Sign in with
Your question

$1.1k to 1.3k Gaming Computer

Last response: in Systems
May 12, 2012 5:23:02 PM

Hey guys!

I'm currently looking to build a new computer since my Dell Inspiron Laptop is rather outdated. I already have a CD/DVD drive along with any cables needed so I did not include those. I plan on maybe overclocking slightly (I'm not going to hardcore OC this system). I picked these parts to use some of the newer technology so hopefully I won't have to upgrade for awhile. Any suggestions/tips/constructive criticism would greatly be appreciated! I just want to get the best bang for my bucks :) 

Thanks
Dan S.

**I have edited this list to reflect the changes in my build**

COMBO DEAL ($415) - CPU and Motherboard
CPU (Alone $245) - Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz
Motherboard (Alone $190) - ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

Case ($100) - Antec Eleven Hundred Black Super Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU Cooler ($30) - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=35-103-...

Power Supply ($90) - SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC

RAM ($60) - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

SSD ($125) - Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Graphics Card ($250) - PowerColor AX7850 2GBD5-2DH Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP

**Before Misc parts below the computer cost $1,071 which includes shipping + promo codes**

Misc parts that I will buy later

Hard drive - I don't need much storage right now so the SSD will be sufficient until I buy a storage hard drive later. Probably $100-150

Mouse/Keyboard/Headset - Not really worried about these right now since I already have older ones. But I will likely buy them once I build the computer so still thinking about the cost of these in order to add into the total cost.

More about : gaming computer

May 12, 2012 5:44:56 PM

nice planning, good choice of parts.

but if you can, get a gtx 670, just in case if you can, it performs similarly to a 680. your gaming experience would be drastically enhanced.

but 7858 is also a good card.
May 12, 2012 5:56:27 PM

change ram speed to a 1600 speed
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB @ 1600
i usually don't recommend these kind of ram since it is a bit more pricey than others but it has a 15% discount coupon on it right now if the 15% expires than these ram look good and perform good with the mobo
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB @ 1600

change mobo to extreme 4 apparently extreme 6 has been having a few problems and extreme 4 has 2x 3.0 pci slots so u can have a 2 way sli/xfire
or
ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155 and Intel Core i5-3570K
does wonders and has fan xpert to make the case a bit more quiet if you really need to

not a fan of sandforce drivers as it is unstable if you want speed go with ocz vertex 4 but I like having a stable SSD
Crucial m4 128GB

PSU: a 700-800 watt will do for 2 way sli/Xfire so i think you are fine there
Related resources
May 12, 2012 5:57:19 PM

Thank you for the quick reply! The GTX 670 seems to be roughly around $400 so roughly $150 increase in the build. Honestly I don't know much about graphic cards anymore so I will need to do a little research to see if the graphic comparison is worth the difference in price.

Thanks again,
Dan
May 12, 2012 6:06:37 PM

750w is a bit over kill for one gpu. a 550-600w power supply is good enough but then the hx750 is a great power supply
May 12, 2012 6:09:01 PM

Thank you also boulbox for the suggestions! I think I'm going to switch over to the mobo/cpu combo you posted due to the issues of the mobo I previously selected. Also because I did not see that combo deal while browsing NewEgg! :) 

I'm still debating on what to do with the SSD. Crucial does seem like the safe bet to go with.

Dan
May 12, 2012 6:12:07 PM

TheBigTroll, what I was planning/thinking was once this computer can't run games on max settings I was going to put another graphic card in it which is why I went a little bigger on the PSU

Dan
May 12, 2012 6:24:05 PM

well telling you this now the 670 and the 7850 will run fine for the next few years to come

i had a 6950 still works on most games at a good 40-60 fps on high quality(not maxed all the way)

if set things up like this going with a 750 watt supply then when your fps start to drop in the next 2-3 years buy a second one as it will be cheaper

now here is why i don't recommend doing this
it is a good idea but technology will move on pretty fast and you might not even wanting to buy a second 7850 to buying another single GPU will work a lot better than just having 2 that will take up a lot more power

i rather go with a seasonic 620 watt supply and go buy a 670 when you need another GPU you can for sure sell your GPU for a good price to people that can't afford the more high end cards and use that money to help upgrade to maybe something far in the future such as a 870 or a 9850(these are just guesses of what the names will be)
May 12, 2012 6:32:32 PM

Yea I understand exactly what your saying. So I'm thinking about changing the build up slightly then to just run one good graphic card and a decent PSU. If I aim for the GTX 670 what would be a good PSU for this build? I do like modular PSUs (it drives me crazy seeing non used wires), but it doesn't have to be modular if the quality of the PSU is incomparable to other PSUs out there. Again, thank you for the help, I truly appreciate it!

-Dan
May 12, 2012 6:38:09 PM

i recommend this PSU it is cheap modular and will do the job for 1 GPU

SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W - $89.99

if you want one that i really like to use for my system(because it is gold which means it is more efficient and pulls in a more clean power which means less of a chance of a short fuse and is pretty quiet because of the 3 mode fan)

SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold

kind of pricey which is why i recommend the 620W
May 12, 2012 7:00:08 PM

Ok, so I made some more changes to the build above. I took your advice on the power supply which also helped get the cost of the computer to roughly $1,070! I'm still debating on the GTX 670, but I might just stay with the 7850 and get a nice gaming mouse/keyboard and possible headset instead of the ones I currently am using.

So the build above I believe is very close to what I want to get, so if you see anything else I could makes changes on please feel free to keep giving me advice!

Dan
May 12, 2012 7:14:08 PM

HDD:Samsung by Seagate Spinpoint F3 500GB

128GB will only put in the OS and a few games.I forgot to add an OS into the build and you will ned a DVD drive to go with that.(i don't like buying DVD burners because i just take my old computer's dvd burner and add it into the new one) for a burner just get one under $20 since i think you will not use it that much compared to usb

keyboard: i really like Razer keyboards such as blackwidow ultimate but it cost a bit.
another really good brand of gaming keyboards is logitech

Mouse: not really a fan of super high priced mouses choose what ever you think is right such as high DPI(meaning it will move your courser will less space, also if buying one with a high DPI i like going with razer control mouse pad to make it smoother) or one with a few buttons on the side for MMO.
May 12, 2012 7:36:34 PM

Yeah I suppose I should buy a hard drive also now just so I don't have to deal with it later on.

I was going to take out the DVD drive from my older computer also so I don't need that.

For the OS system I bought it for my older computer, so can i switch it over to my new computer? (2 computers with 1 cd key, is that possible?)

And with the keyboard/mouse - I was thinking the new razer mouse and still deciding which keyboard. I'm probably just going to buy these after since this isn't a huge concern for me.

May 12, 2012 7:46:22 PM

Dschwin said:
Yeah I suppose I should buy a hard drive also now just so I don't have to deal with it later on.

I was going to take out the DVD drive from my older computer also so I don't need that.

For the OS system I bought it for my older computer, so can i switch it over to my new computer? (2 computers with 1 cd key, is that possible?)

And with the keyboard/mouse - I was thinking the new razer mouse and still deciding which keyboard. I'm probably just going to buy these after since this isn't a huge concern for me.

you might run into some problems such as a pop up saying someone else is using your cd key but thats about it

i also think they try to make your background all black so you can have a nice picture

also it is said that Hard drives will be going down in price in the next few months if you think you can last that long with 128GB you can wait for the price drop
May 12, 2012 7:48:35 PM

That was the main reason I was going to delay buying a HD just because I knew the prices were going down
May 12, 2012 7:49:48 PM

Looks good I am doing a build similar but I am getting a gtx 670, if you want to game at maxiumum eye candy go for it because if you don't you will probably be wondering what if?
May 12, 2012 7:56:50 PM

Which GTX 670 are you looking at? I guess when I see like 5-10 different versions of a graphic card I get confused b/c I don't know which one is better out of all of them (if there is one that is better than the rest)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

Here is the list of them on NewEgg. I don't know where to really look up and see which one of these outperforms the rest. I guess if anyone could give me advice on which one of these is the best way to go that would be appreciated!

I can't stop thanking you guys for all the help so far today, really have made this build less stressful that I was expecting it to be :) 

Dan
May 12, 2012 8:29:27 PM

if you can wait for evga superclocked to come back out it can perform as well as a 680

you can never go wrong with a evga card
May 12, 2012 9:21:25 PM

Im waiting on the ASUS model to come out, it is the quietest one. Not sure when it will be released but probably within the next month. Besides that go for the gigabyte model, its in stock at tiger direct
May 12, 2012 9:39:15 PM

Noise: ASUS wins
Temp: Gigabyte Wins

Take your pick
!