multi-boot system

Okay...maybe i should restate my question. I am attempting to uninstall my
current version of Windows XP and install a Multi-boot system consisting of
DOS 6.22, Windows 98 & Windows XP. I know first and foremost that Windows XP
does not support DOS 6.22 but since I am multi-booting with windows 98 is XP
going to somehow affect the operation of the DOS set-up? Next question...I
have been reading articles in different web cites stating that making the
boot disk for Windows XP requires a 6 diskette download in my a:/ drive. Is
it necessary to put the OS onto the 6 diskettes before converting it to a
CD-RW or can I just download WinImage and burn DOS 6.22, Win 98 & Win XP
directly from the site I have in mind? And no, I don't have Win XP software
disk anymore! lol
--
:p

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

boot from a floppy with dos and partition the drive 3 ways
you will have to find out the partition sizes for dos and win98
format the first partition with dos then run set up for win98
and format the second partition as fat32 then install xp
as far as i know u cant do it the other way round

"JustANewbie" <JustANewbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Okay...maybe i should restate my question. I am attempting to uninstall
> my
> current version of Windows XP and install a Multi-boot system consisting
> of
> DOS 6.22, Windows 98 & Windows XP. I know first and foremost that Windows
> XP
> does not support DOS 6.22 but since I am multi-booting with windows 98 is
> XP
> going to somehow affect the operation of the DOS set-up? Next
> question...I
> have been reading articles in different web cites stating that making the
> boot disk for Windows XP requires a 6 diskette download in my a:/ drive.
> Is
> it necessary to put the OS onto the 6 diskettes before converting it to a
> CD-RW or can I just download WinImage and burn DOS 6.22, Win 98 & Win XP
> directly from the site I have in mind? And no, I don't have Win XP
> software
> disk anymore! lol
> --
> :p

I'm believe it is possible to run them all on the same partition, but I
agree with the 3-partitions.
At the very least, have DOS on a separate partition and put Win98 and XP on
the same.
XP will see that 98 is on already and appropriately provide a menu for dual
boot.

Once again, the 3-partitions is still a better plan.

"steve" <andrew.rourke@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> boot from a floppy with dos and partition the drive 3 ways
> you will have to find out the partition sizes for dos and win98
> format the first partition with dos then run set up for win98
> and format the second partition as fat32 then install xp
> as far as i know u cant do it the other way round
>

> "JustANewbie" <JustANewbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Okay...maybe i should restate my question. I am attempting to uninstall
> > my
> > current version of Windows XP and install a Multi-boot system consisting
> > of
> > DOS 6.22, Windows 98 & Windows XP. I know first and foremost that
Windows
> > XP
> > does not support DOS 6.22 but since I am multi-booting with windows 98
is
> > XP
> > going to somehow affect the operation of the DOS set-up? Next
> > question...I
> > have been reading articles in different web cites stating that making
the
> > boot disk for Windows XP requires a 6 diskette download in my a:/ drive.
> > Is
> > it necessary to put the OS onto the 6 diskettes before converting it to
> > CD-RW or can I just download WinImage and burn DOS 6.22, Win 98 & Win XP
> > directly from the site I have in mind? And no, I don't have Win XP
> > software
> > disk anymore! lol
> > --
> > :p

Three partitions is the *only* plan. Install Dos first on a small partition.
On the next partition install Win 98 and on the final partition install
windows XP. Don't attempt to install windows 98 and xp on the same
partition.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert