Closed

How to run a Windows command as a background job like Unix ?

To all,

Is it possible to run a command under the Win XP commnad prompt as a background job

In unix, it should be "COMMAND &"
but how to do it in Windows?

Thanks!

From Jason (Kusanagihk)
5 answers Last reply
More about windows command background unix

    Hi Jason,

    See if the information in this thread helps:
    Subject: Silent .bat/.cmd file (no window)
    http://groups.google.co.in/groups?hl=en&lr=&selm=uhU4x5jMEHA.2644%40TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Jason Jacob" <50230065@alumni.cityu.edu.hk> wrote in message news:b894244a.0412192342.6dd360f2@posting.google.com...
    To all,

    Is it possible to run a command under the Win XP commnad prompt as a background job

    In unix, it should be "COMMAND &"
    but how to do it in Windows?

    Thanks!

    From Jason (Kusanagihk)
  2. In case anyone has this problem in future, I finally found out the solution. The START command in Windows command line allows you to start another command window running any command; and the /B option can start the command without the extra command window, so you get similar behavior to Unix's background processes. Look it up for more details.
  3. Have a look here for a much essayer and cleaned solution to run bat files without any windows in the background !
    http://antisystem.info/?p=269

    Hope this helps !
  4. Boy I think you are all on the wrong track ...

    start is what you are looking for.

    so in *NIX ... xxx &
    in dos/win ... start xxx
  5. This topic has been closed by Aford10

Configuration Unix Command Prompt Windows XP