PCI Simple Communications Controller (drivers missing)

PTNLemay

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
I did a Google search and a search here on Tom's Hardware forums to see if this question has been brought up before, which it has. But it seems like every time the question is asked, a different answer is given, which confuses me greatly. I just finished setting up the first computer I built myself. All in all I would declare it a great success. I was a little disappointed with my graphics performances (I had heard that Intel HD 4000 would be great for casual gaming) so I decided to see if I could find more up to date drivers.

Here's my parts list.
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77
CPU: Ivy Bridge i5-3570K
Boot Drive: Crucial M4 (128 GB)
Storage Dirve: Western Digital 2TB Black
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x2GB (1333MHz)
PSU: 80+ Gold rated LEPA 500W
Case: Lancool K63
Plus an old optical drive I had lying around.

I got all my drivers off of the ASUS website, and they all installed without a problem, but when looking at the drivers in the Data Manager, I found an exclamation point in "Other Devices". Like the title says, the "PCI Simple Communications Controller" says it's drivers are not installed. I didn't find anything like that on the ASUS site. Although there are a bunch of utilties from the site I didn't bother to include. Someone told me that's all mostly bloat, and that to run properly you only need the chipset, LAN, VGA, audio, and USB.

I found a thread that seemed to offer a solution, but it was for an HP computer, so it might use HP drivers... I'm not sure where I can find the ASUS equivalent. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

endiablado

Honorable
May 27, 2012
Discovered the same problem with an ASUS Sabretooth Z77 MoBo. The solution proposed by Grumpy Moose worked. Explore the ASUS install disk, navigate to "Drivers\MEI" and invoke Setup.exe there.

Hope this helps someone else.

PossumJenkins

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
I concur with the above statements also. I had the same problem with the PCI simple communications controller on an ASUS SABERTOOTH z77 board. Running the install disc got rid of the exclamation mark

Also:
- After installing Windows 8 my system crashed twice but did repair itself. I haven't figured out why yet. Just FYI. I advise to manually apply a Restore Point every few drivers and/or apps so the rollback isn't too far if a crash happens.

- Use the drivers from the SUPPORT site, not the CD.

- Always check the Device Manager to see if all drivers installed, or if there are conflicts.

- *I've disabled the ASSIST FANS until the temp is 60deg. These fans are annoying when on. Using the fan software in Windows, I observed that the fans are quiet at 40deg but at 46deg they buzz very loudly. Seriously ASUS? WTF?

- **My advice on FANS is this:
a) get a good CPU HSF
b) Use TWO front case fans if possible
c) Use TWO top-top/top-rear case fans if possible
d) Use the 4-pin PWM fans that can drop to a very LOW speed/low noise
e) Adjust your profile carefully (in Windows with fan software) for minimum noise
f) Adjust ASSIST FANS to turn on at about 60deg (basically just for an EMERGENCY)
g) *Note that with FOUR case fans you can get good, quiet cooling that will probably eliminate the need for the ASSIST FANS to ever turn on when configured as above.

Anthony_49

Reputable
Jan 1, 2016
Thank you to the folks above. I have an ASUS X79-Deluxe with the same PCI Comm problem. Installed the MEI drivers via the setup executable and worked. It does NOT work by trying to install through device manager/update drivers and point to the MEI folder on the ASUS disk. You have to select startup.exe. Thank you!!

Skeeyou

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014

thanks man you really helped a lot !