Dead PSU or something else?

head-splitter

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
I was playing sc2 and then my computer randomly shut down. It hasn't turned back on since. I remember that when I checked the hardware, my CPU fan, PSU, and GPU all felt decently hot to the touch.

I'm getting absolutely nothing out of my PC now. No LED lights, no beeps, nothing.

I'm pretty sure I need to replace the PSU (ATX-CW500WP4), but I just want some additional thoughts on the matter.

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
If you plug in and switch on your psu there should be a led on the mobo that will indicate if it is getting any power. This led only indicates if there is a power source connected and not that the power source is good.
If there is no led lit on the mobo, most likely the psu is dead. If there is a led on the mobo and it is lit then it could be the psu or mobo. My personal experience tells me it's a dead psu though. If there is any way you could get your hands on a spare psu before you spend any cash, I would do a test first. Otherwise buy one from a local shop so you could possibly return it if it isn't the problem.

head-splitter

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012

Well, crap. Hopefully my other hardware is fine.

head-splitter

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012

AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition
GTX 460 1 GB SE
4 GB RAM
GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H

So far, I'm looking at the RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-530SS 530W and the OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W. I know OCZ has the much better name than Raidmax, but I'm pretty poor right now so I'd like to find something that's better quality than Raidmax but won't kill my wallet. The OCZ comes out to 44.99 with a 25$ rebate, but rebates rarely ever seem to work for me.

Also, thoughts on the mobo? My computer would randomly fart out on me, and I wondered if maybe it was the mobo. This was the first PC I've ever built for myself, and researching for a good mobo was by far the most difficult part.

Don't cheap out on the PSU. A great option right now is the Antec Neo Eco 520W for $49.99 after instant discount and no rebate: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371030&Tpk=neo%20eco%20520w
It is electrically sufficient for your build and has sufficient PCIe power connectors. It is made by Seasonic and based on their very nice S12II series of PSUs. Review of the 620W version: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cases/display/psu-600w-850w_5.html#sect0

I would stay away from Raidmax. The OCZ is a decent PSU, but the Neo Eco is the better quality PSU.

I don't have any personal experience with that particular mobo, but it looks nice and I've always had good success with Gigabyte mobos.

head-splitter

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012

All right, thanks, it's purchased! Hopefully this'll fix all my issues.

Also, I'm pretty sure the rest of my hardware is fine because I didn't notice any burn marks or odors coming out when my computer shut down, but can PSUs damage hardware even without any visible indication?

TRENDING THREADS