Changing D drive icon

Hi,

During wireless setup wizard then it asked me to save config on a
removable drive, I selected D drive. Now my PC thinks my D drive is a
removable drive and have changed Icon(Looks like USB Drive).

I tried Repair option from Power Toys but it still have Removable Drive
icon. How can I tell my computer D drive is a fix drive? I need my old
icon back. BTW, restore point was not created when it changed icon so
can't roll it back with system restore.

Thanks in advance,

Sam

Sam Munzani rambled on in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:

> Hi,
>
> During wireless setup wizard then it asked me to save config on a
> removable drive, I selected D drive. Now my PC thinks my D drive is a
> removable drive and have changed Icon(Looks like USB Drive).
>
> I tried Repair option from Power Toys but it still have Removable Drive
> icon. How can I tell my computer D drive is a fix drive? I need my old
> icon back. BTW, restore point was not created when it changed icon so
> can't roll it back with system restore.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Sam

Run regedit and goto....

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
\DriveIcons

>>During wireless setup wizard then it asked me to save config on a
>>removable drive, I selected D drive. Now my PC thinks my D drive is a
>>removable drive and have changed Icon(Looks like USB Drive).
>>
>>I tried Repair option from Power Toys but it still have Removable Drive
>>icon. How can I tell my computer D drive is a fix drive? I need my old
>>icon back. BTW, restore point was not created when it changed icon so
>>can't roll it back with system restore.
>>

> Run regedit and goto....
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
> \DriveIcons

I didn't have those keys in Registry. After doing some google search I
found a post that told me to delete autorun.inf file from root of D
drive and reboot. Fortunately that worked out perfect.

I found following in autorun.inf.

[autorun]
OPEN=setupSNK.exe
ICON=\SMRTNTKY\fcw.ico
ACTION=Wireless Network Setup Wizard

Just delete the file totally and reboot was fix.

Thanks for the help,
Sam

>>During wireless setup wizard then it asked me to save config on a
>>removable drive, I selected D drive. Now my PC thinks my D drive is a
>>removable drive and have changed Icon(Looks like USB Drive).
>>
>>I tried Repair option from Power Toys but it still have Removable Drive
>>icon. How can I tell my computer D drive is a fix drive? I need my old
>>icon back. BTW, restore point was not created when it changed icon so
>>can't roll it back with system restore.
>>

> Run regedit and goto....
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
> \DriveIcons

I didn't have those keys in Registry. After doing some google search I
found a post that told me to delete autorun.inf file from root of D
drive and reboot. Fortunately that worked out perfect.

I found following in autorun.inf.

[autorun]
OPEN=setupSNK.exe
ICON=\SMRTNTKY\fcw.ico
ACTION=Wireless Network Setup Wizard

Just delete the file totally and reboot was fix.

Thanks for the help,
Sam

jim_31

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011

>>During wireless setup wizard then it asked me to save config on a
>>removable drive, I selected D drive. Now my PC thinks my D drive is a
>>removable drive and have changed Icon(Looks like USB Drive).
>>
>>I tried Repair option from Power Toys but it still have Removable Drive
>>icon. How can I tell my computer D drive is a fix drive? I need my old
>>icon back. BTW, restore point was not created when it changed icon so
>>can't roll it back with system restore.
>>

> Run regedit and goto....
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
> \DriveIcons

I didn't have those keys in Registry. After doing some google search I
found a post that told me to delete autorun.inf file from root of D
drive and reboot. Fortunately that worked out perfect.

I found following in autorun.inf.

[autorun]
OPEN=setupSNK.exe
ICON=\SMRTNTKY\fcw.ico
ACTION=Wireless Network Setup Wizard

Just delete the file totally and reboot was fix.

Thanks for the help,
Sam

I had the same problem and also solved it by deleting the autorun.inf file from the root of D drive. Thank you very much
Happy :wahoo:

surendhar

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Hello,
[autorun]
OPEN=setupSNK.exe
ICON=\SMRTNTKY\fcw.ico
ACTION=Wireless Network Setup Wizard ????

how can i [autorun]