Urgent tech support: 3 mobos, two graphics cards, two PSUs, same prb

cwolfer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
This is my second ever system build and I've exhausted my know how. This is urgent because I'm building the computer for a family member while I'm visiting and I have to leave tomorrow evening.

Problem: No power when I hit the power button.

Yesterdays setup:

Biostar H61MGC mobo
Rosewill Hive 550 psu
Radeon 6870

When I plug everything in and hit power, nothing happens.

I've tried the power switch plug on every possible location for it (even though I'm almost certain I had it right the first time).

Paperclip trick powers everything up, however.

I had a spare trash mobo sitting around (it has dram problems...refuses to boot)...Asus p8p67. Plugging everything into this one and pressing power powers everything on -- until I plug both 6 pin connectors into the GPU. It's fine on the first one, but seems to "short out" when I plug the 2nd one in.

Based on that, I deduced that the problem is most likely the PSU or Mobo, with an off chance it's the GPU.

Today went to the store and purchased 3 new components:

Gigabyte H61-S2H
Corsair CS600 PSU
EVGA GTX 570

Hooked everything up outside of the case this time (well, the basics: cpu, gpu, ram). Plugged in the power switch. Plugged in the 6 pin connectors to the GPU. Used the same power supply as original (rosewill hive) since I planned to return the components I bought that I didn't need, and I thought the mobo was the most likely culprit. Pressed power, everything started up (didn't plug it into a display at this point). Turned it off, installed it in the case, installed all the other components (optical drive, hdd, the front usb, firewire, etc connectors). Screwed it into the mobo, plugged it into the monitor, hit power...nothing. Did not power up.

Tried new PSU, exact same problem.

Tried paperclip trick on both PSUs and everything starts spinning just fine.

I'm at a loss and don't know what to try next.

My *only* guess is that there is something seriously wrong with the original PSU, and when I tried to turn it on, it fried the on/off component of the mobo. But I'm wary about rushing out to return this mobo and get a new one without determining what exactly the problem is.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edit 1: The second setup will not power up outside the case anymore.

cwolfer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011

Thought of that as well, but it won't power up outside of the case the same way I had it hooked up initially (when it would start up outside the case)

cwolfer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011

4 pin is in. Only one stick plugged in. Had two sticks plugged in when it powered on outside the box before.

cwolfer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011

Sorry I was unclear. No boot with one or two now. No power at all unless I do the paperclip trick.

cwolfer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011

Second one was corsair.

It can't be just a power supply issue though can it? If the power supplies work with a paper clip, shouldn't they, at the very least, power stuff on to the paper clip level when I plug in the connector and hit power?

cwolfer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011

It does turn on with the paper clip trick. It doesn't turn on any other way though.

Mark_F

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Have you tried shorting the power pins on the MB to switch on? (ie don't plug in the power switch, instead short the 2 pins with a flatblade screwdriver). Could be a bad cable for the switch thats only occasionally making contact.

cwolfer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011

Yep, no go unfortunately.

cwolfer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Solved. Major pebkac.

New problem though: gtx 570 won't give me any display. All was working fine and I stepped away to let windows load the setup files. Came back to no display.

Tried dvi instead of hdmi and no go. Machine still posts (gives me that first beep) and everything (including gpu fan) spins up. But no display. Monitor insists no input. Tried a diff monitor too. Tried reseating ram.

Keyboard, mouse, fans, LEDs etc power on just fine. Dead gpu?