Changing D drive icon

Hi,

During wireless setup wizard then it asked me to save config on a
removable drive, I selected D drive. Now my PC thinks my D drive is a
removable drive and have changed Icon(Looks like USB Drive).

I tried Repair option from Power Toys but it still have Removable Drive
icon. How can I tell my computer D drive is a fix drive? I need my old
icon back. BTW, restore point was not created when it changed icon so
can't roll it back with system restore.

Thanks in advance,

Sam
5 answers Last reply
More about changing drive icon

    Sam Munzani rambled on in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:

    > Hi,
    >
    > During wireless setup wizard then it asked me to save config on a
    > removable drive, I selected D drive. Now my PC thinks my D drive is a
    > removable drive and have changed Icon(Looks like USB Drive).
    >
    > I tried Repair option from Power Toys but it still have Removable Drive
    > icon. How can I tell my computer D drive is a fix drive? I need my old
    > icon back. BTW, restore point was not created when it changed icon so
    > can't roll it back with system restore.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Sam

    Run regedit and goto....

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
    \DriveIcons

    >>During wireless setup wizard then it asked me to save config on a
    >>removable drive, I selected D drive. Now my PC thinks my D drive is a
    >>removable drive and have changed Icon(Looks like USB Drive).
    >>
    >>I tried Repair option from Power Toys but it still have Removable Drive
    >>icon. How can I tell my computer D drive is a fix drive? I need my old
    >>icon back. BTW, restore point was not created when it changed icon so
    >>can't roll it back with system restore.
    >>

    > Run regedit and goto....
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
    > \DriveIcons

    I didn't have those keys in Registry. After doing some google search I
    found a post that told me to delete autorun.inf file from root of D
    drive and reboot. Fortunately that worked out perfect.

    I found following in autorun.inf.

    [autorun]
    OPEN=setupSNK.exe
    ICON=\SMRTNTKY\fcw.ico
    ACTION=Wireless Network Setup Wizard

    Just delete the file totally and reboot was fix.

    Thanks for the help,
    Sam

    >>During wireless setup wizard then it asked me to save config on a
    >>removable drive, I selected D drive. Now my PC thinks my D drive is a
    >>removable drive and have changed Icon(Looks like USB Drive).
    >>
    >>I tried Repair option from Power Toys but it still have Removable Drive
    >>icon. How can I tell my computer D drive is a fix drive? I need my old
    >>icon back. BTW, restore point was not created when it changed icon so
    >>can't roll it back with system restore.
    >>

    > Run regedit and goto....
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
    > \DriveIcons

    I didn't have those keys in Registry. After doing some google search I
    found a post that told me to delete autorun.inf file from root of D
    drive and reboot. Fortunately that worked out perfect.

    I found following in autorun.inf.

    [autorun]
    OPEN=setupSNK.exe
    ICON=\SMRTNTKY\fcw.ico
    ACTION=Wireless Network Setup Wizard

    Just delete the file totally and reboot was fix.

    Thanks for the help,
    Sam
  4. Quote:

    >>During wireless setup wizard then it asked me to save config on a
    >>removable drive, I selected D drive. Now my PC thinks my D drive is a
    >>removable drive and have changed Icon(Looks like USB Drive).
    >>
    >>I tried Repair option from Power Toys but it still have Removable Drive
    >>icon. How can I tell my computer D drive is a fix drive? I need my old
    >>icon back. BTW, restore point was not created when it changed icon so
    >>can't roll it back with system restore.
    >>

    > Run regedit and goto....
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
    > \DriveIcons

    I didn't have those keys in Registry. After doing some google search I
    found a post that told me to delete autorun.inf file from root of D
    drive and reboot. Fortunately that worked out perfect.

    I found following in autorun.inf.

    [autorun]
    OPEN=setupSNK.exe
    ICON=\SMRTNTKY\fcw.ico
    ACTION=Wireless Network Setup Wizard

    Just delete the file totally and reboot was fix.

    Thanks for the help,
    Sam

    I had the same problem and also solved it by deleting the autorun.inf file from the root of D drive. Thank you very much
    Happy :wahoo:
  5. Hello,
    [autorun]
    OPEN=setupSNK.exe
    ICON=\SMRTNTKY\fcw.ico
    ACTION=Wireless Network Setup Wizard ????

    how can i [autorun]

Configuration Customization Windows XP