I5 2310 vs i5 2400 vs i3 2120

Astralman

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2012
Which one is better for gaming performance? Just between these two cpu's of course so please do not mention other cpu's. I know I already made another thread about cpu's but I'm trying to narrow this farther and farther down to find out exactly which is the best cpu for the buck.

Solution
The HIS Ice-Q 7850 is a very nice card and is not a low end , loq quality brand so you should do well with it no matter how long you keep it. As for the cpu the i5-2400 being the best of the three you listed will be a good choice to go with the 7850 and as far as the poer supply goes any time you can get a deal you have to go for it even if it's more tha you need , your only going to use what you need anyway. Plus you can't beat modular for convienence.

Depends where you are and what your local prices are. It also depends to some degree on what the rest of your system is like and what games at what resolution you want to play.

Mactronix :)

Your sig says that you have the i5-2500k so why would you want to know about lesser cpus? Plus your hijacking someone else's thread so you need to start your own so we can answer the question posed by AstralMan.

I wouldn't touch any of the i5-23xx series. Overclocked Phenom IIs can perform better than i5-2300, as well as 2310 and within spitting distance of 2320. You really need to go 2400 or better to get out of their reach.

As far as which is better the 3450 or 2400. For gaming, they perform the same, for productivity work the 3450 has a slight advantage over the 2400 (very marginal, about 6% on average).

BTW, you mentioned 3 CPUs not two. lol. So in answer to your question in the strictest sense. i5-2400 is the best of the 3.

Astralman

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2012
Well I'm building my first computer. As I have in my basket right now I have a 7850 2gb gpu, 8gb ram, MSI Z77A motherboard, Hive 650watt power supply. I don't think letting you know the power supply completely matters but there ya go.

The power supply is actually one of the most overlooked critical components you can choose for your system. You always want to pick a good quality power supply. I cannot stress enough how important it is. But, to get back on the topic.

It helps to know what your entire budget is, what games you're looking to play and at what detail settings. Also, what type of 7850 are you looking at? I'd recommend a Sapphire brand personally.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102999

If this is the power supply you're looking at, its a good one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182132

Although you really don't need 650 watts for a single video card w/ i5 system. a good 500 watt PSU is plenty.

Astralman

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2012
Yea, that is the one I'm looking at. The main reason I'm getting it is because it is bundled with the Rosewill Blackhawk case at a $65 reduced price overall. Which means I'm getting that power supply for basically 20 bucks.

Right now for mainly budget reasons and a lot of good reviews I have the His IceQ X 7850. Probably not the best brand, but this is only a year graphics card.

I didn't mean mention the power supply was pointless overall, just for this specific topic as I knew that my power supply was much more than what people are telling me I need. That and its somewhat modular and I want modular.

The HIS Ice-Q 7850 is a very nice card and is not a low end , loq quality brand so you should do well with it no matter how long you keep it. As for the cpu the i5-2400 being the best of the three you listed will be a good choice to go with the 7850 and as far as the poer supply goes any time you can get a deal you have to go for it even if it's more tha you need , your only going to use what you need anyway. Plus you can't beat modular for convienence.

Solution