Do i need to reinstall my OS after replacing the CPU

Solution

Well, like you were told, not after just replacing the CPU in the same mobo.

Reinstalling is definitely recommended if you replace the board too, though (especially from AMD to Intel, since there will be many differences in the platforms).

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Regardless of the OS license and thermal paste, the problem here is if the OS will be able to install all the devices on the mobo needed to boot the OS.
I personally don't think so... I would definately like to see it happen though!
If you back up all your stuff and don't really have a problem loosing the OS, give it a shot...
Let us know how it goes!

Lazar_99

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

Nah i probably won't be doing that any time soon. I just bought this intel core i5 3570k and i'm currently saving for a motherboard so its gonna take a year maybe lol

Lazar_99

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

That's the basic knowledge for anyone who is building a PC. But i'm replacing both CPU and motherboard. I bought an intel core i5 3570k and i'm saving for a motherboard but i currently use an AMD platform until i buy the motherboard. Also the pre-applied compound on the stock cooler is untouched so i won't need to replace it but if i do i still have spare paste from my CM hyper TX3 that hasn't been used yet but i bought it in case the hyper tx3 didn't have pre-applied paste

akxpckwb

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
Oh yeah I didn't notice you were also going to substitute the motherboard... that's what happens when you read stuff first thing in the morning right after waking up.

Well in that case it is recommended that you format the HDD and install everything again to avoid possible issues. You could also try without formatting the HDD. If it works good if it doesn't a format will solve it.

Also if your system is OEM you might not be able to use the OS CD you have

Lazar_99

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

Don't worry i use a downloaded version of windows 7 and used windows loader to make it genuine... xD

You've been around here long enough to know that you shouldn't admit that... I don't fault you for telling the truth, but there are times when the truth is best left unsaid.

Lazar_99

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

I asked this because i heard many people had to reinstall their OS after replacing their CPU

Well, like you were told, not after just replacing the CPU in the same mobo.

Reinstalling is definitely recommended if you replace the board too, though (especially from AMD to Intel, since there will be many differences in the platforms).

Solution