Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Gaming
  • Computers
  • Games
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
August 30, 2012 4:40:21 AM

At the moment I have an incredibly mediocre gaming rig, a i3-2100 and a 550Ti.
I find with almost any of the new games that I have issues with shadows on even the lowest settings. I always have to turn them off.

And certain games like Blackops are pretty much unplayable since I get such horrible FPS.

So what do I buy? I'm getting about 300 dollars soon, so I'm wondering what CPU I should get, or if I even should get a new CPU and just get a new video card instead. I use my PC for mostly gaming, and I want to play games with higher graphic settings.

More about : gaming computer 2500k 2700k gpu

a c 186 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
August 30, 2012 4:44:31 AM

Get a new GPU.

Weird though, Black ops should run easily. I can max it out @1080P with my 550ti....same as MW3!
m
l
August 30, 2012 5:03:41 AM

amuffin said:
Get a new GPU.

Weird though, Black ops should run easily. I can max it out @1080P with my 550ti....same as MW3!

I have a friend who's telling me its my CPU not being able to hyperthread properly and instead my GPU is taking more stress then it needs to for background programs. Also, I run everything on max, and I get 25-40 fps. Sometimes it dips down to 22 or 23 FPS. I mean, for a game like COD, and the level of graphics it has, this is just terrible. I feel like it's my CPU or something, because my video card SHOULD be able to handle this game.

Do you have any comments on the performance gains I can expect to see for a 2700k vs the 2500k?
m
l
Related resources
a c 186 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
August 30, 2012 5:05:33 AM

You won't get any gains. None of these games can even take advantage of hyperthreading!

All cod games I believe are only single core optimized games.

Have you updated your drivers for your card????

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/47859

It's not a problem with your CPU, you won't see any difference between an i3, i5, or i7 in COD.
m
l
August 30, 2012 5:13:50 AM

I don't even care about blackops it was just an extreme example of an older game that my computer struggles to run.

So what you're telling me is to not get a new CPU because my games 'wont take advantage of hyperthreading'?
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
August 30, 2012 5:19:07 AM

No games take advantage of hyperthreading.
Period.

This really depends on which games you are going to play.
m
l
August 30, 2012 5:22:52 AM

Dude!
Dont listen to your friend, your cpu is ok its your graphics card that needs an upgrade.

I assume u are lagging in black ops while trying to play with max settings?

On another note u should post ur rig's specs in case there s some awkward compatibility stuff that are causing errors.
m
l
August 30, 2012 5:24:22 AM

I feel like you guys are trolling me or something. My friend isn't stupid he knows what he's talking about.
m
l
a c 291 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
August 30, 2012 5:32:31 AM

OK, I'll add to it then. Get a better GPU.

The 2100 is just fine. It's the 550 Ti that's struggling.
m
l
August 30, 2012 5:34:59 AM

A i3-2100 is much higher on the cpu foodchain than a 550 ti is on the gpu foodchain, if that clears up things.

My recommendation is that u get a HD 7850 for the same amount of money that u would spend for a i5-2500K. Much much better performance gains.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
This one is a great deal if u can use newegg.

I insist that u post your specs, my brother is using a i3-540 with a GTS450 and can run MW3. Not high graphics setting but its playable for sure.
His cpu and gpu is worse than yours.
m
l
August 30, 2012 5:35:33 AM

Could you run Metro 2033 on max or Crysis? I don't think so.
m
l
a c 291 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
August 30, 2012 5:35:47 AM

d2girls said:
Could you run Metro 2033 on max or Crysis? I don't think so.

With a 2100? Sure. A powerful GPU trumps a super powerful CPU for gaming (ask any gamers that game on older CPU's).

Edit: That's also why it doesn't make much sense for a gamer to get an i7 (or god forbid LGA 2011).
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
August 30, 2012 5:38:19 AM

Those games are very GPU dependent ;) 
m
l
August 30, 2012 5:46:04 AM

Simple fact, most games need more GPU grunt than CPU. Your standard shooter and RPG needs more GPU power @ 1080p and any half decent CPU will be enough. The exception is multiplayer, RTS's, and MMORPG's. You could also add some half assed console ports (*cough* Skyrim *cough*) Those need some more CPU grunt generally. Your 550 is old and creaky, yes even for CoD. You want more performance, upgrade the GPU.
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
August 30, 2012 5:47:00 AM

Not for COD, that's an exception.....
m
l
August 30, 2012 5:52:20 AM

You can run BF3 on ultra with a i3-2100 for your cpu with a nice graphics card. Thats impossible with a 550 ti even if u have a 1000$ cpu (i7-3960X anyone?).
m
l
a c 291 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
August 30, 2012 5:55:12 AM

amuffin said:
Not for COD, that's an exception.....

The thing is, that kind of destroys our (my, lol) argument. If you can max out CoD with decent FPS, but the OP can't, that does kind of point to your i7 helping a bit...
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
August 30, 2012 6:09:16 AM

No, but Cod isn't multithreaded.....
m
l
a c 291 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
August 30, 2012 6:15:05 AM

amuffin said:
No, but Cod isn't multithreaded.....

Yeah, I know, but based on the performance you have, the OP shouldn't really be far behind in that case.

I'm thinking there may be something more going on here...
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
August 30, 2012 6:23:23 AM

Weird cause I've ran it as a dual core before and I still got the same performance........same on the i5-2500K rig.
m
l
a c 291 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
August 30, 2012 6:29:05 AM

Well, he never did answer the question about the drivers, so that's the first thing I would go to, at this point.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 30, 2012 6:55:23 AM

I would get rid of that aweful GTX 550ti, put in something a little more beautiful like a HD 7950
m
l
August 30, 2012 7:11:02 AM

sarinaide said:
I would get rid of that aweful GTX 550ti, put in something a little more beautiful like a HD 7950

I have a feeling that would bottleneck.
m
l
August 30, 2012 9:09:10 AM

Tmant123 said:
I have a feeling that would bottleneck.

Indeed but a 7850 would be a fine fit.
m
l
August 30, 2012 10:14:04 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Well, he never did answer the question about the drivers, so that's the first thing I would go to, at this point.

i have the beta 204 nvidia drivers
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
August 30, 2012 10:39:15 AM

there is something wrong on your system if your only getting 50 fps on cod games.
go into bios and load optomized defaults, make sure hpet(high precision event timer,event timer,precision events is enabled (its called 1 of these depending on bios) and if needs be set it to 30 to 64 depending on your o.s bit rate) set peg mode to 1 (set the first pci-e slot t to primary) save and restart

the 550ti is plenty enough to max out black ops @1080p and give 60 fps.
as is your cpu... but depending on what backround processes your running the 2100 can run into difficulties...

these guys often forget that a lot of people just install stuff without regard to the impact it has on the pc.
now get a copy of ccleaner its free (dont bother with the pro version it has nothing your gonna need.
run ccleaner and use it to uninstall things like quick time/ real player itunes and nokia suite if you have em. if you want to play any of there video formats get vlc player as a replament.
keep going with the uninstall until you feel you have freed up enough resorces...

install the nvidia 301 drivers i have linked them below as with everything else i mentioned. they are for windows 7 64 bit (use the win 7 32bit 1s if you have win 7 32bit)

you will know as your pc will suddenly start responding quicker in general as unneeded services and resorces are freed up.
1s done run ccleaners reg cleaner. run it again and again untill you get 0 errors.

1s done reboot your machine...

you may want to defrag your hdd as it will help speed things like games up... use defraggler for this...
lastly install and run windows 7 manager and use its optomization wizard andf go through everything it asks. 1s done reboot...

now try your game...

http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER
http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/win7-winvista-64bit-301....
http://www.piriform.com/defraggler/download
http://www.yamicsoft.com/windows7manager/index.html
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

m
l
a b à CPUs
August 30, 2012 11:12:35 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
The thing is, that kind of destroys our (my, lol) argument. If you can max out CoD with decent FPS, but the OP can't, that does kind of point to your i7 helping a bit...

Or OP's PC is full of: "15 toolbar, 34 antivirus, 3 cleaners", all running at once.
m
l
a c 168 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
August 30, 2012 11:23:04 AM

amuffin said:
Get a new GPU.

amuffin said:
You won't get any gains. None of these games can even take advantage of hyperthreading!

All cod games I believe are only single core optimized games.

Have you updated your drivers for your card????

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/47859

It's not a problem with your CPU, you won't see any difference between an i3, i5, or i7 in COD.

amuffin said:
No games take advantage of hyperthreading.
Period.

This really depends on which games you are going to play.

Have you taken into consideration your CPU is overclocked, aren't you running your 2600K at 4500mhz, compared to the OPs, and that even though Hyper Threading makes no difference it's a dual core vs a quad core, your higher clocks could very well be the reason you can run the same GPU smoother.

Not to mention the fact you have 2 extra cores handling background issues, if he had what you have clocked the same as you, he would get the same performance from his 550ti that you do, can you actually argue that he wouldn't?

m
l
a c 168 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
August 30, 2012 12:00:48 PM

d2girls said:
At the moment I have an incredibly mediocre gaming rig, a i3-2100 and a 550Ti.
I find with almost any of the new games that I have issues with shadows on even the lowest settings. I always have to turn them off.

And certain games like Blackops are pretty much unplayable since I get such horrible FPS.

So what do I buy? I'm getting about 300 dollars soon, so I'm wondering what CPU I should get, or if I even should get a new CPU and just get a new video card instead. I use my PC for mostly gaming, and I want to play games with higher graphic settings.

d2girls said:
I have a friend who's telling me its my CPU not being able to hyperthread properly and instead my GPU is taking more stress then it needs to for background programs. Also, I run everything on max, and I get 25-40 fps. Sometimes it dips down to 22 or 23 FPS. I mean, for a game like COD, and the level of graphics it has, this is just terrible. I feel like it's my CPU or something, because my video card SHOULD be able to handle this game.

Do you have any comments on the performance gains I can expect to see for a 2700k vs the 2500k?

Most everyone responding is running overclocked CPUs and not taking into consideration what extra power that gives them, that they are even past standard chart specs because those tested CPUs were not overclocked.

Regarding your situation before you considered anything a CPU or GPU, the other relating factors are the motherboard, power supply, and amount of system memory, if you're already running a 550ti of course you can upgrade that, but, are you running a motherboard that will allow what you can get from a 2500K or 2700K.

Meaning there's no sense buying a K (Unlocked multiplier CPU), if you don't have intentions of overclocking it for a higher performance level, it's a waste of money, but it's your money!

Regarding Hyper Threading the game may not be able to take advantage of it, but it's not going to hurt either!

There's only so much you can do with $300.00, when you compare that monetary amount to the upgrading options you actually have available to you, meaning if you changed the CPU would you have to change the motherboard too, and I don't see any mention of your specific motherboard, so that's an unknown.

Quote:

I can share actual overclock gains, the 2700K overclocked to 4500mhz with Hyper Threading enabled, is knocking on the performance door of the 2500K (Which does not have hyper Threading capability), overclocked to 5000mhz.

A good performing air cooling solution will allow the 4500mhz 2700K overclock with 24/7 stability, but will not allow the 2500K to be overclocked to 5000mhz 24/7 stable, because it would not be able to handle the heat.

So from what you've learned so far, how would you like to proceed?
m
l
August 30, 2012 12:06:19 PM

d2girls said:
I don't even care about blackops it was just an extreme example of an older game that my computer struggles to run.

So what you're telling me is to not get a new CPU because my games 'wont take advantage of hyperthreading'?

I'd like to clarify this a bit. You definitely don't need an i7. An i7's only perk over an i5 is hyperthreading, which allows a single core to service 2 'threads' at once, allowing one core to divide it's resources to act like a dual core. An overwhelming majority of games will fully utilize a single core, and partially utilize one or two additional cores; so there is no good reason for a gamer to put down the extra money to get an i7 (even though it happens all the time). It is however possible that games are running a little slower due to your i3 having 'issues' with it's hyperthreading. A dual core, servicing a game fully in Core1, and partially in Core2, may see some benefit from hyperthreading the partial load on core2 along with windows background tasks (this is a big maybe, it's just theory).

However, most games (Skyrim is an exception here) render shadows almost entirely on the GPU, typically the CPU only makes a set of function calls to configure how shadows should be drawn each scene, and the GPU will do all the heavy lifting when it composes the scene to actually draw them. If turning off shadows removes your framerate problem, I would call that an indication that your GPU (or just the drivers) is the issue as others have said. A good test would be to leave shadows enabled and turn off anti-aliasing, if you still get good framerates, you can know that it's the GPU (while shadows do have some overhead to worry about each frame, AA is literally just a setting the game sets in the GPU).

I would definitely look at a new GPU before a new CPU. Even though an i3 is kinda the bottom rung of Intels offerings, it's still a strong contender against higher end AMD processors. That said, I think HeXiT had some good suggestions, it could very easily be drivers or background tasks causing your problems; I would go as far as suggesting you try a format and reinstall of Windows before you spend any hard earned money on the issue (but try getting updated drivers first), since as people have stated, you really shouldn't be having that much trouble with the games you listed.

edit: You still haven't listed your system specs. What OS are you running? how much RAM? Do you have a power supply that can even handle a more powerful video card?
m
l
a c 291 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
August 30, 2012 2:42:22 PM

4Ryan6 said:
Have you taken into consideration your CPU is overclocked, aren't you running your 2600K at 4500mhz, compared to the OPs, and that even though Hyper Threading makes no difference it's a dual core vs a quad core, your higher clocks could very well be the reason you can run the same GPU smoother.

Not to mention the fact you have 2 extra cores handling background issues, if he had what you have clocked the same as you, he would get the same performance from his 550ti that you do, can you actually argue that he wouldn't?

Honestly, I did think about that myself, but since he said he tried it as a dual core with both the 2600K and 2500K, I just gave him the benefit of the doubt that that was at stock speeds too.

If it was OC'd, then of course the better performance makes a lot more sense. I'm still not sure that there should be such a huge disparity between them, though. That's why I think at least a bit of the OP's issues are driver and/or software related.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 30, 2012 3:04:48 PM

d2girls said:
i have the beta 204 nvidia drivers

There are quiet a few different things that can factor into your computer running poorly. What are the other components in your system? The GPU does seem that it could be a bottleneck. The CPU is not the best CPU on the market today but it does beat any AMD CPU and AMD CPU with similar better graphic cards can play that game just fine. I would look into getting one of the new AMD 7-series graphic cards as the price just dropped significantly. Here are a few links to Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (This will be an overkill but an awesome future proof graphics card!)
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
August 30, 2012 3:16:02 PM

They were ran at stock, I lost the gaming benchies but I do have cinebench scores with ht on and ht off if anyone was interested....
m
l
August 30, 2012 3:28:11 PM

jee pee yoo
m
l