Sign in with
Your question

Cpu fan vibrating and making alot of noise

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
August 29, 2012 11:56:32 PM

Ok, so about 1 year ago I bought a Zalman CNPS9700 LED and its been working perfectly.. until a few days ago, the fan has started making this weird noise like its scraping against something.

At first i thought it was because of dust so I cleaned it but no change, its kinda hard to see whats happening in there but none of the fins are moving so I guess they arent the problem. Is it possible to maybe tighten the fan or something or should I ready my wallet? :( 
a c 307 à CPUs
August 30, 2012 12:44:52 AM

The fan stator could be loosing its magnetic center, or it could be bearing fatigue. The latter could cause it to scrape when spinning at high RPM, even though you wouldn't notice it just hand spinning the blades. If possible, turn the system 90 degrees so the fan is laying horz and see if the sound changes or goes away. If it does, that's likely the problem. Coincidently, the only cooler fan I ever had fail was also on a Zalman. Same symptom as yours.
a c 141 à CPUs
August 30, 2012 12:45:45 AM

It sounds like the bearings are shot - contact zalman for a replacement fan. Installation is pretty straigh forward, two screws at the base of the fan mount and the once the fan is out of the case theres 2 screws on the back of the fan securing it to the mount.
!