doesn't come into play at all. Have you tried both the onboard graphics and a discrete video card?

Doctor Funk

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012

Okay I thought that might be BS. I tried all the ports.

Doctor Funk

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012

When I turn on the machine and connect it to the monitor it gives me a message along the lines of 'could not connect.'

Ignore your friend.

Performance is mainly determined how powerful the graphic card is if you are talking about playing games. The faster the graphics card, the better the performance, unless your CPU is so slow that it limits the graphics card. The i5 will not limit the graphics card.

If the problem is that nothing is being displayed on the 24" monitor, then it could be a faulty graphics card, monitor, the cable connecting the monitor to the PC, or one of the graphics port whether it is the PC or the monitor.

Doctor Funk

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012

PNY GTX 560

Corsair something PSU

ASUS Z77 Mobo

Corsair rip jaws 8gb

Doctor Funk

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012

I'm pretty sure its the cable or something. Both the monitor and the graphics have been tested and work

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Is this a new build? Pre-built? Discrete graphics card or integrated? How are you connecting... HDMI, DVI, VGA?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

I would breadboard the system with just CPU/HSF, graphics card, memory, PSU, monitor. Short the 2 pins the pwr sw plugs into to start. If you don't get an image with a known-good card, I would RMA the board.

Doctor Funk

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012

Okay I'll try that out, thanks.

TRENDING THREADS