Sign in with
Your question

Why do servers list a maximum hard drive capacity?

Last response: in Components
August 30, 2012 7:36:25 AM

Can't I use any size drives I'd like (provided that it is physically compatible with the server)? Is there a reason for this? The reason I ask is because I'm currently eyeing a server that will hold 8 x 146 gb drives. Is there any reason I can't use 8 x 500 gb drives? Is this a RAID limitation? And if so, can I get around this by not using a RAID configuration (just an array of disks) or using a RAID 0 configuration?

Thanks.
August 30, 2012 8:16:44 AM

They are fast 10k+ RPM SAS drivers, probably in 2,5" format. You can use any other drives (SAS is SATA compatible) you like, but they simply won't be that fast.
m
l
August 30, 2012 11:44:01 AM

Is it a used one? 146GB sounds like we are talking about SCSI/SCA 80-pin discs? Even if it is SAS already i wouldn't bet that SATA discs work (well), because the RAID controller was not tested with it. If you want to try SATA, go for the RAID editions that support TLER.
m
l
September 23, 2012 4:39:08 AM

AFAIK there are no 2.5" SATA drives that support TLER other than perhaps the Seagate Constellations. You could always try a couple drives and see if it's an issue. Sometimes it is, some times it isn't, it depends on the controller.
m
l
!