Status
Not open for further replies.

sirthinh

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
Hello,
I've just bought some new PC components and trying to breadboard it, but something's not working right!

I have a:
i5-3570k processor
ASUS P8Z77-V LX mobo
Corsair CX600 power supply

I plug everything in, but it doesn't power on. The power supply's fan twitches but that's about it.

Power supply's fan spins during paper clip test.
Mobo's standby light is on.
Using a xigmatek aftermarket cooler on CPU, fan is plugged in.

Was something dead on arrival or am I stupid and missing something?

Solution
Most likely it's the motherboard since it won't even power on , if it was the cpu the board would power on and you would get a beep code signaling something wrong with the cpu.
In going through the steps that you have done , is the 24 pin main connector pluged in , is the 4 or 8 pin cpu connector pluged in ?
In trying to start the breadboard setup are you shorting the power on pins with a screw driver by just momentary touching of the pins ?
It sort of sounds like a power problem because it doesn't power on at all and if the cpu was defective the power on would still be turning on and the power supply fan spining so it sounds like a power connection with the motherboard.

The issue is that it's not even turning on and yes you need ram to get a post but not for it to just turm on. Once it turns on the lack of ram would cause a beep code.

sirthinh

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
I've tried with and without ram. 24-pin and 8-pin are both plugged in.

If I do end up having to buy a new power supply, what would be a good one for this system

i5-3570k processor
ASUS P8Z77-V LX mobo
GeForce GTX 660 ti
Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb ram
Samsung 830 SSD
WD Cavier Blue HDD
Asus 24x DVD-RW
Asus Xonar DG

Looking at possibly modular ones ~$100
Corsair TX650M, or should I be steering away from Corsair due to experience for
SeaSonic M12II 620M?

Or if you have any other recommendations, modular or not; could cost more if need be.

sirthinh

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
Yea, only difference is it's blue.

I tried swtching out to a different PSU and it still doesn't seem to work. How do I know if it is the CPU or the mobo now?

Status
Not open for further replies.