Closed Solved

What do you think of this budget build

I'm doing a fairly cheap build for an aunt who is replacing her 7 or 8 year old computer. She isn't really doing anything major just email, MS Office, watching movies, watching video's of her grand kids and pictures. So what do you think of this build.

Case- Unsure yet to be determined

CPU- Intel Pentium G860

Motherboard-Intel BOXDH61CRB3

Video- GT 520 (Had it laying around for months so I'll just give it to her I don't care)

PSU- PC Power and cooling 400W

RAM- 4 Gigs DDR3 1066 by Elpida

Seagate Barracuda 500 Gig HDD 7200 RPM

Liteon Optical Drive

I think that's everything if you notice I missed something just ask I'll fill in the gap right away.
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about what budget build
  1. Looks like a nice build that should do what you are Aunt is looking to do with it easily. You dont have a monitor, keyboard, mouse or an OS listed so if you dont have these items you will need to get them. Also for a case take a look at this Rosewill case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147123
  2. IntelEnthusiast said:
    Looks like a nice build that should do what you are Aunt is looking to do with it easily. You dont have a monitor, keyboard, mouse or an OS listed so if you dont have these items you will need to get them. Also for a case take a look at this Rosewill case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147123


    I knew I forgot something. I'm going over to look at her setup. I don't know how old her monitor is or what size it is so that's also to be determined. Same thing with mouse and keyboard, at this point I don't know how old they are or how beat up they are either. I do have Windows 7 64bit OEM.
  3. bjfaia5 said:
    I do have Windows 7 64bit OEM.

    If it is a new OEM version, you should be good to go. But remember, an OEM copy is legally licenced only for the build it is originally installed on.
  4. clutchc said:
    If it is a new OEM version, you should be good to go. But remember, an OEM copy is legally licenced only for the build it is originally installed on.


    Yes it is a brand new copy of W7. It's one of those copies that are just 64 bit for 99 dollars retail. I always wonder though. Lets say I took a copy of Windows XP from a Dell and tried to put it on a new built, non Dell computer then used the license from that copy what would happen. Would it consider it a legitimate copy of Windows even though it's not the original OEM Dell?
  5. Best answer
    It will install fine. But... More than likely, when you go to activate Windows, it will say it is not genuine. Then you will be instructed how to buy a new license for that copy. There are other options, but I'd rather not say what they are.
  6. Ok I was just wondering more than anything. Like I said I never tried and it was something I always wondered, I didn't think Microsoft would let it be that easy. Anyway so do you think the Pentium is good enough or for a little more should I bump it up to an I3 2120?
  7. bjfaia5 said:
    Ok I was just wondering more than anything. Like I said I never tried and it was something I always wondered, I didn't think Microsoft would let it be that easy. Anyway so do you think the Pentium is good enough or for a little more should I bump it up to an I3 2120?

    Unless your aunt is planning on becoming a gamer, there'd be no benefit to her have a i3-2120.
  8. Lol no I can't even picture that. She realy doesn't know much about computers so I don't think she'll be playing games anytime soon.
  9. Best answer selected by bjfaia5.
  10. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Build Product