Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Macbook Pro i7

Last response: in Mac Os X
Share
September 2, 2010 5:18:24 PM

I am most likely going to buy a 15'' Macbook Pro for school. I've never owned a Mac before. I've always been a PC guy.
Anyway, I'm curious about the performance of the i7 in the Macbook Pro. I did some research and I noticed that Apple is (for some reason) using the lowest version of the i7 mobile CPUs. They use the 620m. The 620 isn't even a true quad-core CPU. It's simply a hyper threaded dual core.

I would use this laptop for school work, internet browsing, and perhaps a few games. But the reason I want the i7 is because I plan to do some computer animation on this laptop. Will the 620m be sufficient for computer modeling and rendering? I also plan to upgrade to 8GB of RAM.

Does Apple have any other i7 models in their Macbooks? I find it odd that when paying $3,000 for a laptop, I'm still getting the most basic of i7s.

On a broader note, will the Macbook Pro itself being a good choice for computer rendering, or should I look really be looking at PC laptops?

Thanks! :) 

More about : macbook pro

September 2, 2010 7:17:33 PM

personally i wouldn't spend that much for a system with a dual core when for <$1500 you could get a better system with the i7-920qm

i know some people don't like cyberpower, but for laptops they are fine
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Xplorer_X6-8500_Note...

configure how you want, i7-740qm, 8GB ram, mobility 5650, 15.6" 1080p LED backlit for ~$1300
m
0
l
September 2, 2010 7:24:10 PM

thecolorcute said:
I find it odd that when paying $3,000 for a laptop, I'm still getting the most basic of i7s.

That's Apple for you! Is there any particular reason why you're going for a Mac rather than a PC? I wonder because you seem to have highlighted the reasons why it's a bad idea.

There are valid reasons for buying a Mac, if you have enough spare cash, but I just wondered what yours were.
m
0
l
Related resources
September 2, 2010 11:13:07 PM

Ijack said:
That's Apple for you! Is there any particular reason why you're going for a Mac rather than a PC? I wonder because you seem to have highlighted the reasons why it's a bad idea.

There are valid reasons for buying a Mac, if you have enough spare cash, but I just wondered what yours were.


Well, there's a portability need involved. A gaming laptop is going to be relatively heavy and thick, whereas the Mac is only about 5lbs and less than an inch thick.
I have the cash. In fact, price really isn't an object. But I don't want to get some powerful laptop that's enormous that I'm going to have to lug around campus.
m
0
l
September 2, 2010 11:15:57 PM

mindless728 said:
personally i wouldn't spend that much for a system with a dual core when for <$1500 you could get a better system with the i7-920qm

i know some people don't like cyberpower, but for laptops they are fine
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Xplorer_X6-8500_Note...

configure how you want, i7-740qm, 8GB ram, mobility 5650, 15.6" 1080p LED backlit for ~$1300

Very true. I never really considered CP. I'll check them out. But, again, portability is an object. It can't weight 10lbs (like the Toshiba Qosmio) haha.
m
0
l
September 2, 2010 11:28:36 PM

5.95 LBs with Battery Pack isn't so bad, especially considering the hardware inside
m
0
l

Best solution

September 3, 2010 6:30:10 AM

thecolorcute said:
Well, there's a portability need involved. A gaming laptop is going to be relatively heavy and thick, whereas the Mac is only about 5lbs and less than an inch thick.
I have the cash. In fact, price really isn't an object. But I don't want to get some powerful laptop that's enormous that I'm going to have to lug around campus.

But you're not comparing like for like. If you need a powerful, gaming laptop then the Mac's going to be no use to you. If you don't need that there are plenty of lightweight PC laptops that have better specifications than a MacBook.

If I were you I would make a list of your priorities and compare Mac and PC laptops to see which suits your needs best. If you don't want a powerful laptop then either will do (though an equivalent Mac will cost about twice what a PC will). If you need to run OS X then the Mac is the obvious choice, but make sure that all the software that you need is available for OS X.
Share
September 7, 2010 11:20:55 PM

I totally agree with "ijack" what you need to do first is make a list of things that you want to accomplish with your computer the important things. And then make a choice between Mac Book Pro, Mac Book or even a Windows based PC.
m
0
l
October 11, 2010 11:34:11 PM

Best answer selected by buwish.
m
0
l
!