Xbox 360 delayed until 2006

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,japan.videogames.finalfantasy (More info?)

in Japan at least...

http://www.gameinformer.com/NR/exeres/C6F3657C-F72C-4842-BA11-1DCEDC9140BB.htm

Microsoft To Announce Xbox 360 Delay In Japan?

On July 25th, Microsoft will be hosting an event in Japan to
officially unveil the console in the land of the rising sun titled
"Xbox Japan Summit 2005". Microsoft is reportedly going to have an
unveiling on an "E3 scale" according to sources, and we've been told
that we'll be seeing more from Japanese Xbox 360 developers such as
Mistwalker, Q Entertainment, Square Enix, Tecmo, as well as a few
surprises. There will be a number of new titles shown, and playable
software.

Unfortunately, we have just learned rather rumor-worthy from an inside
source that Microsoft will be dropping one bomb that no one would
expect -- the Xbox 360 will not launch in Japan this year. At E3
Microsoft initially touted that they would have a worldwide launch by
the end of 2005, but our sources have informed us that Japan's Xbox
360 release date could slip until Q1 2006, and most likely the system
won't launch in Japan until March.

The Xbox has been a complete failure in Japan, and last year the
original PlayStation outsold it. With the exclusives secured from
Japanese developers for the Xbox 360, down to the design of the
system, Microsoft has been doing everything in its power to change the
mindset of the Japanese gamer. But if the Xbox 360 is delayed until Q1
2006, Microsoft will be releasing the system the same time rival Sony
will be launching the PlayStation 3.

While we've not recieved any official confirmation from Microsoft on
this news (Microsoft doesn't comment on rumors or speculation, etc.),
we're betting that if this information is true, it's because either
Microsoft can't produce enough consoles for a worldwide launch, or the
Japanese software launch won't be strong enough for launch, or both.

Game Informer Online will be in Japan next Monday to give you the full
low-down on Microsoft's Xbox Japan Summit 2005, and whether or not
this news is true. Stay tuned...

If Xbox 360 is delayed in Japan, I expect a delay for UK & europe
also. It seems likely that only the USA will see a 2005 release.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

Jordan wrote:

> Didn't they do the same thing with the original? 2001 for U.S. and
> 2002 for everyone else? Same thing with Live wasn't it?

Yeah, but MS boasted they'd launch in all three territories simultaneously.
If this turns out to be true, it'll be a bit embarrassing for them. But
better to launch in Japan late than anywhere else.

-Z-

Zackman wrote:
> Jordan wrote:
>

>>Didn't they do the same thing with the original? 2001 for U.S. and
>>2002 for everyone else? Same thing with Live wasn't it?
>

> Yeah, but MS boasted they'd launch in all three territories simultaneously.
> If this turns out to be true, it'll be a bit embarrassing for them. But
> better to launch in Japan late than anywhere else.
>
> -Z-

At a guess you'll find it launching everywhere other than the US late
from what I've been hearing.

--
Byron Hinson
My Photography

Byron Hinson wrote:

> At a guess you'll find it launching everywhere other than the US late
> from what I've been hearing.

Silly Microsoft to boast about something they can't follow through on. It
would be like a console maker showing prerendered CGI and trying to pass it
off as actual gameplay. Well, maybe not quite as outright fraudulent as
that, but still embarrassing.

-Z-

Byron Hinson wrote:

> At a guess you'll find it launching everywhere other than the US late
> from what I've been hearing.

I would assume it has to be one, or more, of:

1) They won't be able to make enough hardware for all the regions
2) They've looked at their launch titles and they aren't happy with them
- developers need more time
3) The games are good, but they need more games that the Japanese market
wants and those aren't ready yet

Whatever the problem is, it has to be very bad if they are going to be
risking going up against the PS3 launch a couple months away in Japan.

"Kent Rastin" <krastin@renolds.com> wrote in message
> Whatever the problem is, it has to be very bad if they are going to be
> risking going up against the PS3 launch a couple months away in Japan.

Excellent point!
MS is "really" hurting their chances of trying to build any kind of user
base launching up the same time as Sony.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

>> Whatever the problem is, it has to be very bad if they are going to be
>> risking going up against the PS3 launch a couple months away in Japan.
>
> Excellent point!
> MS is "really" hurting their chances of trying to build any kind of user
> base launching up the same time as Sony.

The majority of Japanese wouldn't buy an Xbox/Xbox360 even if was the only
console available.

--
terry v
GT: terryfied

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,japan.videogames.finalfantasy (More info?)

Hell Yeah!!!

1 Billion Users by 2006

Radeon350 wrote:
> in Japan at least...
>

> http://www.gameinformer.com/NR/exeres/C6F3657C-F72C-4842-BA11-1DCEDC9140BB.htm

> Microsoft To Announce Xbox 360 Delay In Japan?
>
> On July 25th, Microsoft will be hosting an event in Japan to
> officially unveil the console in the land of the rising sun titled
> "Xbox Japan Summit 2005". Microsoft is reportedly going to have an
> unveiling on an "E3 scale" according to sources, and we've been told
> that we'll be seeing more from Japanese Xbox 360 developers such as
> Mistwalker, Q Entertainment, Square Enix, Tecmo, as well as a few
> surprises. There will be a number of new titles shown, and playable
> software.
>
> Unfortunately, we have just learned rather rumor-worthy from an inside
> source that Microsoft will be dropping one bomb that no one would
> expect -- the Xbox 360 will not launch in Japan this year. At E3
> Microsoft initially touted that they would have a worldwide launch by
> the end of 2005, but our sources have informed us that Japan's Xbox
> 360 release date could slip until Q1 2006, and most likely the system
> won't launch in Japan until March.
>
> The Xbox has been a complete failure in Japan, and last year the
> original PlayStation outsold it. With the exclusives secured from
> Japanese developers for the Xbox 360, down to the design of the
> system, Microsoft has been doing everything in its power to change the
> mindset of the Japanese gamer. But if the Xbox 360 is delayed until Q1
> 2006, Microsoft will be releasing the system the same time rival Sony
> will be launching the PlayStation 3.
>
> While we've not recieved any official confirmation from Microsoft on
> this news (Microsoft doesn't comment on rumors or speculation, etc.),
> we're betting that if this information is true, it's because either
> Microsoft can't produce enough consoles for a worldwide launch, or the
> Japanese software launch won't be strong enough for launch, or both.
>
> Game Informer Online will be in Japan next Monday to give you the full
> low-down on Microsoft's Xbox Japan Summit 2005, and whether or not
> this news is true. Stay tuned...
>

> If Xbox 360 is delayed in Japan, I expect a delay for UK & europe
> also. It seems likely that only the USA will see a 2005 release.

Hell Yeah!!!

1 Billion Users by 2006

Adam

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,japan.videogames.finalfantasy (More info?)

yeah, Australia should have it just before xbox3! is released in the US,
fingers crossed that is.

"terry vickers" <terry@REMOVEterryv.co.uk> wrote in message
> >> Whatever the problem is, it has to be very bad if they are going to be
> >> risking going up against the PS3 launch a couple months away in Japan.
> >
> > Excellent point!
> > MS is "really" hurting their chances of trying to build any kind of user
> > base launching up the same time as Sony.
>
> The majority of Japanese wouldn't buy an Xbox/Xbox360 even if was the only
> console available.

All the more reason the delay will hurt them

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,japan.videogames.finalfantasy (More info?)

It wont be released this year at all,just wait and see.

Reckless wrote:

> It wont be released this year at all,just wait and see.

But if it is released this year, you owe everyone on the Internet a dollar.

-Z-

"Zackman" <zackman@SPAMISEVILearthling.net> wrote in message
> Reckless wrote:
>
>> It wont be released this year at all,just wait and see.
>
> But if it is released this year, you owe everyone on the Internet a
> dollar.
>
> -Z-

Or even better in a show of public humiliation cut you own worthless head
off via a live feed so we can all be sure that you have gone for good .....
and rejoice...

Boody Bandit wrote:
> "terry vickers" <terry@REMOVEterryv.co.uk> wrote in message

>>>Excellent point!
>>>MS is "really" hurting their chances of trying to build any kind of user
>>>base launching up the same time as Sony.
>>
>>The majority of Japanese wouldn't buy an Xbox/Xbox360 even if was the only
>>console available.
>

> All the more reason the delay will hurt them

Probably shouldn't waste their time releasing at all in Japan.IMO,
they'll never penetrate the Japanese market. It's ironic. Japanese kids
are always trying to ways to be more American-like, but their gamers
have avoided the xbox like the plague.

In microsoft.public.xbox babanoosh <snoop@dodgeit.com> wrote:

> Probably shouldn't waste their time releasing at all in Japan.IMO,
> they'll never penetrate the Japanese market. It's ironic. Japanese kids
> are always trying to ways to be more American-like, but their gamers
> have avoided the xbox like the plague.

Most of the Japanese gamers who like American style games, already play on
the PC, and aren't interested in consoles at all.

Furthermore, it was my understanding that Microsoft released several Xbox
games untranslated. That's a really good way to lose your market right
there. Odd, too, since Microsoft's attention to localization and
internationalization is consdered among the best in the computer
industry...

Doug Jacobs wrote:
> In microsoft.public.xbox babanoosh <snoop@dodgeit.com> wrote:
>

>>Probably shouldn't waste their time releasing at all in Japan.IMO,
>>they'll never penetrate the Japanese market. It's ironic. Japanese kids
>>are always trying to ways to be more American-like, but their gamers
>>have avoided the xbox like the plague.
>

> Most of the Japanese gamers who like American style games, already play on
> the PC, and aren't interested in consoles at all.
>
> Furthermore, it was my understanding that Microsoft released several Xbox
> games untranslated. That's a really good way to lose your market right
> there. Odd, too, since Microsoft's attention to localization and
> internationalization is consdered among the best in the computer
> industry...

Indeed, that is hard to fathom. Especially when MS throws in all types
of Japanese quirks into many of their game, seemingly to appease that
market even in U.S. titles. Well, I don't know how much any of our stuff
would appeal anyway. Have you tried any Japanese games; mostly all
bizarre to me, except for Puyo Pop Fever.