Which P&S to complement a dSLR (follows "Hamstrung by a dS..

Last response: in Digital Camera
July 5, 2005 4:59:34 AM

Hi,

>From the thread "Hamstrung by a dSLR", I concluded that its a good idea
to acquire a P&S for using when I don't want to lug around the Canon
300D. Now the obvious question is which one. I don't want to spend too
much on a super-sleek/small, mega mega pixel and the latest P&S out
there. My wish list in the order of priority is:
1) Priced somewhere around $300
2) Atleast 5MP so if capture a real good one, I can atleast put it up
in 8x10
3) Good high-ISO performance
4) Good low-light AF
5) light-weight (around 300 gms)
6) An all manual option where I can set Aperture and Shutter
7) 3x-6x optical zoom
8) Preferably uses CF cards so I can share them between the P&S and the
300D
9) Video with audio at 640x480 30fps would be a nice addition
10) Good macro capability

I narrowed it down to three cameras, the Canon A95, Nikon Coolpix 7900
and Panasonic LZ2. But got good and bad points against each one of
them.

Canon A95
=========
Fits the bill perfectly except for high-ISO performance (as dpreview
reports). And I don't want to trade-off the first five in the wish
list.

Nikon Coolpix 7900
==================
Again, fits very well except for AF issues especially in low-light :(

Panasonic LZ2
=============
Lots of nice features like image stabilisation and a 6x optical zoom.
Downsides are that low-light AF is poor, high-ISO performance is poor,
it has a plastic body as against the metal ones of the former two, has
no viewfinder (optical or EVF) and video is only 320 x 240 at 10fps.

Also, the Canon and the Nikon have a 1/1.8" sensor while the Panasonic
has a 1/2.5" sensor.

So whats your opinion?

Thanks,

- Siddhartha
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 8:06:15 AM

ASAAR wrote:
> On 5 Jul 2005 00:59:34 -0700, Siddhartha Jain wrote:
>
> > So whats your opinion?
>
> The Coolpix 7900 has manual exposure controls? If it does I've
> probably mis-recalled a recent message here. If you already have a
> Canon external flash for your 300D, and if the G6 can benefit from
> some of its 'smart' features, it might be worth spending some more
> money than you originally planned by getting a G6 instead of the
> A95. It's lightweight, but 80 gms above the 300 in your wish list.
> It uses Canon's BP-511A, which is probably also used in the 300D (I
> know that it is used in the 20D), so getting a G6 would almost (not
> quite) be like getting a backup battery and charger at no extra
> cost. And the quality of the images it produces from its fast
> f/2.0-3.0 lens is much better than what the A95 can do. I don't
> know if it can do videos as a magazine review I'm looking at doesn't
> mention of it. But it concludes that "the G6 is a great second
> camera for pros that don't want to carry an SLR around with them"

Not so sure about manual controls on the Coolpix 7900. The G6 is
definitely nice but its 167gms heavier (you checked the weight without
batteries) and $185 over my budget :)

- Siddhartha
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 9:59:46 AM

Siddhartha Jain wrote:
> Hi,
>
> >From the thread "Hamstrung by a dSLR", I concluded that its a good idea
> to acquire a P&S for using when I don't want to lug around the Canon
> 300D. Now the obvious question is which one. I don't want to spend too
> much on a super-sleek/small, mega mega pixel and the latest P&S out
> there. My wish list in the order of priority is:
> 1) Priced somewhere around $300
> 2) Atleast 5MP so if capture a real good one, I can atleast put it up
> in 8x10
> 3) Good high-ISO performance
> 4) Good low-light AF
> 5) light-weight (around 300 gms)
> 6) An all manual option where I can set Aperture and Shutter
> 7) 3x-6x optical zoom
> 8) Preferably uses CF cards so I can share them between the P&S and the
> 300D
> 9) Video with audio at 640x480 30fps would be a nice addition
> 10) Good macro capability
>
> I narrowed it down to three cameras, the Canon A95, Nikon Coolpix 7900
> and Panasonic LZ2. But got good and bad points against each one of
> them.

For a start, worry *not* about the type of memory the camera uses -
they're cheap enough to just leave in the camera and forget now. Get
them from ebay.

The Fuji f10 excels at those photographic points above such as low
noise and low-light AF, but it has no manual settings for aperture and
shutter except scene modes that in most situations would suffice. Then
there is the Fuji f810 which is - in my opinion - currently the queen
of the compacts and was lately chosen along with the top of the line
canon dSLR (the 16mp) for professionals commisioned by a BBC program
series. The fuji e550 has good high iso performance but lacks low-light
AF assist light.

No other compact cameras on the market have a high-iso performance
worthy of mention.

> Canon A95
> =========
> Fits the bill perfectly except for high-ISO performance (as dpreview
> reports). And I don't want to trade-off the first five in the wish
> list.
>
> Nikon Coolpix 7900
> ==================
> Again, fits very well except for AF issues especially in low-light :(
>
> Panasonic LZ2
> =============
> Lots of nice features like image stabilisation and a 6x optical zoom.
> Downsides are that low-light AF is poor, high-ISO performance is poor,
> it has a plastic body as against the metal ones of the former two, has
> no viewfinder (optical or EVF) and video is only 320 x 240 at 10fps.
>
> Also, the Canon and the Nikon have a 1/1.8" sensor while the Panasonic
> has a 1/2.5" sensor.
>
> So whats your opinion?
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Siddhartha
July 5, 2005 10:00:31 AM

On 5 Jul 2005 00:59:34 -0700, Siddhartha Jain wrote:

> So whats your opinion?

The Coolpix 7900 has manual exposure controls? If it does I've
probably mis-recalled a recent message here. If you already have a
Canon external flash for your 300D, and if the G6 can benefit from
some of its 'smart' features, it might be worth spending some more
money than you originally planned by getting a G6 instead of the
A95. It's lightweight, but 80 gms above the 300 in your wish list.
It uses Canon's BP-511A, which is probably also used in the 300D (I
know that it is used in the 20D), so getting a G6 would almost (not
quite) be like getting a backup battery and charger at no extra
cost. And the quality of the images it produces from its fast
f/2.0-3.0 lens is much better than what the A95 can do. I don't
know if it can do videos as a magazine review I'm looking at doesn't
mention of it. But it concludes that "the G6 is a great second
camera for pros that don't want to carry an SLR around with them"
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 10:47:36 AM

Mike Henley wrote:
> Siddhartha Jain wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > >From the thread "Hamstrung by a dSLR", I concluded that its a good idea
> > to acquire a P&S for using when I don't want to lug around the Canon
> > 300D. Now the obvious question is which one. I don't want to spend too
> > much on a super-sleek/small, mega mega pixel and the latest P&S out
> > there. My wish list in the order of priority is:
> > 1) Priced somewhere around $300
> > 2) Atleast 5MP so if capture a real good one, I can atleast put it up
> > in 8x10
> > 3) Good high-ISO performance
> > 4) Good low-light AF
> > 5) light-weight (around 300 gms)
> > 6) An all manual option where I can set Aperture and Shutter
> > 7) 3x-6x optical zoom
> > 8) Preferably uses CF cards so I can share them between the P&S and the
> > 300D
> > 9) Video with audio at 640x480 30fps would be a nice addition
> > 10) Good macro capability
> >
> > I narrowed it down to three cameras, the Canon A95, Nikon Coolpix 7900
> > and Panasonic LZ2. But got good and bad points against each one of
> > them.
>
> For a start, worry *not* about the type of memory the camera uses -
> they're cheap enough to just leave in the camera and forget now. Get
> them from ebay.
>
> The Fuji f10 excels at those photographic points above such as low
> noise and low-light AF, but it has no manual settings for aperture and
> shutter except scene modes that in most situations would suffice. Then
> there is the Fuji f810 which is - in my opinion - currently the queen
> of the compacts and was lately chosen along with the top of the line
> canon dSLR (the 16mp) for professionals commisioned by a BBC program
> series. The fuji e550 has good high iso performance but lacks low-light
> AF assist light.
>
> No other compact cameras on the market have a high-iso performance
> worthy of mention.

Thanks Mike :)  This one looks a sure winner. Given what dpreview says
about this camera is true and the $340 price tag (from dell), I think I
can easily overlook the lack of EVF/optical viewfinder, lack of manual
controls and the xD card storage.

- Siddhartha
July 5, 2005 11:46:45 AM

> >>From the thread "Hamstrung by a dSLR", I concluded that its a good idea
> > to acquire a P&S for using when I don't want to lug around the Canon
> > 300D.

I recently decided to sell my 300D AND my G3 which I had bought as
backup and upgrade that to a G6.After a lot of research I decided that
the G6 was as good as any compact available,in fact better than most -
and possibly the VERY best: review after review praises the G6 ;
DPReview and Steves Digicams to name only two.

I took this action because whenever I wanted a camera to use I
instinctively went for the G3.

I sold the 300D for a very good price on Ebay(UK) which more than paid
for the G6!

Denis Boisclair
Cheshire, UK
July 5, 2005 11:47:15 AM

> >>From the thread "Hamstrung by a dSLR", I concluded that its a good idea
> > to acquire a P&S for using when I don't want to lug around the Canon
> > 300D.

I recently decided to sell my 300D AND my G3 which I had bought as
backup and upgrade that to a G6.After a lot of research I decided that
the G6 was as good as any compact available,in fact better than most -
and possibly the VERY best: review after review praises the G6 ;
DPReview and Steves Digicams to name only two.

I took this action because whenever I wanted a camera to use I
instinctively went for the G3.

I sold the 300D for a very good price on Ebay(UK) which more than paid
for the G6!

Denis Boisclair
Cheshire, UK
July 5, 2005 11:47:21 AM

> >>From the thread "Hamstrung by a dSLR", I concluded that its a good idea
> > to acquire a P&S for using when I don't want to lug around the Canon
> > 300D.

I recently decided to sell my 300D AND my G3 which I had bought as
backup and upgrade that to a G6.After a lot of research I decided that
the G6 was as good as any compact available,in fact better than most -
and possibly the VERY best: review after review praises the G6 ;
DPReview and Steves Digicams to name only two.

I took this action because whenever I wanted a camera to use I
instinctively went for the G3.

I sold the 300D for a very good price on Ebay(UK) which more than paid
for the G6!

Denis Boisclair
Cheshire, UK
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 2:08:07 PM

I did this same evaluation last February. What you are going to find is
that no P&S has all the things you referenced. You need to prioritize
the features that are most important to you and then find a camera that
has most of the ones that are on the top of your list. If low-light,
high ISO capability is most important than the Fuji F10 is really the
only camera out right now that offers high ISO with acceptable noise
levels. I have a Sony P200 and it meets all your criteria except for
high ISO and CF memory cards. The memory issue is really something I
wouldn't worry about. Most all P&S use something other than CF these
days and the price between memory types is negligable. In addition, the
P200 also offers manual focus presets which is useful when shooting at a
known distance. This eliminates shutter lag and allows you to take a
picture immediately which is good for shots of pets, kids etc. Other
good features of the P200 is it syncs the flash up to 1/1,000th second
shutter speed and has a maximum exposure time of 30 seconds. This
provides noce flexibility for getting high speed flash shots within the
flash's range or low-light, low ISO night shots on a tripod. The P200
also has excellent low-light autofocus ability.

One other camera I recommend considering is the upcoming Olympus Stylus
800. It as an 8mp P&S that has many interesting features including high
ISO settings up to 1600. It also has an LCD screen that is easily
visible in the brightest sunlight. Here's a link to the website for it:

http://tinyurl.com/9v3ja

Siddhartha Jain wrote:
> Hi,
>
>>From the thread "Hamstrung by a dSLR", I concluded that its a good idea
> to acquire a P&S for using when I don't want to lug around the Canon
> 300D. Now the obvious question is which one. I don't want to spend too
> much on a super-sleek/small, mega mega pixel and the latest P&S out
> there. My wish list in the order of priority is:
> 1) Priced somewhere around $300
> 2) Atleast 5MP so if capture a real good one, I can atleast put it up
> in 8x10
> 3) Good high-ISO performance
> 4) Good low-light AF
> 5) light-weight (around 300 gms)
> 6) An all manual option where I can set Aperture and Shutter
> 7) 3x-6x optical zoom
> 8) Preferably uses CF cards so I can share them between the P&S and the
> 300D
> 9) Video with audio at 640x480 30fps would be a nice addition
> 10) Good macro capability
>
> I narrowed it down to three cameras, the Canon A95, Nikon Coolpix 7900
> and Panasonic LZ2. But got good and bad points against each one of
> them.
>
> Canon A95
> =========
> Fits the bill perfectly except for high-ISO performance (as dpreview
> reports). And I don't want to trade-off the first five in the wish
> list.
>
> Nikon Coolpix 7900
> ==================
> Again, fits very well except for AF issues especially in low-light :(
>
> Panasonic LZ2
> =============
> Lots of nice features like image stabilisation and a 6x optical zoom.
> Downsides are that low-light AF is poor, high-ISO performance is poor,
> it has a plastic body as against the metal ones of the former two, has
> no viewfinder (optical or EVF) and video is only 320 x 240 at 10fps.
>
> Also, the Canon and the Nikon have a 1/1.8" sensor while the Panasonic
> has a 1/2.5" sensor.
>
> So whats your opinion?
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Siddhartha

July 5, 2005 2:54:23 PM

This is why I got a G6, same batteries, same type of storage, the
possibility of adding an external flash. A G6 with the 220EX flash is a
great combo. None of the small sensored P&S will give good low light
performance at high ISO settings, the G6 is no different but with a decent
flash it does as well as a DSLR. Altough I carry my DSLR most of the time,
I can get by in a much smaller package with my G6 and the 220EX flash.

Jean

"ASAAR" <caught@22.com> a écrit dans le message de
> On 5 Jul 2005 00:59:34 -0700, Siddhartha Jain wrote:
>
> > So whats your opinion?
>
> The Coolpix 7900 has manual exposure controls? If it does I've
> probably mis-recalled a recent message here. If you already have a
> Canon external flash for your 300D, and if the G6 can benefit from
> some of its 'smart' features, it might be worth spending some more
> money than you originally planned by getting a G6 instead of the
> A95. It's lightweight, but 80 gms above the 300 in your wish list.
> It uses Canon's BP-511A, which is probably also used in the 300D (I
> know that it is used in the 20D), so getting a G6 would almost (not
> quite) be like getting a backup battery and charger at no extra
> cost. And the quality of the images it produces from its fast
> f/2.0-3.0 lens is much better than what the A95 can do. I don't
> know if it can do videos as a magazine review I'm looking at doesn't
> mention of it. But it concludes that "the G6 is a great second
> camera for pros that don't want to carry an SLR around with them"

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 4:55:18 PM

"Siddhartha Jain" <losttoy@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
>>From the thread "Hamstrung by a dSLR", I concluded that its a good idea
> to acquire a P&S for using when I don't want to lug around the Canon
> 300D. Now the obvious question is which one. I don't want to spend too
> much on a super-sleek/small, mega mega pixel and the latest P&S out
> there. My wish list in the order of priority is:
> 1) Priced somewhere around $300
> 2) Atleast 5MP so if capture a real good one, I can atleast put it up
> in 8x10
> 3) Good high-ISO performance
> 4) Good low-light AF
> 5) light-weight (around 300 gms)
> 6) An all manual option where I can set Aperture and Shutter
> 7) 3x-6x optical zoom
> 8) Preferably uses CF cards so I can share them between the P&S and the
> 300D
> 9) Video with audio at 640x480 30fps would be a nice addition
> 10) Good macro capability
>
> I narrowed it down to three cameras, the Canon A95, Nikon Coolpix 7900
> and Panasonic LZ2. But got good and bad points against each one of
> them.
>
> Canon A95
> =========
> Fits the bill perfectly except for high-ISO performance (as dpreview
> reports). And I don't want to trade-off the first five in the wish
> list.

If you absolutely will not trade off high-ISO performance, that is *really*
going to leave you with a short list as far as compact cameras are
concerned. As you say, the A95 fits the bill for you in other respects. I
don't know about the video, never having used it in my A95. Not very
pocketable, and the plastic body is somewhat of a turn-off for me (I don't
so much mind plastic, but eventually the silver paint will probably start to
rub off and that makes for an ugly-looking camera). But that swiveling LCD
is a wonderful feature, especially in a camera at such a low price.

> Nikon Coolpix 7900
> ==================
> Again, fits very well except for AF issues especially in low-light :(

And it uses SD cards. Doesn't have manual settings for aperture and/or
shutter speed, which for this kind of camera is all right with me. It has
some interesting scene modes and unique, useful features like Best Shot
Selector and 5-shot buffer. I have the 5900 (essentially same camera but 5
Mp) and love it. It does have AF problems in *really* low light, especially
at longer f.l., but this hasn't been a real-world problem for me. I can only
make the AF problems appear by deliberating seeking out the darkest parts of
my apartment at night, which I really am not interested in taking pictures
of anyway.

N.
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 6:02:45 PM

On 5 Jul 2005 04:06:15 -0700, Siddhartha Jain wrote:

> Not so sure about manual controls on the Coolpix 7900. The G6 is
> definitely nice but its 167gms heavier (you checked the weight without
> batteries) and $185 over my budget :)

Mere grams. Compared to DSLRs, both the G6 and the A95 should
seem almost weightless. But the other cameras you're interested in
are definitely more compact and more easily carried in a pocket.

But as I was trying to imply, unlike other battery types lithium
rechargeables age, whether you use them or not, and their capacity
is considerably diminished after 2 to 3 years. If you recently got
either the 300D or one or more batteries for it, you'd probably have
no need for another battery. But if that's not the case, and
another battery would be useful or you might soon need to get a
replacement, you could reasonably deduct the cost from the budget
busting $185. :)  And have you actually used one of the small P&S
cameras for more than a few short tests? The quality of their
pictures may be more than adequate, but after being used to the 300D
you might be frustrated by their poorer performance (response times,
focusing accuracy, especially in low light, etc.). Actually, I also
appreciate the value of a good, small camera and might have gotten
an A95 but for one thing. It was too large! :)
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 6:28:10 PM

denis@boisclair.freeserve.co.uk wrote:

>>>to acquire a P&S for using when I don't want to lug around the Canon
>>>300D.
>

> I recently decided to sell my 300D AND my G3 which I had bought as
> backup and upgrade that to a G6.After a lot of research I decided that
> the G6 was as good as any compact available,in fact better than most -
> and possibly the VERY best: review after review praises the G6 ;
> DPReview and Steves Digicams to name only two.
>
> I took this action because whenever I wanted a camera to use I
> instinctively went for the G3.
>
> I sold the 300D for a very good price on Ebay(UK) which more than paid
> for the G6!

My main criteria for a P&S was it had to be small enough to easily fit
in a pant pocket. Something I could carry anywhere as easily as a cell
phone. The P200 was that small and had some great features too. For me
a G6, while a great camera, would not have been small enough.
July 5, 2005 9:04:58 PM

> On 5 Jul 2005 04:06:15 -0700, Siddhartha Jain wrote:
>
> > Not so sure about manual controls on the Coolpix 7900. The G6 is
> > definitely nice but its 167gms heavier (you checked the weight without
> > batteries) and $185 over my budget :)
>
> Mere grams. Compared to DSLRs, both the G6 and the A95 should
> seem almost weightless. But the other cameras you're interested in
> are definitely more compact and more easily carried in a pocket.
>
> But as I was trying to imply, unlike other battery types lithium
> rechargeables age, whether you use them or not, and their capacity
> is considerably diminished after 2 to 3 years. If you recently got
> either the 300D or one or more batteries for it, you'd probably have
> no need for another battery. But if that's not the case, and
> another battery would be useful or you might soon need to get a
> replacement, you could reasonably deduct the cost from the budget
> busting $185. :)  And have you actually used one of the small P&S
> cameras for more than a few short tests? The quality of their
> pictures may be more than adequate, but after being used to the 300D
> you might be frustrated by their poorer performance (response times,
> focusing accuracy, especially in low light, etc.). Actually, I also
> appreciate the value of a good, small camera and might have gotten
> an A95 but for one thing. It was too large! :)

You are right, an A95 is too large and the G6 is even a bit larger BUT the
image quality is well above the smaller P&S. I had an S400 which I carried
all the time, I was always disappointed with it's performance. My G6 even
if it is bigger has a much better image quality, all the manual controls I
wanted AND it can accept an external flash. The last point is critical if
you want good pictures indoors.

Jean
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 10:01:09 PM

Siddhartha Jain wrote:
> Mike Henley wrote:
>
>>Siddhartha Jain wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,

>>>to acquire a P&S for using when I don't want to lug around the Canon
>>>300D. Now the obvious question is which one. I don't want to spend too
>>>much on a super-sleek/small, mega mega pixel and the latest P&S out
>>>there. My wish list in the order of priority is:
>>>1) Priced somewhere around $300
>>>2) Atleast 5MP so if capture a real good one, I can atleast put it up
>>>in 8x10
>>>3) Good high-ISO performance
>>>4) Good low-light AF
>>>5) light-weight (around 300 gms)
>>>6) An all manual option where I can set Aperture and Shutter
>>>7) 3x-6x optical zoom
>>>8) Preferably uses CF cards so I can share them between the P&S and the
>>>300D
>>>9) Video with audio at 640x480 30fps would be a nice addition
>>>10) Good macro capability
>>>
>>>I narrowed it down to three cameras, the Canon A95, Nikon Coolpix 7900
>>>and Panasonic LZ2. But got good and bad points against each one of
>>>them.
>>
>>For a start, worry *not* about the type of memory the camera uses -
>>they're cheap enough to just leave in the camera and forget now. Get
>>them from ebay.
>>
>>The Fuji f10 excels at those photographic points above such as low
>>noise and low-light AF, but it has no manual settings for aperture and
>>shutter except scene modes that in most situations would suffice. Then
>>there is the Fuji f810 which is - in my opinion - currently the queen
>>of the compacts and was lately chosen along with the top of the line
>>canon dSLR (the 16mp) for professionals commisioned by a BBC program
>>series. The fuji e550 has good high iso performance but lacks low-light
>>AF assist light.
>>
>>No other compact cameras on the market have a high-iso performance
>>worthy of mention.
>

> Thanks Mike :)  This one looks a sure winner. Given what dpreview says
> about this camera is true and the $340 price tag (from dell), I think I
> can easily overlook the lack of EVF/optical viewfinder, lack of manual
> controls and the xD card storage.
>
> - Siddhartha

Yes, I agree that the Fuji F10 would be a good supplemental camera. It
doesn't compete with 300D. The price and size are good. IS and telezoom
would add unnecessary bulk and cost. You'd encounter more situation that
need high ISO in casual snapshots so something like a large G6 doesn't
make much sense when you already have the 300D. Dave
(imaging-resource.com) recommends the F10 for novices and 2nd camera
owners. No manual control isn't a problem at all for this types of
snapshot cameras, in my opinion.
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 12:53:36 AM

> Lots of nice features like image stabilisation and a 6x optical zoom.
> Downsides are that low-light AF is poor, high-ISO performance is poor,
> it has a plastic body as against the metal ones of the former two, has
> no viewfinder (optical or EVF) and video is only 320 x 240 at 10fps.
>
> Also, the Canon and the Nikon have a 1/1.8" sensor while the Panasonic
> has a 1/2.5" sensor.
>
> So whats your opinion?
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Siddhartha

Personally I use a Sony V1, many advantages but the best is the ability to
take good shots under extreme lighting conditions, the laser focusing is
amazing and it does most things on your list except CF cards and I find I
get by with a 256Mb card and a couple of spare batteries gives me lots of
shooting.
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 11:44:21 AM

Siddhartha Jain wrote:

Monster snip!

> Panasonic LZ2
> =============
> Lots of nice features like image stabilisation and a 6x optical zoom.
> Downsides are that low-light AF is poor, high-ISO performance is poor,
> it has a plastic body as against the metal ones of the former two, has
> no viewfinder (optical or EVF) and video is only 320 x 240 at 10fps.
>
> Also, the Canon and the Nikon have a 1/1.8" sensor while the Panasonic
> has a 1/2.5" sensor.
>
> So whats your opinion?

I don't have much to offer in the way of an opinion however... I
recently bought a FZ20 Panasonic and my wife owns a Olympus C760.

A point I would like to address is the Image Stablization and Hi ISO
performance of Panasonic's in general. I have satisfied myself that
these "poor Hi ISO" reports are mostly a trivial complaint.
http://www.technoaussie.com/gallery/FZ20-Pics
Demonstrates that in very low (ambient) light, it is possible to achieve
good pictures at ISO 200 and ultra low shutter speeds whilst hand
holding one of these cameras.

Pictures which a DSLR would simply not achieve under the same
conditions. My 20D (without an IS lens) would need ISO 800 and 1/60th
minimum shutter speed to even consider taking such shots.

The other thing I would like to say is about the lenses used in P&S
cameras and the Chromatic Aberrations they cause. This is not an
insignificant subject. I have seen many photographs taken with Olympus
(P&S) cameras which have unacceptable CA in places where it should not
be. I cannot decide if this is the Kodak sensor or the plastic lens.
Otherwise, I think the little Oly of my Wife's is a better all round
camera than the Panasonic FZ20. Shutter lag is the killer of all digicam's.

The only advise I can offer is buy one which has minimal shutter lag and
a decent viewfinder or... Get comfortable with the idea of driving it
like a TV camera - from the monitor screen!

Douglas
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 12:31:43 AM

Stay away from Fuji .. I have had very bad luck with E550 (lense got
stuck midway) and later found this was very common on Fuji and somewhat
Canon P&S cameras.

I've tried a lot of them and ended up with Sony W1. Quality of pictures
in Full Auto mode is awful (soft, almost out-of-focus appearance) but
with some manual settings produces very decent pics, comparable to
E550. Also very quick and extremely sturdy, with aluminum body (I
dropped it from 4 ft and not a scratch). Great ergonomics. Plus huge
2.5" LCD.

I also looked at Canon A95, but it was too slow, too expensive (~$70
over Sony back in March), and the possibility of lense problem finally
scared me away.
!