mrpuppt

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2007
Greetings...

I have an HP Elite M904N PC running in a different case from the factory standard. It has an IPIBL-LA (Berkeley) motherboard with the core 2 quad q6600 chip from Intel. 4 gigs of ram, with a GeForce 9600 gt video card with 1gig of video ram. Everything running on a 650 watt power supply.

Recently I made the dumbest move ever, and spilled some fruit punch in the case, while the pc was turned on. It immediately shut off, without me doing anything and would not come back on. My first thought was the power supply fried itself, but I tested it and it works fine. Closer inspection revealed black burn marks in one of the 4 pin connector holes on the motherboard next to the core 2 quad chip, that a power cable plugs into. The 4 pin connector on the cable from the power supply also has burn marks in one of the 4 pin holes. I don't smell anything burnt per se, nor do I see anything weird on the core 2 quad chip. I have removed the video card, and unplugged power to everything but the motherboard and the quad core chip.

My best guess is I've fried either the chip or the motherboard, but I don't have another board to try the chip in to find out, or could both be fried? I did try an older motherboard in my case and it came on fine (thinking it might have friend my power switch).

Any help anyone could give would be most helpful. I can't afford to replace motherboard and chip both for some time, it's also well out of warranty, so I need help major.

Thanks!!!

jay_nar2012

Distinguished
In the case, so you had the case open while having a drink?

If you have dried up all the residue juice of the parts, run the board outside the case on a insulating material like cardboard and test components.

You can buy a replacement board for not a lot of money -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-SKT-775-G41MT-S2PT-Motherboard-Rev/dp/B005RG96T8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1346367444&sr=8-2
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Executive-Mini-ITX-Graphics-1333MHz/dp/B001BN17ZM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346367502&sr=8-1&keywords=LGA775+boards

mrpuppt

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2007
Originally posted by jay_nar2012: In the case, so you had the case open while having a drink?

My case has a fan on the top for added ventilation. It sits on the floor next to my desk (as my desk is small). I had the punch on my desk, and when I knocked over the glass, some of it went into the fan vent, therefore into the case.

I have the motherboard out as you suggest, with just the leads going to the case power & led, reset, etc, and noticed that the power led light on the case comes on and stays on when I plug the power supply in, and I haven't pressed the "on" button yet. It does nothing when I do press it.

How can I test the chip or the motherboard if I don't have any other hardware to test them with? Or am I screwed and need to buy the mobo and the chip?

jay_nar2012

Distinguished
Misread again.

I wouldn't recommend putting your other parts back in the board from the risk of damage to the parts, you can try just the CPU although the 4 pin connector was for the CPU power....

If you can wait until you can get a new board, then wait and if you,ve got one use a spare computer for now and put all your parts (GPU, CPU, RAM) in a box in a safe place.

You can try putting in just the CPU and powering on to see what happens but its your choice.

mrpuppt

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2007
Originally posted by jay_nar2012:

It comes from the power supply... (sorry not the best with the pc lingo) You have the main 24 pin connector for the mobo, and there is a 6 pin one for the graphics card... well there is a 4 pin one that plugs into the mobo right next to the quad core chip. (not sure of the technical term for it)

Oh, and thank you very much for helping me out. Even if we go no where fast, I do appreciate the time taken!! :)

mrpuppt

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2007
Ok... so with with the cpu power looking like it has burn marks, do you think my cpu survived? I might can afford a new mobo but not it and the chip both. I don't want to get the mobo in and still be dead in the water because my chip is fried too.

There was no smoke, no sparks, no nothing when this happened. I just saw the liquid run down into the case, and then the pc shuts off. Wondering what the odds are that my cpu might not be fried...

jay_nar2012

Distinguished
Thats the thing CPUs don't spark or anything, they die silently, the only way to know if its actually working is put it in this board and see if it does anything or get a new board and see if it does anything.

I honestly don't know what else you can do other than try running the board with the CPU or get a new board and try it or see if a friend or family member has a LGA775 computer (has a C2D or C2Q) and ask if you can try it in there.

mrpuppt

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2007
Originally posted by jay_nar2012:

Thats the thing CPUs don't spark or anything, they die silently, the only way to know if its actually working is put it in this board and see if it does anything or get a new board and see if it does anything.

I honestly don't know what else you can do other than try running the board with the CPU or get a new board and try it or see if a friend or family member has a LGA775 computer (has a C2D or C2Q) and ask if you can try it in there.

Well, I found a mobo on Amazon for $50 bucks... very similar to the one I have. I would love for this to be the perfect chance to upgrade, but I'll be lucky to get what I had :p

I'll see if I can swing that mobo and go from there. I guess I'm lucky in that I don't do any serious gaming (other than WoW) so I'm not losing anything super expensive. We'll keep our fingers crossed that the cpu didn't die.

Thanks for the help! Even though I'm still pc'less (other than a laptop I borrowed from a friend) I have gained some knowledge... and that is always a good thing.