Intel B960 - good CPU for my needs?

Hi all! I am from Macedonia, and because of the small interest in my country for people to tell me, i'm seeking out in other countries :D

So, I want to buy a laptop (ASUS K53E) which has an Intel pentium B960 (or B950, but it's one of these two). Now I have eMachines e443 with AMD C-50 (and radeon HD 6250 integrated), and I don't like the speed of the CPU. I mean, because of the 4gbs of RAM I can do plenty of multi-tasking (Photoshop open, Chrome with 7 tabs, Media player classic, Skype, Windows explorer), but the PC seems a bit sluggish (even after a CLEAN formatting), and listening to youtube music lags a lot even with a fully buffered video. So it's not my net connection (I have fiber optic).

I bought it very cheap, for like 270 euros...I was surprised that it could play games (on lowest, but still extra playable. Some games lag a lot and aren't playable: like NFS: Hot Pursuit and newer.).

But it couldn't do what I want: FL Studio (Music production), and Mild Video production. Don't get me wrong - I am not an enthusiastic person, I just do this in my spare time (because I am a student), so I like to make videos only when I'm on vacations...For the school year - I just need a PC which can handle all those school tasks (and from time to time, to render a video, I can wait for as long as it takes, it doesn't bother me).
So, I just want a non-expensive upgrade from my stupid AMD C-50 APU...

I think that the ASUS K53E with the B960 would be a good CPU for me? Because the laptops with i3's are more expensive, and my budget doesn't cover that :D
I mean, there are laptops with i3's within my budgets, but they are all made of plastic and very cheaply built...

Thank you in advance!
19 answers Last reply
More about intel b960 good needs
  1. The difference between the B960 and B950 is a 100MHz difference which is nothing.

The pentium will be faster than the C-50 in CPU intensive tasks but less fast in the graphics section.
  2. jay_nar2012 said:
    The difference between the B960 and B950 is a 100MHz difference which is nothing.

The pentium will be faster than the C-50 in CPU intensive tasks but less fast in the graphics section.

Less fast in the graphics section vs the C-50?
    As I can see from youtube people play GTA IV, Mafia 2 on this CPU without problems on lowest details getting ~25-30fps.. (I've passed a lot of games below 20fps and I've got the nerves, believe me :D )
  3. GTA IV is more CPU intensive then GPU.
  4. jay_nar2012 said:
    GTA IV is more CPU intensive then GPU.

But still, for other non-gaming purposes the b960 would be great right?
  5. Yes.
  6. anything else someone would want to add?
  7. Have you tried tweaking your current laptop, like disable visual effects, end processes you don't need?

Setting your GPU to performance mode.
  8. jay_nar2012 said:
    Have you tried tweaking your current laptop, like disable visual effects, end processes you don't need?

Setting your GPU to performance mode.

Nope, nothing :D

I know that when I played NFS Carbon for like 2 hours, suddenly it became so laggy I couldn't play so I had to turn of the game. When I got back to windows, YouTube HD video became choppy and out-of-sync. I've formatted it, installed a fresh new Windows, installed the drivers that came with it - the same problem..
    And when I try to update the radeon drivers, it doesn't detect this GPU (it gives me some kind of error when I turn on AMD Vision engine control center, so I had to downgrade it to the stable version of drivers)
  9. On second thought - yes! Disabled AERO, nothing else

Now when I click catalyst control center it won't open up the program!
  10. Try reinstalling the control center.
  11. jay_nar2012 said:
    Try reinstalling the control center.

Now it's OK, but still doesn't let me update control center :\

(Before the problem it updated like a charm)
    Could it be a hardware fault?
  12. Have you checked your CPU and GPU temp?

Google core temp and gpu temp and download both.
  13. jay_nar2012 said:
    Have you checked your CPU and GPU temp?

Google core temp and gpu temp and download both.

Core temp:
    http://snag.gy/qohGI.jpg

GPU temp:

http://snag.gy/pmWJT.jpg
  14. Your links don't work properly (image doesn't load), try photobucket if you want.
  15. jay_nar2012 said:
    Your links don't work properly (image doesn't load), try photobucket if you want.

16. Still no luck.
  17. It's a laptop......those temps can be upwards of 100C.
  18. And C-50s are low power chips.
  19. Here are the screenshots:

Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs