GPU or PCI-E problem?

cwolfer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
P8Z68-VLX mobo
GTX 570 gpu

Display through the GPU worked briefly (not long enough to complete windows install). Now monitor insists no input when I have it plugged into the GPU.

Onboard video works fine however.

Only yellow triangle now displaying in windows is for USB 3.0, which is fine.

The GPU is fully hooked up with the two cables coming from power supply. It's getting power to the fan as well, even without those cables.

Posts normally (one normal beep).

I'm actually posting this message from the PC.

Things I've tried:

- Using DVI instead of HDMI.
- Reseating GPU
- Placing GPU in second PCI-e slot.
- Installing Nvidia drivers (unfortunately, nvidia fails to detect a compatible card)
- Searching through BIOS (wasn't sure what I was looking for though, but didn't see anything related to either gpu or pci-e)
- Reseating and changing ram slots. System detects the ram fine though

Things I can't try:

- Running the GPU in another system. I don't have another system to run it in.
- Using another GPU. I don't have another GPU to try.

PSU is 650 watt (Corsair). rest of system is 4 gb ram and i3-2100.

Since everything is running fine on the computer besides the gpu, is there any way to diagnose from within the bios or from within windows whether the problem is the pci-e ports or the gpu? Since the gpu is getting power, I'm leaning towards the problem being the GPU, but I'd like to be sure before I go make yet another exchange (this build has been plagued with problems from the start).

Thanks guys!

Make sure you have the chipset drivers installed. Sometimes Win 7 doesn't know what drivers are needed, so you don't get an alert. With new hardware you sometimes need to use the disk that comes with the MB, just to get the ball rolling.

It does sound like you have a bad video card though.

cwolfer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011

With I had another system to try it in.

Is there any way to determine from within bios or windows 100% whether it's the card or the mobo slots?

cwolfer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011

Replacing a laptop.