Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Display Driver Crashing

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 9, 2012 8:59:47 PM

Hi,

I have a 2 Radeon 6870's running 6 monitors. However since day 1 i've suffered from what appear to be driver issues; the monitor crashes and recovers then says "The display driver has crashed and recovered"

Now its doing this very frequently like every 30min. The temps are normal and so is everything else. I've upgraded and downgraded drivers but nothing.

I'm using 6 active mini display port to dvi port adapters. I was wondering, could these adapters be the problem? would a faulty active adapter cause a issue like this?

specs:
intel i7-2600k
16gb ram
850watt psu
6 monitors @ 1920x1080
windows 7 64bit

I really am at a loss now. Im thinking either faulty adapters or faulty cards...

thanks

Best solution

March 9, 2012 9:17:20 PM

clydefrog said:
Hi,

I have a 2 Radeon 6870's running 6 monitors. However since day 1 i've suffered from what appear to be driver issues; the monitor crashes and recovers then says "The display driver has crashed and recovered"

Now its doing this very frequently like every 30min. The temps are normal and so is everything else. I've upgraded and downgraded drivers but nothing.

I'm using 6 active mini display port to dvi port adapters. I was wondering, could these adapters be the problem? would a faulty active adapter cause a issue like this?

specs:
intel i7-2600k
16gb ram
850watt psu
6 monitors @ 1920x1080
windows 7 64bit

I really am at a loss now. Im thinking either faulty adapters or faulty cards...

thanks

I had a problem similar to yours. I was only running three monitors off one card, but the adapter was the cheaper $25 active adapter that was supposed to be compatible with eyefinity, however at what seems like the same interval you are seeing the monitor on that adapter would go black, stutter for a second, then return. I didn't get the warning message, but the same effects. 6-8 months of that and the adapter failed completely. I decided to get a better adapter to replace it. The $100 dollar variety that draws it's active power from a USB port, and I haven't had any issues since.

That being said, I would feel pretty confident saying the problem is most likely an issue with the adapter and not the board, but can't say it completely sure.
!