Sign in with
Your question
Solved

$1500ish gaming build critique please

Last response: in Systems
May 12, 2012 8:38:50 PM

Hi all,

I'm glad I found these forums. I could use a critique before I pull the trigger on the following build.

My primary use will be gaming, and it will also serve as an entertainment center. I want to play any and every game on max settings.

I want to be able to add a second GPU in the future for SLI, just not at this time. Overclocking is something that I would be willing to do.

I have a data HDD, a monitor, a copy of Windows 7, and peripherals.

I may be overdoing it a bit in a few places, and if so please help shift my budget to better uses.

CPU: Core i7 3770 3.4GHz $259.99 at Microcenter
MOBO: Asus Sabertooth $238.99 at Ramexperts
GPU: EVGA 670 Superclock $419.99 at Newegg (or pricematched at Amazon if oos)
PSU: Seasonic 1050w $199.99 at Newegg
SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 128gb $149.99 at Newegg
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw X Series DDR3 1600 16gb $89.99 at Newegg
OPTICAL: LG Blu-Ray Writer $79.99 at Newegg
CASE: Rosewill Thor V2 $95.99 at Gadgetneeds (pricematch at Amazon)
CPU FAN: Thermaltake Water 2.0 $69.99 at Newegg

I have the free shipping thing with newegg.

Total Price:
$1604.91 + tax

Any criticisms are welcomed and appreciated.
May 12, 2012 8:44:03 PM

change cpu to i5 3570k theyre no diffrence in gaming from a i7. change graphics to a evga 680 better profermance than 670. take the psu down to a 750w corasir modular psu, change to 8gb of 1600 ram.change the cpu cooler to a coolermaster hyper 212+ , get just a dvd driveget a corsair 600t case.now you save some cash and have a better pc.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
May 12, 2012 8:52:38 PM

naw naw naw. just leave it. looks great, but i dont recommend SSD's
m
l
Related resources
May 12, 2012 9:00:08 PM

Thanks for the response. The i7 is only $10 more than the i5, so will for sure go with the i7.

The 680's are out of stock everywhere, and the 670 superclock is just a hair behind and $100 cheaper.

The PSU I think I'm overdoing it on, but I want it to be able to handle SLI with zero problems in the future. Will 750 handle multiple SSD, HDD, 2 GPU, blu-ray etc?

I want the Blu-ray because this is also an entertainment pc and I will be connecting it to my 55" 3d led tv.

I hate the tight spaces of a mid tower, but that case does look interesting.

Isn't a water cooling fan vastly superior to the an air fain like the one you recommended?

Why only 8gb? My current rig has 8gb and if I'm running SWTOR, music, and multiple web tabs it almost takes it all.
m
l
May 12, 2012 9:02:44 PM

darwin619 said:
Thanks for the response. The i7 is only $10 more than the i5, so will for sure go with the i7.

The 680's are out of stock everywhere, and the 670 superclock is just a hair behind and $100 cheaper.

The PSU I think I'm overdoing it on, but I want it to be able to handle SLI with zero problems in the future. Will 750 handle multiple SSD, HDD, 2 GPU, blu-ray etc?

I want the Blu-ray because this is also an entertainment pc and I will be connecting it to my 55" 3d led tv.

I hate the tight spaces of a mid tower, but that case does look interesting.

Isn't a water cooling fan vastly superior to the an air fain like the one you recommended?

Why only 8gb? My current rig has 8gb and if I'm running SWTOR, music, and multiple web tabs it almost takes it all.

No, it is not vastly superior. I doubt it uses all of the 8GB. I do pretty much the same things as you but play BF3 and it barely uses 4gb RAM.
m
l
May 12, 2012 9:12:21 PM

Is the water cooler a better choice though?
m
l
May 12, 2012 9:32:40 PM

Well watercooling is often worse. Cooling is all about surface area to disperse heat. Look at the thickness of the radiator. Its tiny. Small surface area = crap dissipation.
Yeah you only need 8gb of ram. Games dont use any more than 4.
750w will do fine for future SLI, and you are right about the 670 vs 680. 680 is a waste of money for 3 fps faster gameplay.
m
l
May 12, 2012 9:33:33 PM

I second getting the i5.

There is not much consensus on closed loops water cooling vs big air. A main advantage is the heat is blown outside the case. The hyper 212 would be "good enough" at a discount.

SSDs are a must have as a boot drive. 128gig could work but is a little small, planning on a getting an hdd too?

8gig of ram is sufficient for gaming, but ram is cheap so either way can't hurt.
m
l
May 12, 2012 9:48:57 PM

Ok, I'll go with a good air fan.

I already have a couple of TB in data drives, so the SSD is just for the OS and games.

m
l
May 12, 2012 9:52:17 PM

128 is fine then. I'm using 64gig ssd+ 1tb hdd. And I have to put half my steam games on my hdd.
m
l
May 12, 2012 11:17:27 PM

at microcenter i5 is around $190 will save a lot and compared to i7 it is better for gaming since i7 has hyper threading which gets in the way of games.

change PSU to SeaSonic X Series X650 if you want the same kind only difference is that it doesn't have the hybrid switch (1050w is way to much)

if you want to save even more money i suggest going with
SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W
this one is pretty silent but not compared to the first one. this one is bronze compared to one that is gold. gold will be more efficient and this one is less pricey

SSD is very nice fastest on the market currently don't know if it is unstable as sandforce as i haven't tried it yet

Heatsink: this one is better than most watercooling http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

change ram into 4x2GB at 1600 speed u won't ever need 16GB for games

change mobo into something less pricey if you want to stick to Asus then this one is good

this one is also pretty good tried it before has a great Bios

if you are going to buy/rent blu ray movies then that is a good choice if you are not and just going to download them just get a $20 one

not a fan of black cases anymore would much more recommend a 500R white or one of these

btw i don't recommend going with a high power supply because every time i want to do a SLI in the future i never go through with it because there already is new and improved GPUs which i would rather get than getting a second of the same graphics card
m
l
May 13, 2012 12:04:41 AM

Max1s said:
Well watercooling is often worse. Cooling is all about surface area to disperse heat. Look at the thickness of the radiator. Its tiny. Small surface area = crap dissipation.
Yeah you only need 8gb of ram. Games dont use any more than 4.
750w will do fine for future SLI, and you are right about the 670 vs 680. 680 is a waste of money for 3 fps faster gameplay.

+1
m
l
May 13, 2012 4:47:21 AM

im guessing you dont live in us the i5 and i7 price dif is 100$, the 600t is a huge midtower just not as tall as fulll tower
m
l
May 13, 2012 4:53:42 AM

I think I will stick on the i7 since it handles games like Total War better, and I have dabbled with movie fan editing in the past and might again with a new rig. Same thing with the ram. Ram is so cheap, another $40 wont break the bank.

I think I will make some adjustments.

The Rosewill Thor V2 + Rosewill Lightning 800 $244.98 at Newegg

Noctuna NH-D14 $79.99 at PC Direct (no rebate needed)
m
l
May 13, 2012 4:58:52 AM

darwin619 said:
I think I will stick on the i7 since it handles games like Total War better, and I have dabbled with movie fan editing in the past and might again with a new rig. Same thing with the ram. Ram is so cheap, another $40 wont break the bank.

I think I will make some adjustments.

The Rosewill Thor V2 + Rosewill Lightning 800 $244.98 at Newegg

Noctuna NH-D14 $79.99 at PC Direct (no rebate needed)

that is just horrid getting a 500R white and a seasonic 620 modular is a much better choice
m
l
May 13, 2012 5:02:25 AM

boulbox said:
that is just horrid getting a 500R white and a seasonic 620 modular is a much better choice

What makes your suggestion a better choice? I really want to make the best decision here.
m
l
May 13, 2012 5:10:09 AM

boulbox said:

why arent u a fan of black cases?? any particular reason other than just aesthetics?
m
l
May 13, 2012 5:45:30 AM

Getting pretty confused with cases and power supplies. What makes one better than the next?

I was looking a bronze/silver/gold and wattage.
m
l
May 13, 2012 5:57:19 AM

darwin619 said:
Getting pretty confused with cases and power supplies. What makes one better than the next?

I was looking a bronze/silver/gold and wattage.

Don't get too caught up on the opinions here. Even your original system was fine.

m
l
May 13, 2012 6:38:42 AM

erunion said:
Don't get too caught up on the opinions here. Even your original system was fine.

Well the original PSU was overkill (even with SLI in mind), and his choice of processor seemed illogical since he is ready to spend $70+ on CPU cooling, implying he may want to overclock. If he doesn't plan to overclock then spending a dime on cooling is idiotic. Intel's fan works just fine. But his choice of CPU doesn't have an unlocked multiplier, unlike the i5 3570k. So the latter, while cheaper, will probably outperform the i7 in most tasks once it's overclocked.
m
l
May 13, 2012 3:31:21 PM

a 620 watt will be all you need for 1 GPU i don't really suggest going with 2 GPU for 1 monitor

the reason why this case is much better is because the cable management on the side of the case which means less wires when you look into the case and better air flow

Thor doesn't look as nice and if you are going to be spending 1.5k on a build i think you would want to have a nice looking case. Thor is pretty big in height but 500R is wider and smaller so you can fit it in more places
m
l
May 13, 2012 3:52:31 PM

boulbox said:
a 620 watt will be all you need for 1 GPU i don't really suggest going with 2 GPU for 1 monitor

the reason why this case is much better is because the cable management on the side of the case which means less wires when you look into the case and better air flow

Thor doesn't look as nice and if you are going to be spending 1.5k on a build i think you would want to have a nice looking case. Thor is pretty big in height but 500R is wider and smaller so you can fit it in more places

He said he was interested in SLI for future upgrades. So it's not a question of whether he will be running one small monitor today, but rather what requirements might he need in 1 or 2 years time, and will SLI be beneficial at that time. Obviously we can't make accurate predictions concerning games that do not exist yet. However SLI does provide better performance in many of today's games, so it's a safe bet to assume that it would help in the future as well.
m
l

Best solution

May 13, 2012 5:11:57 PM

thezooloomaster said:
Well the original PSU was overkill (even with SLI in mind), and his choice of processor seemed illogical since he is ready to spend $70+ on CPU cooling, implying he may want to overclock. If he doesn't plan to overclock then spending a dime on cooling is idiotic. Intel's fan works just fine. But his choice of CPU doesn't have an unlocked multiplier, unlike the i5 3570k. So the latter, while cheaper, will probably outperform the i7 in most tasks once it's overclocked.

Agreed on all points. And good catch on the CPU. I hadn't realized it wasn't a K.

But he's not on a tight budget where saving a few bucks means the difference between getting an average versus a good video card.

Darwin, only K series (eg 3770K and 3570k) can do real overclocking. On the regular 3770 you can clock all cores to the turbo ratio(3.9ghz), but not beyond that. Where as the K series can go to 4.6-4.9ghz.
May 13, 2012 8:54:31 PM

Thanks for all the help. I pulled the trigger on the following build this morning.

CPU: i5 3570k (i will oc)
MOBO: Asus Sabertooth
GPU: EVGA 670 Superclocked
RAM: G.Skill Rupjaw X 8cas 16gb
SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 128gb
CASE: Corsair 500r white
FAN: Noctua NH-D14
OPTICAL: Cheap Sony DVD writer (will upgrade to Blu-Ray when I buy a new 3d TV)
m
l
May 13, 2012 9:05:55 PM

Congrats
m
l
May 13, 2012 9:32:38 PM

Best answer selected by darwin619.
m
l
!