Problems with GTX580 DCUII or Intel 3000 HD

2MinNoodles

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012
Hey guys/girls

I recently built my own rig and this is a new thing for me; ie the actual building of a pc and setting everything up. I referred to the guy who sold me parts, builder himself, and forums when I ran into problems but otherwise I highly doubt there was anything wrong with my actual set up of my rig.

Not to waste your guy's time, I'll get to the point. In brief the components of my rig are as follows:

Intel i5 2500K
8GB Dominator GT 1866Mhz
Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z
Asus GTX580 DCUII
1200W psu
ssd + secondary and tertiary hdd
H100 cooling

When I received the GPU it wasn't plastic sealed like the other components and the packaging also seemed like it was old stock so a thought of skepticism towards the GPU crossed my mind.

Now, after a while of the pc running hundreds, whenever I try to open a game (window's games - haven't installed any proper ones), a message would pop up saying that "no suitable graphics device found". This was intermittent; some days it would come up, other days the programme would open fine. That guy that I know stated that it may be an interference between the discrete gpu and the integrated Intel 3000 HD that comes with the motherboard. He uninstalled Lucid Virtu and everything ran fine again. My gpu widget started showing movement in the usage graph again for the GTX580 etc.

Then after a week the problem came back and when I asked the guy again he told me to disable the 3000 HD in the bios menu. I apologise if this is what to do and I don't know better, as I said I'm a "newbie" and you can slander me with a rig like this but I have my reasons for getting something of this standard.

Back to the point it doesn't seem right to me that an integrated graphics card that was intended to work in conjunction with a discrete card must be disabled for the pc to actually run properly. I don't think the guy has a true understanding of my pc as he's had little experience with the ROG bios (and I understand that, the bios is not conventional).

What I'm asking now is 1) if I must really disable the integrated graphics and if so where in bios do I find that because I tried looking through every single tab there is. And 2) for your guys opinion on this matter as I trust a whole community of knowledge and experience more over someone that I know yes, but not necessarily know much about the components with my rig.

On a side note, I did have my motherboard checked because it gave me prior problems about an USB hub port that my ssd+hdd's never picked up therefore I kept having problems installing Windows initially. It was finally resolved with the report saying that nothing was wrong with my motherboard... also I mentioned the packaging about the GTX580 because I am skeptical about the condition about the gpu and the motherboard. The last thing I want is to have faulty components after everything came to this sort of expense.

Thank you guys in advance and please let me know of your opinions pertaining to the graphics issue.

Kind regards

2MinNoodles

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012
Hey guys,

I know that my post was very long to read and I apologise for that. I just wanted to give as detailed a description as possible so that it may be easier to answer my question.

After reading the forums some more about Discrete graphics + Intel Integrated graphics, I strongly believe that there is a problem with my graphics card or motherboard.

Can you guys please give me any indication/help as to what the problem might be?

The I.T. guy that I know keeps saying that I must disable the 3000 HD in bios and I cannot take my system back to the components distributor because they only do free checks on separate components; I use this system for university work as well everyday. Otherwise they charge me R400/+-$50 to check and they've already done so before saying that nothing is wrong. The whole system now seems just like a $3500 iPad... at least the iPad has the App store :sweat:

I've reached a dead end of frustration with this problem - whole of last week no Windows games/YouTube videos could be opened; today the games work again yet my Graphics usage indicator still shows nothing.

Please could anyone help me work out this problem? I would really appreciate feedback thanks.

Ps: Moderators, for some reason I'm not allowed to edit my post format (discussion to question) nor the body of my message; not that it really matters as long as people are fine with reading an essay and giving any help :)

xninelives

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012

I'm no genius, but the least amount of advice to help you out (which I actually think would be good) is if you tried a different video card. Borrow one from your friend or something. A good idea is to buy one from your local electronics store, see if it works, then after done testing, just return it within the week.

Helping others gives good karma!

2MinNoodles

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012

Thanks for your suggestion X, I'd definitely go out straight and buy a card to test but I live in South Africa and most of the shop's return policies state that once opened it cannot be returned. However I am thinking now to go back and ask the distributor to test my system using one of their gpu's.

Thanks again :)

If anyone else knows of this problem directly please give input; it would really be appreciated.