Will Xbox Ethernet Systemlink Cables work on Xbox360?

Will Xbox Ethernet Systemlink Cables work on Xbox360?

Btw, why don't standard ethernet cables work on Xbox?
7 answers Last reply
More about will xbox ethernet systemlink cables work xbox360

    "electro" <electro77@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Will Xbox Ethernet Systemlink Cables work on Xbox360?
    >
    > Btw, why don't standard ethernet cables work on Xbox?

    yes.

    standard cables won't work for systemlink because the send and receive need
    to be switched.

    I dont understand. Could you elaborate?

    On 19 Jul 2005 13:40:21 -0700, in article
    <1121805621.422183.91300@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, electro drawled...

    >I dont understand. Could you elaborate?

    If I may...

    The standard ethernet cables are a straight-through cabling. The first wire on
    one end goes all the way through the cable to the opposing side. The cable
    needed for the XBox is called a cross-over ethernet cable. I don't remember
    which terminals/pins are crossed, but two of them indeed switch places from one
    side to the other. Systemlink cables are this cross-over kind.

    For my setup, I've got a short (18") cross-over cable, an ethernet coupling
    adapter, and a very long standard ethernet cable. Much cheaper. As long as
    there is a cross-over in the line, it all works good.

    --
    Sir Real http://www.sirrealcomix.ws/
    tosspam@aol.com abuse@aol.com abuse@yahoo.com abuse@hotmail.com

    Here is the easiest way to explain it...

    If you want to play XBL over the internet then you would use an CAT5
    ethernet cable.

    If you want to play systemlink games over a server like Gamespy the you
    would have to use a CAT5 crossover cable.

    electro wrote:
    > I dont understand. Could you elaborate?

    A "standard" ethernet cable has wires connecting pin 1 on one end to pin
    1 on the other end, pin 2 to pin 2, etc., etc. This works fine for
    connecting network cards (there's one in the xbox) to routers, hubs or
    switches.

    If, however, you want to connect two network cards (two xboxes) together
    without a hub, you must use a "crossover" cable. I presume that is what
    a "system link cable" is. So, it should work with an Xbox 360 if it
    is connected to another Xbox 360 (or network card) directly. Ethernet
    is a pretty solid standard, so I doubt Microsoft will go against it.

    Any standard ethernet crossover cable will work. You can get them anywhere
    for $2.

    >I dont understand. Could you elaborate?

    Standard ethernet cable - 8 "pins" or cunductors. These 8 pins are set in
    pairs. Blue, orange, green and brown. A crossover cable has the 568a wiring
    standard on one end and the 568b standard on the other. A straight through
    is either 568a or B but the same on both ends. Ethernet requires only two
    pairs to transmit and receive. The pins for 568b are Orange is 1 and 2 Green
    is 3 and 6 Blue is 4 and 5 and brown is 7 and 8. On 568a Green is 1 and 2
    Orange is 3 and 6 Blue is 4 and 5 and Brown is 7 and 8. Get it? 1,2 and 3,6
    roll on a crossover.

Console Gaming Xbox 360 Ethernet Card Cable Xbox Video Games