New build cant install OS

gtechman

Honorable
May 4, 2012
Here are the parts I ordered http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8973

I don't get a POST beep but the system does go into BIOS. I am attempting to install Win7 and keep getting a BSOD at various points. The farthest I have gotten is after expanding all the files and then it went into update and crashed.

Any help? Or is there any more information I could post to make it easier to debug?

Thanks!!

Solution

Sorry to get back so late, I see that the latest bios update for biostar is 04/19/12. I had a gigabyte board. Turns out I ended up still having crashing issues, I had to rma my board. I did get an os installed as my computer would sometimes stay on for 5 minutes up to two hours before it crashed. If you think you can get through a flash of the bios, I would recommend getting the latest update, just to rule out any issues there.

gtechman

Honorable
May 4, 2012
Tried to install Vista to rule out my Win7 disk. I have the same problem with that disk too. Could it be my Liteon DVD? I am going to try to put Win7 on a bootable USB.

gtechman

Honorable
May 4, 2012
I did try installing Win7 to a different HD but got the same error. I also tried swapping the SATA cables. There is always a chance I got a bad combo because I just swapped between the 3 I had in hand and had to use 2 at a time.

gtechman

Honorable
May 4, 2012
Pulled MB out of case to do breadboarding checks. Only hooked up DVD and HDD. Tried Win7 install again and BSOD about same point.

Figured out there is no speaker in my case so that's why I am getting no POST beeps.

lupinesithlord

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
there will be a place for memory timings, in the bios. its beginning to sound like either the memory timings are off, or theres a bad stick. timings will be something like 7 7 7 12 (could be different depending on what your ram is. if your timings and speeds match what you have in (also assuming that all memory is alike. try 1 stick. if it cruds out, try a different stick...you might have a bad stick of ram.

gtechman

Honorable
May 4, 2012
Wondering compatibility issues between my motherboard and RAM also. I have been researching about and haven't found anything. The BioStar motherboard is fairly new though.

Diablo III comes out tonight and it seems I will have to play on my old comp unless I get lucky this afternoon.

I am not great in the BIOS area but think I located the RAM voltage area and changed it from Auto to 1.5V. I tried again and got the same problem. Haven't tried it with only one stick of RAM yet but that is what I will try next. I am unsure where to change the timings of the RAM but will start looking.

Thanks for the help!!

Agges

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
(Optional: Adjust ram timings and possibly voltage), before attempting OS install you should really run memtest86+ to check if that provokes any errors to come out of the wood works.

gtechman

Honorable
May 4, 2012

RAM: GSkill 2x4gb DDR# 1333
MB: Biostar TZ77Xe4
CPU: i5-3570k
Power: OCZ 700W ATX12V / EPS12V
Video: EVGA GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB

Should I test the RAM first or just try one stick at a time? It takes about 15 minutes of loading before it fails.

dsrtlzrd32

Honorable
May 12, 2012
Just a quick note, I have a new ivy bridge with a new gigabyte z77 board. They just released a bios update that fixed compatibility issues. My cpu was crashing constantly. I updated the bios (thanks to the members here who showed me there was a new bios out) and was able to finally get through a memory test without crashing. still testing the system to make sure this solved my issues but I would make sure the bios is up to date to see if that would help.

gtechman

Honorable
May 4, 2012

Did you at least get an OS loaded? I thought a BIOS update was a last resort type of thing. I am not at my comp right now but do remember a BIOS date of 2/14/12 or so though.

lupinesithlord

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
update the bios in your board, some boards will have issues with banks being full (usually all four)

upon putting the ram back in, if you start getting errors and crashes I would rma the stick for good measure.

dsrtlzrd32

Honorable
May 12, 2012

Sorry to get back so late, I see that the latest bios update for biostar is 04/19/12. I had a gigabyte board. Turns out I ended up still having crashing issues, I had to rma my board. I did get an os installed as my computer would sometimes stay on for 5 minutes up to two hours before it crashed. If you think you can get through a flash of the bios, I would recommend getting the latest update, just to rule out any issues there.

Solution

gtechman

Honorable
May 4, 2012
Haven't updated the BIOS yet, but it is unstable when I put both sticks in. Both sticks test out good on the mem check. Just odd.

I guess I should go look around for some Biostar forums to see if it's a noted problem.