Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

System upgrade $550

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 13, 2012 7:43:19 AM

Hi I am going to upgrade my PC and i am considering about two options.. I am from Sri Lanka and prices are somewhat high in here.. So i have mentioned prices from local shops..

Current Specs
-i5 2400-
-8GB Kingston 1333mhz- (4GB x2)
-Axle GTX 550 ti 1GB
-Corsair GS600 ( 48A in +12v rail)-
-Asus P8H61-MLX-
-320GB Sumsung HDD-

Resolution
-1920x1080-

Budget
-$550-

Option 1 (Buy a SLI Capable mobo and add another GTX 550 ti)

-Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3- ($140)
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...

-Another GTX 550ti and SLI- ($140)
http://www.axle3d.com/eng/productspec.php?id=324

-Force 3 60GB SSD- ($130)
http://www.corsair.com/ssd/force-series-3-ssd/force-ser...

-1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue HDD- ($100)
http://wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=110

Total ~ $510



Option 2 (Keep my current mobo and add a gtx 560 ti)

-Asus GTX 560 ti Direct CUII Top 1GB- ($300)
http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA_Series/ENGTX5...

-Force 3 60GB SSD- ($130)
http://www.corsair.com/ssd/force-series-3-ssd/force-ser...

-1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue HDD- ($100)
http://wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=110

Total ~ $530


Which one is better to go with? My mobo doesn't have SATA 3 ports and if go with option 1 I can take maximum speed of my ssd.. Also GTX 550 ti SLI is better than Single 560 ti but this is a dead end and i have no upgrade path.. I am really confused in here.. Help please.. Thanks in advance..

More about : system upgrade 550

a b B Homebuilt system
May 13, 2012 8:58:05 AM

option 3

- sell 550ti

- buy gtx 670 + 1tb WD hard drive
May 13, 2012 9:58:42 AM

computernewb said:
option 3

- sell 550ti

- buy gtx 670 + 1tb WD hard drive


Not Possible.. Only HD 7970/7950 available and it is 700$ and 610$ in here.. :(  They are going to import HD7850/7870 end of this month for the first time.. No idea about the price though.. They will take at least 2 months to bring a 670 and it will be nearly 600$.. :( 
Related resources
May 13, 2012 1:52:26 PM

lakshitharxx said:
Not Possible.. Only HD 7970/7950 available and it is 700$ and 610$ in here.. :(  They are going to import HD7850/7870 end of this month for the first time.. No idea about the price though.. They will take at least 2 months to bring a 670 and it will be nearly 600$.. :( 


Not going to specifically choose an option, however, I'd go with upgrading Graphics Card (weather thats adding one, or selling and adding a better one) aswell as upgrading the motherboard. I believe SSD drives are a little bit over rated, and aren't a priority. Thus why I mainly focus on Processor/G Card/Motherboard/RAM.
May 13, 2012 2:11:34 PM

sell 550ti, that might get you 100$, buy a better video card, maybe a 560ti or something along those lines, you dont need to sepnd a ton of money to get more performance, i have always prefered buying upgrades one littl bit at a time anyway.
then do what you want with the rest, also if not the 560ti, maybe a 580 or
radeon 79__ something?
May 13, 2012 6:09:40 PM

What's with all this talk of replacing a 550ti? Its a perfectly fine gaming card for anything out right now.

What you need, is to get on Solid State. Sink as much of your budget in to space on this drive, you'll regret not getting as much as you think you'll need. Don't buy another Hard Drive unless you need more than the 350GB you already have. Use it as secondary storage.

If you want to (and you motherboard can support it) get another 550ti for extra frames. All of my systems have been upgraded to SLI/Crossfire and it always works as long as the motherboard is 16x/16x.

Edit: Quick Google search shows that SLI isn't possible on your motherboard. You'd need a new one. The SSD is more important though.
May 14, 2012 5:40:04 AM

Quote:
sell 550ti, that might get you 100$, buy a better video card, maybe a 560ti or something along those lines, you dont need to sepnd a ton of money to get more performance, i have always prefered buying upgrades one littl bit at a time anyway.
then do what you want with the rest, also if not the 560ti, maybe a 580 or
radeon 79__ something?


Quote:
Not going to specifically choose an option, however, I'd go with upgrading Graphics Card (weather thats adding one, or selling and adding a better one) aswell as upgrading the motherboard. I believe SSD drives are a little bit over rated, and aren't a priority. Thus why I mainly focus on Processor/G Card/Motherboard/RAM.


I can afford for GTX570+HDD.. Yes i also think that SSD is not necessary right now.. HDD+GTX560ti+Mobo is also affordable.. but i think one upgrade at a time is a good idea.. HDD is necessary so i will go with 570..


Quote:
What's with all this talk of replacing a 550ti? Its a perfectly fine gaming card for anything out right now.


What you need, is to get on Solid State. Sink as much of your budget in to space on this drive, you'll regret not getting as much as you think you'll need. Don't buy another Hard Drive unless you need more than the 350GB you already have. Use it as secondary storage.


If you want to (and you motherboard can support it) get another 550ti for extra frames. All of my systems have been upgraded to SLI/Crossfire and it always works as long as the motherboard is 16x/16x.


Edit: Quick Google search shows that SLI isn't possible on your motherboard. You'd need a new one. The SSD is more important though.


It can't handle everything smoothly at 1080p.. If i sli 550 that is a dead end.. I have mentioned it in first post..
May 14, 2012 7:01:42 AM

I don't think I understand what you mean by it being a dead end. If you're saying that two 550ti's will not last as long as the rest of the parts in the build you're mistaken.

That's more than enough graphical power for a few years and you're most likely going to build a new rig by that point. If you aren't getting smooth framerates with it, something is wrong or you need to back off on the settings... Ultra is why we have expensive high end cards.

The system you have is not high end and can't go very far upgrade-wise. Again, I think the only real upgrade you can make to it that you could really feel would be to get an SSD. Oh, and you will never feel the difference between SATA II and III under normal use. Hell, even the difference between high and low end SSDs is fairly marginal.
May 17, 2012 12:51:01 PM

Decided to wait few weeks and buy a new HD78xx card + HDD.. Thanks guys..
May 17, 2012 10:53:11 PM

your welcome, good luck oh and smashman, people dont always just buy new every 2 years, many people upgrade a single system for years and years, saves a lot of trouble with new hdds and windows and stuff too. and less expencive each time you upgrade, i hate dropping a ton of cash at a time. dotn forget to select a best answer and keep us posted after you're done upgrading!
!