Replacing Ivy Bridge with Haswell

mkk255

Honorable
May 1, 2012
Hey guys I've had Ivy Bridge for many months but what happens when Haswell comes out in regards of upgrading? Would it be as simple as taking the PC apart and buying a new CPU and a compatible mobo next year and putting it in my system?

Pretty much, although a Windows re-installation/Repair install may be needed, as well (different motherboard).

I wouldn't even worry about Haswell if you have an Ivy CPU, though. It just won't really be worth it, unless you're just one of those people that has to have the latest and greatest, regardless of if it's worth it or not.

I'm not upgrading until Skylake, at the earliest, myself.

There is still a lot up in the air about our next generation of processors but the general rule is that should get around 3 year out of a system unless you have a major change to the type of applications that you are doing with your system. So if you are going to start doing a lot of video editing the you might start looking at upgrading your system sooner.

Haswell's performance increase may or may not be enough to really justify an upgrade from Ivy Bridge. If you are one of those people who simply wants to upgrade anytime something new hits the market, then you are going to be upgrading the CPU about once every year and upgrading the motherboard about once every two years if you stick with Intel.

+100000000000000000000000

Don't upgrade a system UNLESS you have to, by then upgrading from an ivybridge to a skylake CPU will be the best option!