CPU overclock help please.

vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
Hi. I just started messing around in my BIOS (I have an asus UEFI BIOS) and there are 3 settings I can choose for power or something there is low normal and asus optimal. I selected asus optimal rebooted and now my fx4170 is at 4551 MHz instead of 4200 MHz and my computer is making twice as much noise as before.

I was just wondering if this is safe? I haven't seen it go passed 69 degrees celcius so far. Also can this damage any of my other components?

(edit) don't ask me how but i somehow managed to overclock to 4552 MHz without knowing. But I would still like to know if I should choose asus low asus normal or asus optimal in the UEFI bios : /

Solution
Cooling also includes your CPU and chipset cooling, not just case fans. Your CPU is already running at max 69C which is very hot for an AMD chip; my Athlon II barely exceeds 40C max.

My advice: Disable auto OC, and then play with the settings again when you have the Phenom CPU you mentioned. Careful manual overclocking is much safer and controlled.
FX processors have turbo mode, so they will overclock dynamically from time to time. Your power setting may have enabled some built-in Asus OC functionality that has now pushed the clocks even further. I suggest you read though your mobo documentation or contact Asus support to find out what each power profile is supposed to do.

In the meantime, I think you should set the profile on Normal. This sounds like default settings to me.

aramisathei

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
You mentioned your system is at 69 degrees c.
Is this the mobo temp or the cpu temp?
Also, what motherboard are you using?

Just speculating, but I'd guess that your system is making a lot more noise because the fans are running on a stronger (read:louder) profile to compensate for the additional heat being generated.

61 degrees is the max temp designated for your cpu, so that would explain why the fans are pushing so hard and making more noise if your cpu is running at 69 degrees.

vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
I set it to auto overclock in the UEFI BIOS so it was set to 4552 automatically. And the power thing i found out is safe to be set to optimal. do you gusy think that 64-68 degrees is pushing it for the FX4170? and if so can it damage other parts than the FX4170? I don't really care about the FX4170.

My CPU is at 69 degrees celsius and my MOBO is the MB ASUS|M5A97 970 AM3+ SB950 R.

I'm only going to be using this CPU for like 6-7 days will it be okay to run it at 60-71 degrees celsius until then without damaging other components like my GPU?

vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

No there is this neat setting called automatic OC that just automatically OC the CPU a bit I guess. I can turn it off or on. And I;m getting a phenom II 965 BE that I'm going to OC to 4ghz.

vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

My powersupply is a coolermaster extreme power plus 700w do you think I'm good??

also it doesn't appear to have overclocked my RAM or GPU

also I have two large fans at least 4x4 inches and 2 small fans like 2x2 inches in my case for additional cooling do you think it will suffice?

Cooling also includes your CPU and chipset cooling, not just case fans. Your CPU is already running at max 69C which is very hot for an AMD chip; my Athlon II barely exceeds 40C max.

My advice: Disable auto OC, and then play with the settings again when you have the Phenom CPU you mentioned. Careful manual overclocking is much safer and controlled.

Solution