Gaming upgrade advice ... socket 775 to socket 1155

I'm looking for some system upgrade advice for my current setup. I'll first post my specs:

Intel - Q9400 2.6 Ghz
Corsair - 4 GB - DDR2 - PC2-6400 (533.3 mhz)
WD Black HD (not in raid) - 2 x 1 TB
Gigabyte EP45-UD3R
Nvidia GeForce - GTX 570

I'm looking to upgrade to gain better FPS in games. I'm assuming my FPS bottleneck right now is my socket 775 processor? I've looked at several similar posts and everyone seems to love and recommend the i5-2500K Sandy Bridge socket 1155 processor.
Im also looking at motherboards obviously and could use some advice on which chipset I want to be running (I'm assuming the Z77??).
Lastly, I've toyed with the idea of grabbing and SSD drive for my OS/Game files to be run off of. Can anyone comment on any performance theyv'e seen when switching from standard sata drives to and SSD setup?

Any advice/input would be much appreciated!
7 answers Last reply
More about gaming upgrade advice socket socket 1155
  1. The good thing is that you have a very decent video card in the GTX 570 and an upgrade would only need to be the cpu and motherboard along with maybe a SSD if you want to.
    I have been using SSD's as the Os drive since they came out and I can't tell you the difference anymore because it's been so long since I've used a regular hard drive. All I can tell you is I won't be ever using a regular hard drive as the OS drive again unless there is some kind of change in the construction of one that I don't know about.
    If your looking to go with a Z-77 MB then you should also be looking at the Ivy Bridge cpu also. If you want to go with the i5-2500k then go with the Z-68 MB.

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K
    $229.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504

ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
    $149.99 and a $20 rebate makes the final price $129.99.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131837

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K
    $219.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072

ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
    $175.99 and a $20 rebate makes the final price $155.99.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131792

Yes they are the same socket and they will each work in both boards but they were made with the cpus in mind so to take advantage of the features you can use them it the MB it was designed for. A 2500k won't be able to take advantage of all the features of the Z77 board.

SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC128B/WW 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
    $99.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147163

A good size SSD for the OS is a 128 gb .
  2. The Q9400 can probably be OC'd a bit without too much trouble; the late C2Q's are about as fast per clock as AMD's Phenom II CPU's, but the reliance on the FSB kills memory bandwidth. Try OCing a bit and see if you can get acceptable FPS.
  3. Thanks so much for the replies!

Ive got a Gigabyte board, but im a bit clueless on how to overclock the CPU and set voltages correctly. :(

I'm leaning towards going with the Z77 chipset. Can't hurt to have the newer features for almost the same price, right? I've never owned an ASUS board. I pretty much always stuck with Gigabyte, but the reviews look good on this one.

In regards to SSDs: Do you install all games/programs on that drive as well and then just have a larger drive for storage?

Forgot that I'll have to upgrade RAM as well, which is cheap right now.
  4. Normally people install windows or what ever OS you are using and games on a SSD and put the rest on a regular HHD as you said.
  5. As far as ram goes you can pick up 8 gb for $50 as long as you have the 64 bit version of Windows.
    I would put the OS and a current game or two on the SSD and the rest on the storage drive. You don't want to fill up the SSD with just anything.
    If you like Gigabyte boards better then you can get a Z-77 board from them also I just listed that board as an option as to what you could get.

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9R
    $49.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233180
  6. echopapa said:

Ive got a Gigabyte board, but im a bit clueless on how to overclock the CPU and set voltages correctly. :(

Well some Gigabyte boards can OC the CPU, while some can't. You need to provide the exact mobo model #. There is also an overclocking sub-forum where people can give you advice.
  7. I use a QX9650 for my "workhorse" machine and also have a Gigabyte GA-EP45T-USB3P, not exactly the same but similar chipset. Plus an EVGA GTX 570, factory OCed.

If you can OC with your board, I'd try to kick up your Q9400 to at least 3GHz, which if your board allows it should be quite possible with out very aggressive adjustments. Running at 3GHz natively, outside of a small number of recent titles, I get very adequate frame rates with my monitor's native resolution of 1440x900, with full video features enabled and 75Hz refresh. Maybe if I ran at a much higher resolution the situation would be different, but even so with that setup I am not dissatisfied at all.

As far as upgrading the whole system, I'm personally waiting to see how Haswell plays out, and go from there. If it's a major revision to Intel's line, I might pick up the best-of-the-pack-for-the-price. If it's a bit more modest (which Intel is suggesting it will be, with a 10% improvement at the same clock over IB), I'd go with an Sandy or Ivy Bridge, which will likely be a bit cheaper by then.

So, if you can OC to 3GHz, I wouldn't buy out of Core 2 right now. Either way, starting to prepare for a new system now (and gradually buying parts for it) may not be a bad idea, if you can get what you want for a good price.

LordHaHa
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Socket Product