Sign in with
Your question

Very strange problem, need help please

Last response: in Systems
May 13, 2012 1:03:45 AM

hey guys, so yesterday I bought a new motherboard (Asus p8Z77-V), new CPU (i5 3570k) and a new 120gb ssd (ocz vertex 3).

Everything had been running fine, with the exception of the ssd not always being recognised instantly off startup (little red boot device led would light up). But I was playing crysis and wanted to change my GPU settings a little so I increased the memory clock by 50. I started a game up and it instantly black screened with a loud noise coming from speakers.

After restarting the system, it basically froze on my desktop everytime. Not a complete freeze that I would have to retart, I mean like it would be so extremely slow it was almost frozen everytime I clicked something. I restarted once or twice more and it downloaded drivers randomly for my 1tb hard drive. then it seemed to speed up a little bit.

Another thing that would happen is when I click the power button to start up, it will power up then shut off, then power on again. I reset cmos and it seemed to fix the issue, except the problem is that when my motherboard doesn't instantly recognise the boot device it will bring me to a black screen that says click f1 to select boot device. I then have to manually select the SSD and it works. To avoid doing this, I de-selected the option to have to click f1 if an error occurs, instead I wait a secnd or two for the system to recognise it and then it starts automatically. Upon de-selecting the f1 option it did the start, restart, and start again. Does this mean my ssd is faulty ? or can I just re-download windows to it ? But why would an ssd cause the system to restart like that ?

Any help is much appreciated as I am starting to get frustrated

More about : strange problem

May 13, 2012 1:05:52 AM

Just did a disk check on my SSD no errors came up....
m
l
May 13, 2012 1:23:43 AM

Try removing your GPU and connect the monitor to your motherboard's onboard video.

headlesszombie said:
But I was playing crysis and wanted to change my GPU settings a little so I increased the memory clock by 50.

Sure you know what you're doing?
m
l
Related resources
May 13, 2012 1:40:57 AM

pdxalex said:
Try removing your GPU and connect the monitor to your motherboard's onboard video.

Sure you know what you're doing?

I've had a completely stable overclock at stock voltage for a month now. I just wanted to see what would happen if I increased memory clock a bit instead of core clock.. This doesn't seem like a GPU issue.
m
l
May 13, 2012 1:45:11 AM

ran prime 95, ran occt no issues...

I think it may be the motherboard..
m
l
May 13, 2012 1:50:55 AM

headlesszombie said:
This doesn't seem like a GPU issue.

Well... the last thing you did was dink around with it in bios and "I just wanted to see what would happen" doesn't sound very convincing ;) 

Heck, it takes two minutes to power down, remove GPU and swap connections, reboot. At least it would rule it out

*shrug*
m
l
May 13, 2012 1:59:23 AM

pdxalex said:
Well... the last thing you did was dink around with it in bios and "I just wanted to see what would happen" doesn't sound very convincing ;) 

Heck, it takes two minutes to power down, remove GPU and swap connections, reboot. At least it would rule it out

*shrug*

I will try but I highly doubt it will make a difference. Everything was actually running normally, until I changed a simple setting in the bios. Now it crashes again every time...
m
l
May 13, 2012 2:03:55 AM

Ok well I am eating my words... Tried a new pci slot and it actually did turn on normally. But is still extremely slow/almost at the point of freezing when it starts up.

Honestly I think it may just be luck of the draw when it comes to if it starts up normally or not.
m
l
May 13, 2012 2:06:07 AM

is there some sort of program to test if it is the motherboard ?

second attempt starting up with the gpu in a different PCI slot turned on completely normally.
m
l
May 13, 2012 2:25:50 AM

alright now it's not shutting down, but it sometimes goes extremely slow on the desktop again. I am also noticing a longer delay when the screen actually displays the motherboard logo.

Really don't know if this is my mobo, gpu, ssd, psu I just don't know. Any advice right now would be really really great....
m
l
May 13, 2012 2:38:42 AM

headlesszombie said:
Really don't know if this is my mobo, gpu, ssd, psu I just don't know.

Groovy. Now remove the bloody GPU and connect your $#&@*% monitor to the motherboard lol

Process of elimination. It's the easiest thing on your list to rule out, and it's just happens to be the last thing you messed with.
m
l
May 13, 2012 2:41:18 AM

pdxalex said:
Groovy. Now remove the bloody GPU and connect your $#&@*% monitor to the motherboard lol

Process of elimination. It's the easiest thing on your list to rule out, and it's just happens to be the last thing you messed with.

alright testing it out now
m
l
May 13, 2012 2:42:34 AM

headlesszombie said:
and do what without the gpu ?

Hide it under your bed.

It doesn't matter right now.
m
l
May 13, 2012 2:46:12 AM

alright well good thinking on that one, can rule out the gpu. Started normally, but upon desktop loading up it gets extremely slow once again. Also noticed it is not recognising my speakers anymore. All signs pointing to mobo. But what other things can I test out ?
m
l
May 13, 2012 2:49:22 AM

can't thank you enough for all your help so far I was pulling my hair out stressed out beyond belief but I am glad at least it is not the gpu or I would have to RMA it
m
l
May 13, 2012 2:50:12 AM

RAM... I think you can boot with just one stick installed. Give it a try, and if it doesn't change anything, power down and swap that stick with a different one and reboot again.
m
l
May 13, 2012 2:57:54 AM

tried both sticks separately in two different slots too, same deal
m
l
May 13, 2012 3:02:39 AM

Mmmm... you said you reset bios, did you switch SATA back to AHCI again?
m
l
May 13, 2012 3:06:40 AM

pdxalex said:
Mmmm... you said you reset bios, did you switch SATA back to AHCI again?

at stock it was set to ahci

is there any way to test if it's the ssd or cpu ? It's definitely not the PSU because that wouldn't stall windows from loading up.
m
l
May 13, 2012 3:09:05 AM

I am pretty sure it is the motherboard though. It stalls starting up because the asus logo takes forever to come up. I'm thinking it freezes up because it loses communication with the ssd would be my guess.
m
l
May 13, 2012 3:17:33 AM

Well, you could try ruling out your SSD by swapping it with your HDD. In a healthy system this would obviously slow things down a bit but your problems appear to reach far beyond that.

It's odd you're no longer getting audio. Everything still seated properly and jacks still plugged in after removing GPU?

As for the CPU, I don't know, really. I wish someone else would chime in because there are a lot of people here with far more knowledge.
m
l
May 13, 2012 3:23:12 AM

I suppose you could unplug your SSD and see how long it takes to get into bios.
m
l
May 13, 2012 3:24:58 AM

pdxalex said:
Well, you could try ruling out your SSD by swapping it with your HDD. In a healthy system this would obviously slow things down a bit but your problems appear to reach far beyond that.

It's odd you're no longer getting audio. Everything still seated properly and jacks still plugged in after removing GPU?

As for the CPU, I don't know, really. I wish someone else would chime in because there are a lot of people here with far more knowledge.

but how will it start up without windows installed onto my HDD ?

Now I can't even get it to load up, just freezes everytime windows starts :( 

well you seem to know a lot I'll tell you that much
m
l
May 13, 2012 3:28:51 AM

resetting cmos not even working anymore, constant freeze as soon as dekstop starts up...
m
l
May 13, 2012 3:32:04 AM

Not really... particularly not with these troubleshooting issues. I've never had any major hardware problems.

With regards to the HDD, you'd have to install Windows on it.

You could also try swapping SATA cables or connecting your SSD to another SATA controller.
m
l
May 13, 2012 3:32:10 AM

can i start up a cpu that doesnt have a fan or will that kill it ?

I kinda want to try my ssd on my other cpu + mobo, but it does not have a heatsink installed.
m
l
May 13, 2012 3:40:18 AM

trying your ssd on another computer would be a good idea (lets you see if the ssd is at fault) but not having a heatsink installed is not a good idea. I don't think it would let you boot into windows. i think it is because the motherboard would freak out because it does not detect a cpu fan
m
l
May 13, 2012 3:41:29 AM

You could still try just unplugging your SSD and HDD, and see how that affects your boot. You should still be able to enter bios.
m
l
May 13, 2012 3:43:09 AM

if you have any old laptops lying around you could pop your ssd into theirs. or borrow a friends laptop/computer. there is a good chance your ssd will fit into those. If not then you will just have to install windows onto a hdd if you have one (you dont have to activate it just install and boot into it.)
m
l
May 13, 2012 3:43:18 AM

dane332 said:
trying your ssd on another computer would be a good idea (lets you see if the ssd is at fault) but not having a heatsink installed is not a good idea. I don't think it would let you boot into windows. i think it is because the motherboard would freak out because it does not detect a cpu fan

Ya i googled it bad idea :p 

I have no other computer to try it on other then laptop and I really dont want to disassemble it.

if my ssd did have an issue, would it be shutting down the system though ?

I am just really confused why this all started happening after I increased the memory clock on my gpu :S it doesnt make any sense

If you were in my shoes right now, what would you do ? I have 15 day direct replacement, should I just go tomorrow and replace the motherboard ? or try to test the cpu/ssd somehow
m
l
May 13, 2012 3:44:01 AM

dane332 said:
if you have any old laptops lying around you could pop your ssd into theirs. or borrow a friends laptop/computer. there is a good chance your ssd will fit into those. If not then you will just have to install windows onto a hdd if you have one (you dont have to activate it just install and boot into it.)

I never work with laptops I have no idea how to even open it up haha
m
l
May 13, 2012 3:46:56 AM

EDIT: just tried changing the drivers. So far it started up normally :o 
m
l
May 13, 2012 3:49:40 AM

headlesszombie said:
If you were in my shoes right now, what would you do ?

Unplug SSD, plug in HDD, and boot from Win7 install disc. If it even gets that far, let it reinstall Windows.

If anything, at least it would rule out or point to SSD problem.
m
l
May 13, 2012 3:49:59 AM

eh? Which drivers?
m
l
May 13, 2012 3:51:47 AM

yea if it is the ssd then it could lead into problems similar to yours (crashes , general sluggishness, not being able to boot)

if you flip your laptop over and look at the bottom, you should see various screw holes and small sections that look like it can be removed with by removing those screw holes(if you have a standard 15.6 or 14 in laptop) you can youtube how to remove your hard drive via youtube.

also are you able to boot into the bios like pdxalex said?
m
l
May 13, 2012 3:52:07 AM

pdxalex said:
eh? Which drivers?

I installed the ones from the disk. I had manually downloaded all of the newest ones off their website, but are there additional drivers on the disk as well ?

only weird thing is the asus logo came up twice on startup
m
l
May 13, 2012 3:52:37 AM

yes really which drivers
m
l
May 13, 2012 3:53:10 AM

well if it works it works i guess
m
l
May 13, 2012 3:54:01 AM

so no more sluggishness? rough starts? everything seems fine?

m
l
May 13, 2012 3:54:52 AM

hopefully not just temporarily
m
l
May 13, 2012 3:57:47 AM

well, ok

a few things to check off the list for keeps your ssd healthy is making sure

disk defragmentation is not on
trim is enabled
and the disk is properly aligned
and finally making sure drivers and a sdd firmware is properly updated
m
l
May 13, 2012 4:02:56 AM

It got really quiet, lol... not sure if that's a good or bad thing. Maybe we should call the fire department.
m
l
May 13, 2012 4:17:33 AM

lol i'm feeling a bit uneasy about this as well
m
l
May 13, 2012 4:25:42 AM

dane332 said:
well, ok

a few things to check off the list for keeps your ssd healthy is making sure

disk defragmentation is not on
trim is enabled
and the disk is properly aligned
and finally making sure drivers and a sdd firmware is properly updated

how do I turn off defragmentation and trim on ?

I looked for drivers but there doesn't seem to be any unless you're having issues.

and LOL guys it's going OK I'll say that. It starts up normal. But a few weird things. Firstly asus logo pops up qwuickly a second time when I first start up, my ssd seems very slightly slower to load windows. Maybe only by a second or two but I can tell because usually the windows logo doesn't even come up.

the biggest issue is; still no sound !!! I have tried everything, gone through all my device settings and set it as default. IT seems to be recognising it, but no sound at all!?
m
l
May 13, 2012 4:31:28 AM

lets go with the sound first.

what is your set up for sound? regular 2.0 speakers connected to motherboard sound?

sound over hdmi to your display?

(i'm not too worried about asus logo lowest on list of concerns)

i assume you have your sound drivers properly installed so go to

control panel>> hardware and sound >> sound

and make sure your speakers or what ever you are using is your default device

m
l
May 13, 2012 4:34:05 AM

as for disk defragmentation

start button >> accessories >> system tools >> disk defragmenter
and if the window says disk defragging is scheduled for your ssd turn that off

defragmenting your ssd shortens it's lifespan
m
l
May 13, 2012 4:52:33 AM

dane332 said:
lets go with the sound first.

what is your set up for sound? regular 2.0 speakers connected to motherboard sound?

sound over hdmi to your display?

(i'm not too worried about asus logo lowest on list of concerns)

i assume you have your sound drivers properly installed so go to

control panel>> hardware and sound >> sound

and make sure your speakers or what ever you are using is your default device

I believe it is 2.0, whatever the single audio jack speakers are considered. I have them as the default device and the volume level jumps up and down when I play a video, but no sound is produced.

it was all working today before all this crap happened
m
l
May 13, 2012 4:53:54 AM

dane332 said:
as for disk defragmentation

start button >> accessories >> system tools >> disk defragmenter
and if the window says disk defragging is scheduled for your ssd turn that off

defragmenting your ssd shortens it's lifespan

it says "never run" so I'm guessing that I'm good :) 
m
l
May 13, 2012 5:00:05 AM

headlesszombie said:
it says "never run" so I'm guessing that I'm good :) 

Sort of. You want to set it so it doesn't run in the future either.

As per volume, check again to ensure you didn't accidentally unplug the jack in the rear while yanking out the GPU and plugging monitor into motherboard.
m
l
May 13, 2012 5:02:19 AM

OH NO its acting up again !! :@

when I scrolled my mouse over the taskbar, it froze up again. You've got to be kidding me !!! but then I restarted and worked ..... I don't know what to do.

also, gpu is plugged in not motherboard. also went to bios to make sure sound was enabled :s
m
l
!