Sign in with
Your question

Cheap & Good Power Supply for a super powerful PC ?

Last response: in Components
August 30, 2012 9:06:35 AM

Hi forum,

I am trying to build a new super powerful PC:

- Motherboard: ASUS P9X79PRO
- CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K
- SSD: Intel 520 Series 180/240 GB
- RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

I don't play games at all and I don't edit video clips or do any graphics processing at all. So, I really don't want to spend much money on the Graphic Card. Therefore, I will get any Cheap Graphic Card.

I have seen zillions of Cheap & Good Power Supply on Amazon and newegg and the like, and that makes me very confused.

Therefore, Could you please help me out by suggesting to me a Cheap, Very Basic, and Good Power Supply that will be compatible with my PC's specifications and will be suitable for it?

I would greatly and sincerely appreciate your help !
a b ) Power supply
August 30, 2012 9:59:50 AM

Ok so... this is a good cheap power supply.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
You do NOT want to go any cheaper than that.

And still.

Youve got an INCREDIBLY powerfull PC and you're not editing video OR gaming?!?
Why do you need all that power then?
August 30, 2012 10:07:52 AM

I am working with Virtual machines (2 VMs on the same box), SharePoint 2010 and SharePoint 2013 which eat SO MUCH RAM and need REALLY super powerful CPU.

Sadly, This is why I do need RAM and CPU.
Related resources
August 30, 2012 10:30:02 AM

Some friends of mine have the same specifications, But they bought Power Supply 850 Watt.

Do I really need to get the same or what do you think?

Of course, All I care about is to keep my machine safe and working.
a c 158 ) Power supply
August 30, 2012 1:03:05 PM

If you're not gaming or using pograms that can leverage the processig power of the GPU then I would use the integrated graphics. There is some debate on whether having a discrete GPU affects performance and it is software dependent. Take a look at this thread and see if you might get some enefit from a GPU: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/308090-33-graphics-ca...

If you know that you won't benefit then use the integrated graphics and you won't need more than a good 250-300W PSU. I would recommend either the Antec EA380D: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... or the Seasonic SS-300ET: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a c 158 ) Power supply
August 30, 2012 1:07:35 PM

If you find that you're applications can use the GPu or specifically the Cuda cores in an nVidia card and you decide to get one of those cards, then the PSU requirements will obviously change. You still won't need more than a good 500-550W PSU for any single GPU.
August 30, 2012 1:19:46 PM

If you are just looking at the above plus a basic video card with a pair of 120mm fans you are looking at around 300w required. so a 450w PSU will be fine and allow room for extra hdd/ssd if you find you are running out of disk IOPS. or a 2 or 4 port Graphic card for more network options.

As for brand the usual names Corsair, Seasonic, Etc
August 30, 2012 3:41:50 PM

I would recommend the Cooler Master Silent Pro M II 620W as a good, modular, efficient, silent power supply with a good warranty. (5 years) Corsair or Seasonic power supplies will be great as well and probably a little better but with a higher price tag for an equivalent, modular power supply.
a b ) Power supply
August 30, 2012 3:55:37 PM

IMHO, you are trying to save money in the wrong place. CHEAP & GOOD are terms diametrically opposed in most situations especially PSUs. My advice is to buy the highest wattage QUALITY PSU you can afford and consider it an insurance policy. In all probability it will last through several builds.
a b ) Power supply
August 30, 2012 4:33:31 PM

Rugger said:
If you're not gaming or using pograms that can leverage the processig power of the GPU then I would use the integrated graphics.

As good an idea as this is, sadly the LGA2011 stuff does NOT have integrated graphics. You will need a discrete graphics card, even if it's a lowly as a Radeon 5450 or GT210.

As to power consumption. If you are using a low power graphics card, or none at all (not recommended as it can cause stability issues), then a quality 430 Watt supply should be sufficient. You'll only need the higher watt supplies once you start loading the system up with mid to high-end graphics cards.
a b ) Power supply
August 30, 2012 5:58:12 PM

Read some reviews about power supplies on hardwaresecrets.com, they actualy test the power supply themselves, you may spend an hour reading, but you will know the difference between what is good and what is not.
August 30, 2012 6:48:42 PM

PC Power and Cooling Mk III - newegg - $40 after rebate

400 watts & modular, 5 yr warranty
a b ) Power supply
August 30, 2012 6:50:33 PM

High-end CPU for pretty much CPU-only tasks and practically no GPU to speak of would easily work on a good 250W PSU.
!