Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New build cant install OS

Last response: in Systems
May 13, 2012 1:10:41 AM

Here are the parts I ordered http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8973

I don't get a POST beep but the system does go into BIOS. I am attempting to install Win7 and keep getting a BSOD at various points. The farthest I have gotten is after expanding all the files and then it went into update and crashed.

Any help? Or is there any more information I could post to make it easier to debug?

Thanks!!

More about : build install

May 13, 2012 1:35:44 AM

I actually used those already. Is there an issue when I don't hear a POST beep but still boot to BIOS and can get an OS to start installiing from the optical drive?
m
l
Related resources
May 13, 2012 2:28:58 PM

Tried to install Vista to rule out my Win7 disk. I have the same problem with that disk too. Could it be my Liteon DVD? I am going to try to put Win7 on a bootable USB.
m
l
May 13, 2012 2:56:42 PM

it could be the drive, I'd also try swaping out the cable. (maybe even the port its hooked to.)
m
l
May 13, 2012 3:03:18 PM

I did try installing Win7 to a different HD but got the same error. I also tried swapping the SATA cables. There is always a chance I got a bad combo because I just swapped between the 3 I had in hand and had to use 2 at a time.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 13, 2012 3:12:36 PM

Check your memory settings in bios according to the sticker on your dimms.
m
l
May 13, 2012 3:53:28 PM

geekapproved said:
Check your memory settings in bios according to the sticker on your dimms.

What am I looking for here? Nothing stands out that I can change.
m
l
May 13, 2012 6:30:35 PM

Swapped out all SATA cables so ruled those out unless I have 3 pairs all bad.
m
l
May 13, 2012 10:58:19 PM

Put Win7 on bootable USB...same problem. I get to expanding files and it finally goes to BSOD about half way through.

Frustrating!!!
m
l
May 14, 2012 1:48:56 AM

Pulled MB out of case to do breadboarding checks. Only hooked up DVD and HDD. Tried Win7 install again and BSOD about same point.

Figured out there is no speaker in my case so that's why I am getting no POST beeps.
m
l
May 14, 2012 4:40:23 AM

there will be a place for memory timings, in the bios. its beginning to sound like either the memory timings are off, or theres a bad stick. timings will be something like 7 7 7 12 (could be different depending on what your ram is. if your timings and speeds match what you have in (also assuming that all memory is alike. try 1 stick. if it cruds out, try a different stick...you might have a bad stick of ram.
m
l
May 14, 2012 12:14:43 PM

Wondering compatibility issues between my motherboard and RAM also. I have been researching about and haven't found anything. The BioStar motherboard is fairly new though.

Diablo III comes out tonight and it seems I will have to play on my old comp unless I get lucky this afternoon.

I am not great in the BIOS area but think I located the RAM voltage area and changed it from Auto to 1.5V. I tried again and got the same problem. Haven't tried it with only one stick of RAM yet but that is what I will try next. I am unsure where to change the timings of the RAM but will start looking.

Thanks for the help!!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 14, 2012 12:57:27 PM

have you done any burn in tests since you built your new computer? does it pass the ram and cpu tests?
m
l
May 14, 2012 1:00:33 PM

This is my first build so I did not know to do that. I followed a guide and didn't see that as part of it. Any help or can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks!!
m
l
May 14, 2012 2:13:03 PM

uggh biostar...sorry I've had more issues with them.

ok, list out models...

Ram _________
MB _________
Proc________
Power_______
Video_______
m
l
May 14, 2012 2:43:33 PM

(Optional: Adjust ram timings and possibly voltage), before attempting OS install you should really run memtest86+ to check if that provokes any errors to come out of the wood works.
m
l
May 14, 2012 8:53:43 PM

lupinesithlord said:
uggh biostar...sorry I've had more issues with them.

ok, list out models...

Ram _________
MB _________
Proc________
Power_______
Video_______

RAM: GSkill 2x4gb DDR# 1333
MB: Biostar TZ77Xe4
CPU: i5-3570k
Power: OCZ 700W ATX12V / EPS12V
Video: EVGA GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB

Should I test the RAM first or just try one stick at a time? It takes about 15 minutes of loading before it fails.
m
l
May 14, 2012 9:05:36 PM

Just a quick note, I have a new ivy bridge with a new gigabyte z77 board. They just released a bios update that fixed compatibility issues. My cpu was crashing constantly. I updated the bios (thanks to the members here who showed me there was a new bios out) and was able to finally get through a memory test without crashing. still testing the system to make sure this solved my issues but I would make sure the bios is up to date to see if that would help.
m
l
May 14, 2012 9:10:49 PM

dsrtlzrd32 said:
Just a quick note, I have a new ivy bridge with a new gigabyte z77 board. They just released a bios update that fixed compatibility issues. My cpu was crashing constantly. I updated the bios (thanks to the members here who showed me there was a new bios out) and was able to finally get through a memory test without crashing. still testing the system to make sure this solved my issues but I would make sure the bios is up to date to see if that would help.

Did you at least get an OS loaded? I thought a BIOS update was a last resort type of thing. I am not at my comp right now but do remember a BIOS date of 2/14/12 or so though.
m
l
May 15, 2012 1:11:28 AM

Memtest86+ has been running for almost 4 hours with no reported errors so far.
m
l
May 15, 2012 6:37:24 AM

Memtest86+ passed both sticks of RAM but when I tried the Win7 install with only one stick, it worked fine. What gives?
m
l
May 15, 2012 2:08:52 PM

update the bios in your board, some boards will have issues with banks being full (usually all four)

upon putting the ram back in, if you start getting errors and crashes I would rma the stick for good measure.
m
l

Best solution

May 15, 2012 3:39:28 PM

gtechman said:
Did you at least get an OS loaded? I thought a BIOS update was a last resort type of thing. I am not at my comp right now but do remember a BIOS date of 2/14/12 or so though.

Sorry to get back so late, I see that the latest bios update for biostar is 04/19/12. I had a gigabyte board. Turns out I ended up still having crashing issues, I had to rma my board. I did get an os installed as my computer would sometimes stay on for 5 minutes up to two hours before it crashed. If you think you can get through a flash of the bios, I would recommend getting the latest update, just to rule out any issues there.
May 15, 2012 5:19:48 PM

Haven't updated the BIOS yet, but it is unstable when I put both sticks in. Both sticks test out good on the mem check. Just odd.

I guess I should go look around for some Biostar forums to see if it's a noted problem.
m
l
May 22, 2012 12:14:51 PM

Just an update. I finally got the system stable, but only because I put in one stick of RAM.

Either of the RAM sticks works and is stable. If I put them in pairs, the system is unstable and just reboots.

BioStar of course tells me it's probably the CPU. I still haven't updated the BIOS but am waiting on an answer from them about it.

The best that I can think of is voltage issues or some BIOS tweaks. I may order some more memory just to rule out bad RAM.

Still stuck :( 
m
l
May 24, 2012 6:12:26 PM

Seems updating the BIOS worked. So far the system is stable with both RAM sticks.

Interesting that upgrading the BIOS on a brand new board is needed before you can install more than one stick of RAM.
m
l
May 24, 2012 6:13:19 PM

Best answer selected by gtechman.
m
l
!