Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Newly built pc, installed graphic drivers, and im stuck at 800x600.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 10, 2012 7:11:50 PM

Greetings, everytime I google a problem I always end up to tom's hardware lol. I almost always try to research, and find previous people with similiar problems, go about the routes instructed by others to follow, and normally I can fix it myself without having to pay someone to do it for me.

But, unfortunally, I am stuck, lost clueless... I would shell out some $$$ but I already forked over too much this week, in attempts to rebuild my once powerful rig.

Once night, after 5 hours of stressful, late hours in adobe... My computer froze, and I haven't saved my progress in along time... I tried to quickly restart the computer, but it came to a pause during startup and stood there. I was a bit drunk, and extremely pissed... I then did the worst thing possible, and lived in regret since... I picked up the entire computer, (with the side panel off), and slammed it on the ground... I then punched the inside, a good 3-4 times, mostly right at the CPU heatsink area... I was very pissed, then went to bed... The next morning my computer was dead, wouldnt boot up. Ok, so thats how I got into this mess... And don't worry guys, really, I don't drink anymore... That was the day I quit, when I lost my egxpensive desktop.

Now, I am stuck at buying a new pc, or trying to fix this. I decided I was going to try and fix it. So without it starting up, I went out and bought a 750W Thermaltake Power Supply. Went home, installed it... It was power up for about 3 seconds, then off... I tried pulling the ram out, leavine one stick in... Same thing, I tried resetting the BIO's battery, and still no luck... So I decided now I need to go and buy a motherboard...

I went out and bought a Sabertooth x58 (1366 Socket), and a very nice CPU heatsink cooler... Also bought a new case, i figured why not just do it right! Got home, after a few hours I got it all installed... This is my first time installing a motherboard, but I'm ok with computers... I read the manual here and there, to double check myself...

Anyways... Now I got it all up and running. I got it to boot to windows 7 desktop. Keep in mind, I am using the same Hard drives. I was now on my old OS, and I was installing the motherboard drivers. Everything thus far has gone good, but my graphics card which is a GeForce GTX 460. I installed the drivers directly from nVidia's website, reset the PC, and I get this error when I try to click the nVidia quick icon by the clock;

"NVIDIA Display settings are not available. You are not currently using a display attached to an NVIDIA GPU".

Now I have tried downloading the drivers, and also installing clean. That did not work, so I completley installed a fresh new copy of windows 7. Again, installed all the drivers and updates (From service packs, to any sort of driver windows update has to install). After a fresh new windows, and fulled upgraded including all drivers... I still cannot get to change the resolution of the screen...

Now, my question is... Is my GPU bad? I am almost positive nothing hit the card, and it doesnt look at all damaged. I have a display on one of my monitors, but I cant change my resolution nor will the nVidia cPanel open. Or did I possibly forget to change something when switching motherboards? I went from a MSI m58x to a Sabertooth n58. I have a i7 920 @ 2.67GHz, 9 Gigs of RAM (DDR3).

After switching motherboards, I installed drivers, and found no success. Then I reinstalled Windows 7 cleanly, wiped everything off, to start new... And same thing... But I get a display on my monitor...

Please, any help would be greatly appericated... Thank you!
a c 1363 U Graphics card
March 10, 2012 7:46:34 PM

If your monitor is attached to your card (only option I presume) it looks like the card did not like the banging of the computer on the ground!
Score
a c 85 U Graphics card
March 10, 2012 7:53:05 PM

remove the graphic card and check carefully just a tiny crack in the base where the connector are and card is out ,you will have to go for a new one
Score
Related resources
March 10, 2012 7:53:31 PM

rolli59 said:
If your monitor is attached to your card (only option I presume) it looks like the card did not like the banging of the computer on the ground!

I wouldnt have liked it either... I feel like a asshat, and I have since changed my ways... I guess the real question is, can a GPU be dead but yet still display a minimal signal, but only at 800x600?
Score
a c 85 U Graphics card
March 10, 2012 7:58:25 PM

when you hit the inside could be a hit on it too,try her in another computer if it still on 800x600 then card is out
Score
a c 1363 U Graphics card
March 10, 2012 8:01:35 PM

Looks like the BIOS or windows is not picking up that it is a nvidia card therefore running on the win default VGA drivers.
Score
March 10, 2012 8:03:30 PM

scout_03 said:
when you hit the inside could be a hit on it too,try her in another computer if it still on 800x600 then card is out

Unfortunally I dont have another PC, only a desktop and a laptop... Also, I have the monitor connected to the video card, not the motherboard... I have it connected, and i get a output but its only 800x600... Guess only way to find out is to get a new GPU, damn... :(  Big mistake, i learned the hard way i presume.
Score
March 10, 2012 8:05:22 PM

rolli59 said:
Looks like the BIOS or windows is not picking up that it is a nvidia card therefore running on the win default VGA drivers.

That is the only thing I have not yet tried. I have accessed the BIOs menu from bootup, but I see no option for a GPU, and its weird language... Its like 80% english, and then 20% are jibberish, its pretty crazy... Unless I am blind, Im going to check the manual for the motherboard right now, see if theres a way to change that option in the BIOs, i looked but didn't see anything when I last had it up...
Score

Best solution

a c 85 U Graphics card
March 10, 2012 8:35:56 PM

your card is plug in the first pci-e 16 slot and power connector are on then remove the nvidia and reload the latest install if size still the same and you could not acces nvidia control panel then card is realy out,latest driver http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-295.73...
March 10, 2012 8:49:01 PM

Best answer selected by DKRTech.
Score
March 10, 2012 8:51:33 PM

scout_03 said:
your card is plug in the first pci-e 16 slot and power connector are on then remove the nvidia and reload the latest install if size still the same and you could not acces nvidia control panel then card is realy out,latest driver http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-295.73...

Sadly, but unfortunally I agree my card is dead... :( 

Leaving now to the store, to buy a new one... Lesson learned, don't drink and computer, unless you can handle an error now and there, lol... Im sure it would have been alot cheaper to fix if I didn't office space the tower... I hate life, but anywho I must undo what I did.... Thank you all for the support.
Score
a c 85 U Graphics card
March 11, 2012 12:36:12 AM

@DKRTech we all learn from error ,enjoy new system when build is finish
Score
a c 169 U Graphics card
March 11, 2012 10:20:50 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
!