Sign in with
Your question

What to do?

Last response: in CPUs
August 30, 2012 8:25:37 AM

Hello, Hello, my friend gave me his old mobo LGAA 1156 so i got a i3 1156 pretty new and it came with the stock fan and so I did not upgrade the fan. Occasionally it would restart itself because I believe of it overheating and now it will not start like i can see the lights turn on the fan begins and then stops and then tries to turn itself back on. What is the cause of this? What should i do? thanks for your help in advance

More about : question

August 30, 2012 8:32:56 AM

one, you didn't cote the chip with silicone so therefore it overheated and it burnt the cpu. two, the board is partially static shocked. this could of happened if you didn't touch the side of your metal case before putting in the board or even touching the board. three, your friend gave you the board shocking it himself already.

the only other option would be a blue screen error. but since it just restarts, it sounds like a hardware problem. i can only tell you that from experiance, I would assume its the cpu overheated and shocked the mobo. next time use silicone lubricant.

hope this helps. sorry for the loss.
m
l
August 30, 2012 8:48:50 AM

Thanks, so that means i would need a new mobo then correct?
m
l
Related resources
September 1, 2012 1:37:10 AM

Well technically that could be the case. There are more than a handful of other problems. It's hard to understand what happened but since you say that the computer will actually boot to windows or what ever OS you are using. It sounds like it is just overheating. I would do the following:

Unplug all connections
Open the case
Remove CPU fan/heatsink
If there is THERMAL PASTE on the CPU, I would then remove it with alcohol swabs, and buy some new thermal paste and apply it.
(Before you apply the thermal paste, take the cpu out of the socket and make sure there arn't any bent pins on the mobo.)
If there are bent pins you need a new mobo.
If there is NO THERMAL PASTE, that means that it obviously is just an over heating issue, and you need to buy thermal paste.

If this does nothing, I'm sorry its probably a bad motherboard.

You could probably find a replacement for a LGA 1156 board somewhere on the internet or at your local computer shop. Keep in mind that when you go to a computer shop, the board should only be around $50-80 for a medium end board. Therefore it would be better if you purchased one of newegg.com or some other website.

The only probably with replacing the board is that you will have to completely uninstall Windows or your OS, install a new one, and then install all the drivers for the new board. This is quite a hassle and I wouldn't bother doing it.

You could get an i5-2500k/i7-2600k and a mobo that will work for around $300-500. It probably sounds like a lot but it is worth it. Then you just need to redo the operating system, buy the ram and such. (Practically I'm telling you to build a new computer.)

If you need my help on pricing and parts for the computer, I'd be happy to work with you in finding parts on newegg.com. Just tell me your price range. Thank you. Sorry if the board doesn't work.
m
l
September 1, 2012 2:17:56 AM
September 1, 2012 8:09:20 PM

i would take option 1 and then use a different board. reviews are too low for my liking. Its your choice but, trust me, I wouldn't buy that board nevertheless by from amazon.

I would suggest buying these.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The i5 2500k is just about equal to the i7 2600k minus the vertex processors. Either way, you'll pull off beast frame rates with this.

Let me know what you think.

Oh and as for the cooler master cpu heatsink and fan. Go for it, sure will help with keeping the temps down. Although I don't think it is needed for the i5 2500k. It runs cool almost all the time. Just make sure you put thermal paste this time...
m
l
September 1, 2012 9:16:11 PM

Ok I'm not to sure if that i5 will fit my budget. Do you think the other i5 2400 would be good? And would it work with the board you recommend
m
l
September 2, 2012 7:18:27 PM

JonCeles said:
i would take option 1 and then use a different board. reviews are too low for my liking. Its your choice but, trust me, I wouldn't buy that board nevertheless by from amazon.

I would suggest buying these.

The i5 2500k is just about equal to the i7 2600k minus the vertex processors. Either way, you'll pull off beast frame rates with this.

Let me know what you think.

Oh and as for the cooler master cpu heatsink and fan. Go for it, sure will help with keeping the temps down. Although I don't think it is needed for the i5 2500k. It runs cool almost all the time. Just make sure you put thermal paste this time...

Ok I'm not to sure if that i5 will fit my budget. Do you think the other i5 2400 would be good? And would it work with the board you recommend
Add to the list of quoted messages Quick edit Edit this message
m
l
!