About the 975 chipset...

severeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
OK, I have been very frustrated with the information about this chipset. I was wanting to know if this chipset supports SLi AND crossfire or just crossfire...

(im another geek doin the 805 thing.... using the koolance premade rackmount for water cooling...)

pausert20

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
OK, I have been very frustrated with the information about this chipset. I was wanting to know if this chipset supports SLi AND crossfire or just crossfire...

(im another geek doin the 805 thing.... using the koolance premade rackmount for water cooling...)

Short answer: 975 does not work with SLi cards. Does work with Crossfire cards.

Longer Answer: Nothing is preventing the 975 from working with SLi cards except Nvidia. They believe or their actions indicate they do not want to share their chipsets ability to run SLi. I have even heard that there is a ATI driver that allows Crossfire to work on Nvidia motherboards.

It all comes down to the Nvidia Nforce drivers. What happens is that if you install an SLi configuration on a 975 motherboard the Nforce drivers look to see what board they are in. If it comes up 975 i.e.(Intel) then the SLi driver will not load and no SLi for you.

I don't even know if enough people requested support for Sli on Intel chipsets like the people who try to get extra seasons out of TV nework shows that Nvidia would cave in.

Rumor has it that Intel went to Nvidia and asked what they needed to do to get SLi support in the Nvidia Drivers for their chipsets. Nvidia said nothing because they would never enable SLi on Intel Chipsets.

This of course sounds like a baby throwing its toys out of it pram when it does not get its way. :D

Hope this explanation helps.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

Short answer: 975 does not work with SLi cards. Does work with Crossfire cards.

Longer Answer: Nothing is preventing the 975 from working with SLi cards except Nvidia. They believe or their actions indicate they do not want to share their chipsets ability to run SLi. I have even heard that there is a ATI driver that allows Crossfire to work on Nvidia motherboards.

It all comes down to the Nvidia Nforce drivers. What happens is that if you install an SLi configuration on a 975 motherboard the Nforce drivers look to see what board they are in. If it comes up 975 i.e.(Intel) then the SLi driver will not load and no SLi for you.

I don't even know if enough people requested support for Sli on Intel chipsets like the people who try to get extra seasons out of TV nework shows that Nvidia would cave in.

Rumor has it that Intel went to Nvidia and asked what they needed to do to get SLi support in the Nvidia Drivers for their chipsets. Nvidia said nothing because they would never enable SLi on Intel Chipsets.

This of course sounds like a baby throwing its toys out of it pram when it does not get its way. :D

Hope this explanation helps.I've heard that SLI drivers are on the way, and if not, someone will hack a driver to run it.

severeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
ok, I wasnt really familiar with teh SLi architecture, I was under the assumtion that the northbridge had to be designed for it.

TRENDING THREADS