Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Upgraded rig. 6950 problems. Shocking ha?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 10, 2012 12:16:29 AM

Well, Heres the skinny.

I upgraded my PC over the winter from an AMD rig, to an Intel rig, and have had nothing but problems since.

Specs:

ASUS P8Z68-V LX MoBo updated to 0703.
Corsair Vengeance Series 8-gb OC'd to 1600
Intel Core-I7 2600k @ stock clocks 3.4ghz
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ w/ Arctic Silver 5 TIM
Sapphire Radeon HD6950 2gb 100312-3L @ stock clocks (horrible overclocker, found that out the hard way)
Raidmax RX630-SS 630 Watt PSU
Western Digital 320gb 3gb/s 7200rpm HD
Seasonic 500gb 3gb/s 7200RPM logical drive
NZXT Crafted Series Case w/6 fans running off 12-volt

Monitor:
Samsung BX2250 2ms LED Monitor Hz (50, 60 ,and 67)

Now I know the PSU is a *** brand, but after having it in my pc for well over a year in the AMD setup, and not having any problems with the pc powering up, if you seriously don't think the PSU is the problem, then spare me.

The reason I upgraded was I got a killer deal on most new parts (the core i7 for 100 bucks) and jumped on the opportunity. Now, I almost regret it.

Recently, my gpu has been stuttering like crazy when playing BF3 or any other game for that matter that is worse if the frame rate lowers to say 45. But, I know for a fact that a 45 Frame rate will not, and can not be picked up by the human eye, unless your super eye sensitive. The problem can be reduced by lowering settings in the game, but it won't go away.

I didn't have this problem on my old AMD cpu and 5770, but it doesn't seem to matter anyways.

The stuttering is VERY evident whenever I jump out of a plane and parachute down. Frames stay consistent to 60 with V-sync on whenever I parachute. The mouse has an effect on it, but when using the keys to direct my character while parachuting the stutter won't stop until i let go of the turn key. I filmed it, but you have to look closely cause youtube 340p'd my video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OYmDsnG2fA&feature=yout... The building and objects on the ground become a skipping blur. That's what you need to focus on. NVM the headshot I pulled off lol.

I can play the game, but it is extremely annoying.

I've killed Hyper-Threading, set msconfig to boot at 4 cores, changed countless graphical settings, but this mysterious problem is only frustrating me to the point of throwing this pc out the window onto the driveway, where I'll run it over multiple times with my Silverado, then proceed to blast it apart with my shotgun, and run it over some more just to make sure it's dead.

And they say violent video games don't affect people? lol

I'm thinking of RMA'ing the card, still got 10 days or so to do that. I might even try buying a 560ti from Best Buy to at least see if changing the gpu matters. BTW, if jumping ship were to fix the problem, then I'll do it, cause for the amount of money I put into the video card alone, I had better be able to play some games I enjoy.
March 10, 2012 2:53:10 AM

The weak part of your system is still the PSU! Your current components need more power than the previous build so?
m
0
l
March 10, 2012 3:08:45 AM

Yes they need more power... I don't get this "my POS PSU worked fine till I needed more power" attitude
m
0
l
Related resources
March 10, 2012 3:31:52 AM

lol well, if that's the case, I'll try a new one. It could very well be that is the issue, cause now the screens showing a slight purple hue. *Inserts foot in mouth*.

Isn't building computers fun? I'll update to let yall know what happens.
m
0
l
March 11, 2012 10:34:19 PM

Well, I upgraded to an 850-watt psu, and the stuttering has not gone away. What do you guys think?
m
0
l
March 13, 2012 10:59:05 PM

This is unbelievably ridiculous. I tried an Nvidia graphics card and its doing the exact same stuttering. I've replaced everything except the ram, CPU, and Motherboard. I'm going to assume that the motherboard is at fault since I'm running out of things to replace or diagnose.
m
0
l
March 14, 2012 12:16:13 AM

...sorry I was going to mention hyper-threading but I see you already disabled that.

$100 bucks for a 2600K ?

Why? and from whom?
m
0
l
March 14, 2012 2:04:35 AM

Why, well I was informed it would be faster than my AMD Phenom II 925.

From whom... a friend who got a great deal on the processor, basically direct from Intel
m
0
l
March 14, 2012 2:17:06 AM

striker1553 said:
Why, well I was informed it would be faster than my AMD Phenom II 925.

From whom... a friend who got a great deal on the processor, basically direct from Intel


Not what I meant... $100 for a 2600k from say, Ebay... Naturally I'd think something was wrong with it. But since this is not the case then I apologize.
m
0
l
March 14, 2012 2:38:10 AM

oh lol, no i kinda thought the same thing at first, but to me, if the processor was "bad" would I even be able to boot and use windows?
m
0
l
March 14, 2012 3:51:17 AM

striker1553 said:
oh lol, no i kinda thought the same thing at first, but to me, if the processor was "bad" would I even be able to boot and use windows?



True, but you can never be too careful... usually if something seems too good to be true it probably is... Processors can take a lot of abuse, but apply too much voltage for any amount of time it's going to affect it's stability. A $100 bill isn't that dangerous of an investment, I would've done it. [:russwood1488:4]

http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/Power

I put all of your system info in as best I could with max TDP on the CPU @ 4ghz and full load on the system and it came out to 500w. So, if that Raidmax 630w is continuous and not peak I think it's fine.

Some tolerances to go by~

m
0
l
March 16, 2012 11:44:17 PM

Well, I just ran PC-Check by Eurosoft to test out all the components and they all passed. Especially the memory. It's a mystery to me why this just isn't working properly.
m
0
l
March 17, 2012 12:53:54 PM

I'm going to install windows 8 consumer preview and see if those drivers are any different.
m
0
l
March 17, 2012 7:38:58 PM

I would return the card and go with the 560ti personally.

I am also having stuttering with my 6950 but not to the degree you are experiencing.
m
0
l
March 17, 2012 9:54:40 PM

vollman1 said:
I would return the card and go with the 560ti personally.

I am also having stuttering with my 6950 but not to the degree you are experiencing.



We all know nVidia cards are the gifts of GOD!
m
0
l
March 19, 2012 8:05:54 PM

I tried a 560 from best buy and the stuttering was the same. I doubt a 560ti would make any difference.
m
0
l
March 22, 2012 12:02:04 AM

Boo! :( 
m
0
l
March 22, 2012 1:05:35 AM

lol, well here's what a tech at NCIX recommended I try.

"What could also be happening is PCI-E slot being faulty. The board does have a second 16x physical/4x electrical slot; I'd try running the card in it and see what happens. Finally, I would try boosting the voltage to processor's PCI-E controller as well as a little bit more vCore, as board undervolting the CPU could theoretically destabilize the PCIe controller and cause all kinds of weird issues."

I already had tried the second slot with no change.

Now, this MoBo uses offsets to adjust voltage. I haven't quite figured that one out yet. It says to increase or decrease with a +/- variable the voltage by .005V. However, that doesn't seem to read correctly in terms of the actual CPU voltage in the bios.

But, I have no idea on my board where to attempt to increase the PCIe voltage.

I switched to XMP, and there's the baseclock frequency set at 100, which I know INTEL doesn't want people to go past. But, since switching to XMP, it says BCLK/PCIe Frequency. Hmmm....

Now, in the Bios I have the option to adjust the PCH voltage via offset as well, as I'm told some boards require chipset increases to increase PCIe voltage.

I already bumped the CPU voltage from "Auto" to +.020v.

I cleaned, cleaned all, and reformatted the HD via Diskpart. Before connecting to the net, I installed the latest chipset drivers I dl'd previously, as well as Catalyst 12.2. Then connected and have been getting windows updates for days lol.

Now to let BF3 update and try it out.
m
0
l
March 22, 2012 1:27:00 AM

striker1553 said:
lol, well here's what a tech at NCIX recommended I try.

"What could also be happening is PCI-E slot being faulty. The board does have a second 16x physical/4x electrical slot; I'd try running the card in it and see what happens. Finally, I would try boosting the voltage to processor's PCI-E controller as well as a little bit more vCore, as board undervolting the CPU could theoretically destabilize the PCIe controller and cause all kinds of weird issues."

I already had tried the second slot with no change.

Now, this MoBo uses offsets to adjust voltage. I haven't quite figured that one out yet. It says to increase or decrease with a +/- variable the voltage by .005V. However, that doesn't seem to read correctly in terms of the actual CPU voltage in the bios.

But, I have no idea on my board where to attempt to increase the PCIe voltage.

I switched to XMP, and there's the baseclock frequency set at 100, which I know INTEL doesn't want people to go past. But, since switching to XMP, it says BCLK/PCIe Frequency. Hmmm....

Now, in the Bios I have the option to adjust the PCH voltage via offset as well, as I'm told some boards require chipset increases to increase PCIe voltage.

I already bumped the CPU voltage from "Auto" to +.020v.

I cleaned, cleaned all, and reformatted the HD via Diskpart. Before connecting to the net, I installed the latest chipset drivers I dl'd previously, as well as Catalyst 12.2. Then connected and have been getting windows updates for days lol.

Now to let BF3 update and try it out.


Don't mess with BCLK... Intel purposely tied PCIE in with it so people couldn't use it. PCH is the South Bridge and should be left alone unless you want to melt down the chipset. You could "enable PLL overvoltage" which helps supply voltage to the integrated PCIE controller in the CPU. VTT (VCCIO) is the memory controller and should be left alone unless you're OC'ing the CPU 4.6ghz + or OC'ing memory. VCCSA is the system agent voltage and should not be touched.
m
0
l
March 22, 2012 2:53:00 AM

OK because I will at least look into the pll over voltage. I do believe I enabled that today. Funny thing is i had used theboards overclocking feature before and it had bumped the bclk up to 103. I thought nothing of it until further reading. But that could explain something.
m
0
l
March 22, 2012 2:57:54 AM

just claim waranty on all your products and get some replacements
m
0
l
March 29, 2012 8:00:19 PM

Ok, I tried a new board, a gigabyte ud3h-b3. The same thing occurs, so i returned it, but kept the new OCZ 750w PSU I picked up at Microcenter for 100 bucks. Figured I'd better.

I disabled C1E, intel speedstep, c6, etc. and set the OC to By All cores 40Hz. Set the ram to XMP, enabled overvoltage, and set the voltage to a positive offset of .025v to allow the OC to take. voltage is at 1.190v

Will try and report.

Max CPU usage before was 30% from BF3 alone. Memory topped out at 3500mb used.
m
0
l
April 4, 2012 11:59:14 PM

The stuttering is dramatically reduced, still there when i fly, but it has gone from occurring a lot to not nearly as much. So, that's good. Must be something to do with the way the processor works.
m
0
l
!