Sign in with
Your question

Computer getting extremely loud while under load.

Last response: in CPUs
August 30, 2012 9:01:54 PM

I built my computer about a year ago and I've just recently changed the back fan in an attempt to lower the noise output it's producing. I'm running an ati HD 4850 with an amd athlon ii x3 rana 450 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...). I am running the stock cpu fan and an older antec 500 watt power supply. The temp of the cpu at idol is around 36C and under full load goes up to around 65C, which is when it gets loud. I am wondering what I can do to lower the noise and to possibly trouble shoot where it's coming from. I suspect it's the power supply, but I'm not sure :/ 

Any help will be much appreciated, as this computer is being used in the family room and currently sounds like a lawn mower while playing Guild Wars 2.

PC Temps under load: http://imgur.com/9vpIl
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 76 ) Power supply
August 30, 2012 9:09:11 PM

It's coming from the CPU fan, and stock AMD fans (or stock fans, in general, really) are notoriously loud.

Not much you can do about it except get an aftermarket heatsink.
m
l
August 30, 2012 9:21:16 PM

That's kind of what I was figuring :/  Is 65C a dangerous temp for my cpu to be getting up to, or am I alright for a while while I look into what cooler to get?
m
l
Related resources
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 76 ) Power supply
August 30, 2012 9:22:58 PM

woahbrono said:
That's kind of what I was figuring :/  Is 65C a dangerous temp for my cpu to be getting up to, or am I alright for a while while I look into what cooler to get?

Max temp for that CPU is 75C, so you're fine as far as that goes.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b ) Power supply
August 30, 2012 9:32:53 PM

the fan spin up is because of heat. when is the last time you cleaned the dust from ALL the heat sinks and fans in your case ? When is the last time you cleaned off old and reapplied new thermal paste to your cpu heat sink ?.......... and don't forget to do the same to your video card.
m
l
!