Solved

Macbook Pro i7

I am most likely going to buy a 15'' Macbook Pro for school. I've never owned a Mac before. I've always been a PC guy.
Anyway, I'm curious about the performance of the i7 in the Macbook Pro. I did some research and I noticed that Apple is (for some reason) using the lowest version of the i7 mobile CPUs. They use the 620m. The 620 isn't even a true quad-core CPU. It's simply a hyper threaded dual core.

I would use this laptop for school work, internet browsing, and perhaps a few games. But the reason I want the i7 is because I plan to do some computer animation on this laptop. Will the 620m be sufficient for computer modeling and rendering? I also plan to upgrade to 8GB of RAM.

Does Apple have any other i7 models in their Macbooks? I find it odd that when paying $3,000 for a laptop, I'm still getting the most basic of i7s.

On a broader note, will the Macbook Pro itself being a good choice for computer rendering, or should I look really be looking at PC laptops?

Thanks! :)
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about macbook
  1. personally i wouldn't spend that much for a system with a dual core when for <$1500 you could get a better system with the i7-920qm

i know some people don't like cyberpower, but for laptops they are fine
    http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Xplorer_X6-8500_Notebook/

configure how you want, i7-740qm, 8GB ram, mobility 5650, 15.6" 1080p LED backlit for ~$1300
  2. thecolorcute said:
    I find it odd that when paying $3,000 for a laptop, I'm still getting the most basic of i7s.

That's Apple for you! Is there any particular reason why you're going for a Mac rather than a PC? I wonder because you seem to have highlighted the reasons why it's a bad idea.

There are valid reasons for buying a Mac, if you have enough spare cash, but I just wondered what yours were.
  3. Ijack said:
    That's Apple for you! Is there any particular reason why you're going for a Mac rather than a PC? I wonder because you seem to have highlighted the reasons why it's a bad idea.

There are valid reasons for buying a Mac, if you have enough spare cash, but I just wondered what yours were.

Well, there's a portability need involved. A gaming laptop is going to be relatively heavy and thick, whereas the Mac is only about 5lbs and less than an inch thick.
    I have the cash. In fact, price really isn't an object. But I don't want to get some powerful laptop that's enormous that I'm going to have to lug around campus.
  4. mindless728 said:
    personally i wouldn't spend that much for a system with a dual core when for <$1500 you could get a better system with the i7-920qm

i know some people don't like cyberpower, but for laptops they are fine
    http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Xplorer_X6-8500_Notebook/

configure how you want, i7-740qm, 8GB ram, mobility 5650, 15.6" 1080p LED backlit for ~$1300

Very true. I never really considered CP. I'll check them out. But, again, portability is an object. It can't weight 10lbs (like the Toshiba Qosmio) haha.
  5. 5.95 LBs with Battery Pack isn't so bad, especially considering the hardware inside
  6. Best answer
    thecolorcute said:
    Well, there's a portability need involved. A gaming laptop is going to be relatively heavy and thick, whereas the Mac is only about 5lbs and less than an inch thick.
    I have the cash. In fact, price really isn't an object. But I don't want to get some powerful laptop that's enormous that I'm going to have to lug around campus.

But you're not comparing like for like. If you need a powerful, gaming laptop then the Mac's going to be no use to you. If you don't need that there are plenty of lightweight PC laptops that have better specifications than a MacBook.

If I were you I would make a list of your priorities and compare Mac and PC laptops to see which suits your needs best. If you don't want a powerful laptop then either will do (though an equivalent Mac will cost about twice what a PC will). If you need to run OS X then the Mac is the obvious choice, but make sure that all the software that you need is available for OS X.
  7. I totally agree with "ijack" what you need to do first is make a list of things that you want to accomplish with your computer the important things. And then make a choice between Mac Book Pro, Mac Book or even a Windows based PC.
  8. Best answer selected by buwish.
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Macbook Pro Intel i7 Mac OS X