My First Build!

mruiz

Honorable
May 13, 2012
I got a lot of useful advice on here and other forums so I wanted to put up the -almost- final result. I say almost because I'm still waiting on the video card and heatsink to come in so for now I'm using the motherboard's onboard video and the stock CPU cooler.

Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V
CPU: Intel i5 3570k
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengence (4x4)
Power Supply: Corsair TX850M (850 Watt)
SSD: Crucial M4 128GB
Additional Hard Drive: WD Black Cav 1TB SATA 6.0
Optical Drive: LG 22x SATA DVD Burner

Things I'm still waiting on...

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14

This is my first build and besides a minor hiccup with the driver updates everything's up and running, here's some pics. Will update when the rest of the components come in.

BTW I have to say that the case (Corsair Obsidian 650D is awesome. 1 big 200mm intake fan in the front, another exaust on top and a smaller exaust in the upper back of the case. Built in fan control settings but even on full blast it's very tolerable and I have the feeling the little noise there is is mainly coming from the stock CPU cooler. Another huge plus, cable management is a breeze with this case!

Now my next headache is regarding the monitor. The purpose of the build is for gaming but I've just been using my TV to get everything setup. I'm waiting until the video card comes in to figure out which monitor I'll be getting. With all the discussion of 60hertz vs 120hertz and 1080p vs 1200 and then some people saying over a 24 inch is not worth it while others swear by 27+ inches, I'm not sure which way to go.

photo-5.jpg

photo-4.jpg

I tied down a couple of cables here but mainly went for the sweep under the carpet approach.

photo-3.jpg

What mess?

photo-2.jpg

AbdullahG

Distinguished

Yes, but RAM nowadays is so cheap (and is getting cheaper), it wouldn't hurt getting 16GB.

Nice looking build. How are temps on the i5? Ivy seems to run a bit hot based on the reviews.

mruiz

Honorable
May 13, 2012

When I first went into the bios I saw it was running at about 30c or so with the stock cooler but the CPU wasn't stressed very much yet. I'll do some tests before and after I get the new heatsink in.

As far as the RAM stuff, I remember when having a gig of ram was top of the line, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before 16 gigs will be useful to have. I had the budget for it and wanted to build a machine that would be at least decent for the next couple of years.

mruiz

Honorable
May 13, 2012
It's not which is a good thing. Either way it seems like I can remove them... The Noctua heatsink should be coming in today or tomorrow so we'll see what happens.

mruiz

Honorable
May 13, 2012
Noctua nh14 heatsink installed! I did have an issue with my fourth stick of ram, there wasn't enough room for the heatsink so I had to remove the RAM heatsink. It took me about 15 minutes or so of putting it under the hair dryer to loosen the glue and slowly opening it with a screw driver.

After that the rest of the setup was pretty easy. Idle temps were at about 24c just after installing, and it is much quieter than the stock heatsink! The Geforce GTX680 comes in tomorrow and then it'll be complete!

photo-8.jpg

Naked ram.

photo-7.jpg

Perfect fit!

photo-6.jpg

Done!

mruiz

Honorable
May 13, 2012
I realized I installed the CPU cooler the wrong way so I switched it around to correct the airflow and ran Prime95, CPU stayed at a good 30c. Video card comes in today!