Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Composite Video -> USB -> Windowed display

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 10, 2012 4:31:35 AM

Hey Guys,

I've just unearthed my old nintendo 64 and was struck by the realisation that I don't actually own a TV, I've been browsing online to find some way to use my computer display to play and realise that the obvious solution is to just buy a Composite -> HDMI converter, however in the interest of not having to unplug a monitor every time I want to play I was wondering if a device exists which will allow me to plug my N64 into a USB port via some sort of adapter and view the display through my computer, like as another application window?

Thanks guys,
Hazar3000

(I put this under TV Tuner Cards as I need to pick a sub-section and it seems to most appropriate place)
March 10, 2012 4:39:27 AM

(unless you want to buy a USB TV tuner) There are USB video capture devices but they are pretty flaky.
m
l
March 10, 2012 4:41:44 AM

TV tuners have composite video inputs?

I always assumed it was an output...

and assuming I can get one for <$300-$400 then I'm actually happy to do that
m
l
Related resources
March 10, 2012 4:52:10 AM

OK. You didn't mention the insane budget LOL. Go buy a tv. lol.

Anyway blame it being 2 am and my slow phone editing. We always hooked our (original Nintendo) up with the RCA to RF cord that came with it. reading fail.

If you have a composite to HDMI converter( that actually works, those composite to HDMI cables wont) why not just get an HDMI switch?

m
l

Best solution

March 10, 2012 5:13:38 AM

Sigh... this is not my night. Now I am mixing up component and composite. must sleep. So if it is composite it would work with a TV tuner with said composite to RF adapter.

This might work, but these always seem to want to have issues.
www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-S-Video-Composite-Capture-S...

And with that.I give up trying to confuse people for the night

March 10, 2012 8:24:01 PM

Best answer selected by hazar3000.
m
l
!