Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Closed

How to run a Windows command as a background job like Unix ?

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Unix
  • Command Prompt
  • Windows XP
December 20, 2004 2:42:26 AM

To all,

Is it possible to run a command under the Win XP commnad prompt as a background job

In unix, it should be "COMMAND &"
but how to do it in Windows?

Thanks!

From Jason (Kusanagihk)

More about : run windows command background job unix

Anonymous
December 20, 2004 5:29:11 PM

Hi Jason,

See if the information in this thread helps:
Subject: Silent .bat/.cmd file (no window)
http://groups.google.co.in/groups?hl=en&lr=&selm=uhU4x5...

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Jason Jacob" <50230065@alumni.cityu.edu.hk> wrote in message news:b894244a.0412192342.6dd360f2@posting.google.com...
To all,

Is it possible to run a command under the Win XP commnad prompt as a background job

In unix, it should be "COMMAND &"
but how to do it in Windows?

Thanks!

From Jason (Kusanagihk)
June 1, 2008 6:37:23 PM

In case anyone has this problem in future, I finally found out the solution. The START command in Windows command line allows you to start another command window running any command; and the /B option can start the command without the extra command window, so you get similar behavior to Unix's background processes. Look it up for more details.
Related resources
April 13, 2009 12:38:53 PM

Have a look here for a much essayer and cleaned solution to run bat files without any windows in the background !
http://antisystem.info/?p=269

Hope this helps !
December 21, 2010 4:51:29 PM

Boy I think you are all on the wrong track ...

start is what you are looking for.

so in *NIX ... xxx &
in dos/win ... start xxx
December 21, 2010 4:59:33 PM